spare tire solutions

Box Rocket

It's a little different since you have a fullsize truck, but for me and my Tacoma, the bed space is precious and I can't afford to take up bed space with a spare tire. I'm with you though, I couldn't live with it underneath the bed to get hung up on stuff and I'd rather drag a trailer hitch that isn't going to get hurt beyond a little scratched paint than drag an under the bed spare tire over rocks and risk a puncture to the tire that's there for puncture security in the first place.

I've tried the bedbars (I have a custom bedrack). Personally I don't like the weight of a spare that high. A roof would be worse.

All of this is why I have a rear swing out. IMO it really is the best option. Gets it out from under the truck where it is less prone to damage. It's easier to get to, and won't be covered in dirt/mud when I need it. If the swing out is designed well the departure angle will not be significantly decreased if at all. COG is kept lower than one mounted in a basket over the bed or on a roof. And it's not taking up valuable cargo space in the bed.

HotrodSmurf

Observer
I dig that swing out! Do you ever have a problem hauling something that you would normally haul with the tailgate down? My wife is really worried about that aspect of the swing out.

eggman918

Adventurer
I have carried 2 for years,as a kid it never failed that I would get 2 flats in a row sow when I got my "long term" truck 2 tires that could be accessed with the bed loaded or when stuck so here is what I did.
beach053.jpg

beach017.jpg

I am it the process of making the trailer tires/wheels the same as the truck as has been mentioned earlier.

Box Rocket

Nope. I don't generally haul anything longer than the bed, but if I did, my swingouts are easy to remove. It's literally two bolts since my hinges are just 1" dia bolts with brass bushings instead of the typical spindle/bearing hinges. I can have both swing outs off in under 5 min.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My jeep, you know where it is. My suburban, I'm going with a tire gate.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

stevenboise

Observer
Exactly what I need

How about bed rail crossbars and a basket?
basket1.jpg

That is where mine rides.

Thanks for posting that photo! I've been trying to figure out how to make this work on my Avalanche. I don't want to do any drilling, if avoidable, and I don't have access to build my own set up like others have done. This system looks perfect.

Could I ask what parts this is created from? A lot of these systems look alike, so I don't want to guess that's a Yakima set up.

josh1982

I ordered this one through CBI Offroad Fab. I already have a Trail Gear Rock Defender bumper installed so a swing out wasn't an option. This allows me to store a locking 3 gallon rotopax, the spare tire and the hi lift all in one spot. It should be showing up to my place around the first week of November.

743FDTC-9.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting that photo! I've been trying to figure out how to make this work on my Avalanche. I don't want to do any drilling, if avoidable, and I don't have access to build my own set up like others have done. This system looks perfect.

Could I ask what parts this is created from? A lot of these systems look alike, so I don't want to guess that's a Yakima set up.
You are welcome. Works great. I originally bought the rack for My wife's Malibu Maxx. Turns out it fit just right on the avalanche. The only parts that are Yakima are the fork mounts for the bicycles. The rack was purchased from rackattack.com
I purchased:
1- Thule 400xtr Rapid Aero Foot Pack
1- Thule 544 4-pack Lock Cores
1- Thule Fit Kit 2156
1- Thule RB47 47 Inch Rapid Load Bars

Total at the time came to $319.50

The basket was one of the Coleman Costco bargains. I think it was $40 delivered :) It was a Coleman badged Sportrack Roof Basket. Sportrack still sells them.

Hope that helps :)

stevenboise

Observer
Thanks!

You are welcome. Works great. I originally bought the rack for My wife's Malibu Maxx. Turns out it fit just right on the avalanche. The only parts that are Yakima are the fork mounts for the bicycles. The rack was purchased from rackattack.com
I purchased:
1- Thule 400xtr Rapid Aero Foot Pack
1- Thule 544 4-pack Lock Cores
1- Thule Fit Kit 2156
1- Thule RB47 47 Inch Rapid Load Bars

Total at the time came to $319.50

The basket was one of the Coleman Costco bargains. I think it was $40 delivered :) It was a Coleman badged Sportrack Roof Basket. Sportrack still sells them.

Hope that helps :)

Yes, that was great! Thanks for replying with such detail. I have everything bookmarked except for the fit kit.

It doesn't appear (from Rack Attacks's website) they sell that fit kit number any longer. Unless there's a typo. So, I will have to look around on eBay, etc for them. Or find a Thule dealer and just take a panel in till I find a match.

Either way, that's a big help and gets me in the write direction.

Thanks again!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...I have everything bookmarked except for the fit kit.

It doesn't appear (from Rack Attacks's website) they sell that fit kit number any longer...

Thanks again!
Thule Fit Kit 2156 , Looks like it is still available elsewhere. Everyone has it listed for $89.95
I just noticed that you are just across the border from me :) If you ever need anything drop me a PM. We are practically neighbors. I am in Ontario :)

stevenboise

Observer
Good to know

Thule Fit Kit 2156 , Looks like it is still available elsewhere. Everyone has it listed for $89.95
I just noticed that you are just across the border from me :) If you ever need anything drop me a PM. We are practically neighbors. I am in Ontario :)

Okay, I'll look around for it this weekend and see if I can put something together.

Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles