spare tire solutions

HotrodSmurf

Observer
I decided the spare has to come out from under my chevy, so I'm curious what you guys are doing with yours, specifically in pickups.

jpat30

Adventurer
Check out hitchgate.com; they have a cool series of replacement tailgates that mount a spare.
If I had a truck, I would be tempted to run one

HotrodSmurf

Observer
I worry that when I need it out in the dirt or snow I won't be able to get to it, it is the lowest bit, and will be more drastically so after a new bumper with a built in receiver up high or put on 285/75's. And I've already dragged/rested on it when I slipped into a wash out. Besides if your gonna have a full size spare might add well make it some bling!

Clutch

<---Pass
I worry that when I need it out in the dirt or snow I won't be able to get to it, it is the lowest bit, and will be more drastically so after a new bumper with a built in receiver up high or put on 285/75's. And I've already dragged/rested on it when I slipped into a wash out. Besides if your gonna have a full size spare might add well make it some bling!

Ahh..

Check this one out.

safari38.jpg

hoptroll

Pool Boy
My first car was an '86 el camino that had the spare in the cab behind one of the seats on the floor in this interesting little compartment. Could work if you have a rear area (access cab with suicide doors or 4 door) and you could build a platform to slide it under. Would prob be more feasible if you had a 4 door. Just my idea, I like to be stealth, minimize stuff hanging in view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

You recover the truck with a flat first, and then swap on the spare on level ground. LOLz. I'd leave the spare where it's at. When I do drag my spare, if it wasn't there I'd violently hook my hitch or bumper on that rock instead. You can add a cutting board to help it slide if needed.
-
But it might be wise to have ANOTHER spare on a rear tire carrier. If we need a 35" spare on a tire carrier, we still often have the stock spare under the bed.

98dango

Expedition Leader
In my trucks I honestly just put it in the bed and tie it down. I don't keep them under because on 2 different trucks the winch did not work and on my chevy I ripped the side wall once. After that I'm over it not convenient in the least but I know it has air and I can get it out.

My trucks see more rocks than some also with Montana being my home we have dirt and junk that messes up the winch crank.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
You recover the truck with a flat first, and then swap on the spare on level ground. LOLz. I'd leave the spare where it's at. When I do drag my spare, if it wasn't there I'd violently hook my hitch or bumper on that rock instead. You can add a cutting board to help it slide if needed.
-
But it might be wise to have ANOTHER spare on a rear tire carrier. If we need a 35" spare on a tire carrier, we still often have the stock spare under the bed.

x2 on a second spare. Did that in Baja after it was suggested by a seasoned traveler, an absolute necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles