Suzuki Jimny "Expedition" Build

krl81

Adventurer
Yepp! You got it right! :) And if someone wants to join me I have a nice 3 person tent, a Hilleberg that weighs a little more than 4 pounds. :D

wuntenn

Adventurer
Just realized you'd got this under way, and wow you've really gone for it. It's looking great. I love the attention to detail - the countersunk tie-downs etc - those little touches just make such a difference. The sleeping platform is going to be a great addition. I had a Subaru Justy van before the Land Rover and although I'm 6' tall I was able to sleep inside easily despite its apparently small interior. With some careful construction of the interior - as you're doing - you can get a lot in.

Clamp two lengths of alloy pipe to the roof rails, insert a length of narrower pipe inside each one, drill and tap a hole about 2/3 along from the front through both and another hole at the front end of the inside pipe, and then you can pull the inside pipes out over the rear door, nip up the bolt to hold it secure, drape some material over it and peg it down to make a rear awning. Cheap and cheerful.

These wee Suzukis are fantastic little machines - I drove one once and was astonished what it would climb up, effortlessly.

Great build - keep it going and for goodness sake watch the rest of your fingers man!

krl81

Adventurer
And thank you for the awning solution! I have been thinking more than one sleepless night of how to solve it and that will be the way for me! :D

houndofmeath

Observer
I was thinking of adding a shelf like that to my samurai. Love the camp table idea. Awesome build you have going!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

wuntenn

Adventurer
And thank you for the awning solution! I have been thinking more than one sleepless night of how to solve it and that will be the way for me! :D

You're welcome - I did that on my LR roofrack (which has now been removed). Works fine. Just think out exactly where you need the set of holes so that the two align when the pipes are fully 'nested' and that when slid out the retaining holes again are in alignment. You can put a red ring of paint around the nested pipe (inner one) to show when it is drawn out the correct distance with an alignment mark on the side to show that the hole placement on the two (inner and outer) pipes is aligned also.

Glad to see you can still count to 10!

krl81

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Always fun that someone else but me likes what I do. :)

You're welcome - I did that on my LR roofrack (which has now been removed). Works fine. Just think out exactly where you need the set of holes so that the two align when the pipes are fully 'nested' and that when slid out the retaining holes again are in alignment. You can put a red ring of paint around the nested pipe (inner one) to show when it is drawn out the correct distance with an alignment mark on the side to show that the hole placement on the two (inner and outer) pipes is aligned also.

Glad to see you can still count to 10!

Good idea with the markings. I can imagine myself without them, swearing and eventually ripping the pipes off and throw them into nearest lake. :D
What dimensions would you recommend?

Yeah, all 10 still attached. I actually gained some finger since my index finger have some weird swollen lump in it. :)

wuntenn

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Always fun that someone else but me likes what I do. :)

Good idea with the markings. I can imagine myself without them, swearing and eventually ripping the pipes off and throw them into nearest lake. :D
What dimensions would you recommend?

Yeah, all 10 still attached. I actually gained some finger since my index finger have some weird swollen lump in it. :)

Dimensions? Well you have a choice - if you use round pipe you can also nest any small diameter round pipe you can find that fits inside. If you want to be smart you can go oversized with the outer pipe and use an inverted U channel the same length inside with a narrower round or square inside that, which is the height of your vehicle, with a swivel fastening at the end, which will make a 'drop leg' that enables you to fasten fabric around giving a structure that has four solid points of contact - the pipes attached to your roof on either side and the ground on each side. Whatever tubular/U/square material you can get a hold of really - best to use alloy as it doesn't rust so fast, is plenty strong enough and importantly is light.

krl81

Adventurer
That second solution sounds like a really good one. I think I could actually go with a little smaller dimensions that way when it doesn't have to support itself in the same way.

There has been some progress in the last days.

I put in four of these into the front part of the platform. What are they called in english?

20140505_165438.jpg

I put them in to be able to put these in to hang the platform as a table

ögleskruv.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the table side of the platform but I stained it black and put 3 or 4 layers of clearcoat.

Got the platform painted, covered in carpet and finished

20140505_202121.jpg

Here you can see how I meant the front seat need to sit. Little easier to show than explain. :)

20140505_202051.jpg

Had to test it :)

20140505_202400.jpg

It feels like a lot more room than I expected :)

20140505_202407.jpg

Started on the slide out

20140513_103151.jpg

20140513_175731.jpg

And once again I realized, calculating and building stuff when you're tired will make you redo some of the things. The slide was a perfect fit if it wasn't for the slide fittings. :) So had to make some cuts and reglue the lower sides to make it fit into the cabinet.

20140513_180944.jpg

Getting closer! :D

wuntenn

Adventurer
Looking good! I have no idea what the english name for that is - a flange nut?

That'll be a cosy place to be lying in your sleeping bag as the snow drifts past!

Can you put some form of long slot in some timber on the back door so that when the drawer is slid out another piece on the drawer rides in the slot to support it and stop the door from banging to and for against it? Or are the slides sufficiently strong that that would be overkill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior