A truck for our needs

98dango

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have been searching for the perfect setup for us. We are simple don't need a lot but in the last 3 years we have come up with a list of what would be nice.

We want to be able to stand up have 4wd and sleep inside. Also storage is very nice.

We decided a while back the an ambulance, box van or M1010 military truck is what would work for us. The work for many people so there prices reflect that. Well at the end of the day there all just a truck with a box I can build that.

So a few weeks ago a good friend told me he needed to get rid of blue berry his old truck sitting on property he just sold. My first response was I don't need any more rigs. I know it has problems and I don't need more broken trucks. So my friend Wyatt and I go to look at blue berry. Last time Wyatt saw the truck he was not old enough to drive.

Low and behold what do we find an 88 f250 7.3 5 speed. It's got a few problems and rust my first reaction was leave it for the new owners to deal with. We get back to town and run in to our friend I tell him it's worth 500 in parts if the 7.3 is not locked up. Well he says it's yours you got 2-3 weeks to get it if you part it out get me some cash if you keep it nothing.

So tonight Wyatt and I are talking about his flip top Bronco and he says you need to put a box on blue berry and make it your camper.
Light bulb you get a 7.3 and a stick I love sticks for heavy mountain rigs. It's basically free and you won't be sad if you cut in to it.

So the plan is to cut the cab in the middle of the extra cab section and build graft a camping box on from there. Yes we could get 80% of what we want with a utility box and a slide in camper. We like to build stuff.

This project will not be easy or go fast but I think in the end it will fill the bill.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Hear are a few ideas of what we plan to build

Not the truck be same body style
10158547_200910751058.jpg

And our inspiration
Stevo

attachment-4.jpeg

1 ton man fort (pirate4x4.com)
604633d1308771995-1-ton-man-fort-bla.jpg

Mega Ambo (U Joint)
600_MegAmbo1.1.jpeg

8-Lug

Attachments

• The donor.jpg
    The donor.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Base.jpg
    Base.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 864
  • 2009 Silver Dodge Sterling Uhaul Custom Camper Bullet XV - ext left frt.jpg
    2009 Silver Dodge Sterling Uhaul Custom Camper Bullet XV - ext left frt.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2009 Silver Dodge Sterling Uhaul Custom Camper Bullet XV - ext rht rear angle.jpg
    2009 Silver Dodge Sterling Uhaul Custom Camper Bullet XV - ext rht rear angle.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 49

Outback

Explorer
Looking forward to your build. Im on the same quest. I happen to have found a M1010 that needs work but they all do.

stevo-mt

98dango,

I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier! Roundup is just a couple hours down the road! 3M makes some super good rubber weatherstripping and sealers. I think that there should be something that would work with a custom camper job. My dad still drives his '89 7.3 NA 5 speed. He did put a larger single exhaust on it for not much and it woke that thing up!

MikeCG

Adventurer
For a minute I thought you were going to ask for suggestions on what to get. I was going to say get a 2 wheel drive hi-top conversion van. I have a 2001 Chevy that I use for camping. They would meet most of your needs. Converting to 4x4 is about $14K if you have it done for you. Maybe half that if you do it yourself. If I ever get around to building it I will add I frig and water tank to it. I will also probably add storage drawers under the rear fold down Seat/Bed. I have already upgraded the rear entertainment system to Bluray and LED TV and have 2 DC-to-AC power converters. I need to add a second battery system to it so I can increase the size of the power converters and back it more than an overnighter.

Your plans look really nice though, and sounds like you will likely have less invested then you would buying a van and converting it.

sarconcepts

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz