Trash hauling without an exterior tire carrier?

stioc

Expedition Leader
_DSC0667_zpscb58ff78.jpg

Last year in Death Valley...I call it the Trasharee :D Available for $7 at Walmart. I actually have a Trasharoo but still sitting on the shelf until (if) I build a real bumper tire-swing.

E.J.

Explorer
How does it hold? I was thinking about something similar off the back of my 4runner. Wasn't sure how it would rub the paint. With that much strap showing I thought it might swing and sway a bit to much and cause rubbing.
I'm going to test it out this weekend and report back. It's pretty easy to get the straps fairly tight, I could see problems with stuff shifting around in the bag though.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Every trip we go on always brings about a collection of grocery store bags that seem replicate in the cab. While on the trail we simply fill these up and stick them in the roof basket. Once we find a trash can we dump them appropriately. This way we never have a large collection of trash at one time. When we do, I have jerry rigged a military surplus duffel to act as our trasharoo. We simply stick some thick trash bags inside and dump them later. The last thing I would want is a lot of trash in the cab of my vehicle. You could always use a cooler, they seem to hold smells in pretty good and are cheap.

E.J.

Explorer
DSCN5667.JPG

Had it back there for 250 miles this weekend with around 50 miles of rough FS roads. I didn't have a huge load (maybe 20lbs) but it stayed in place just fine. I didn't detect any new marks/scratches in my 15 year old paint, YRMV.

mikelite80

Adventurer
Thanks E.J. I'll order one and experiment. How did the rear lift do with the weight? I know my current struts barely hold up the door.

E.J.

Explorer
Mine held ok with 20 pounds in the bag, I don't think it would hold to much more up. Good excuse to fit some HD door struts I suppose :smiley_drive:

SnowedIn

Observer
I typically use garbage bags in a 5 gallon bucket with a good lid on it. Comes in handy for a number of other things, although not exactly optimal for space usage. Never had a problem with it being in the vehicle.

A square-sided kitty litter bucket could serve the same purpose.

I may move to a short, flat rubbermaid bin up on the roof rack in the future, though.

vanroth

Observer
DSC_5402sm.jpg

I use a hitch carrier and just store everything in a doubled bagged yard bag held down with bungees. I usually don't need to pack much out, but I tend to be the volunteer to haul stuff out for our group.

While at camp it is hung from a tree away from camp.

I prefer this over a roo bag since a number of times we've filleted fish and I don't want fish guts in or near anything I want to keep :D

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just wrap the straps around the tailgate and close the hatch on them. That's scratch your paint, though. The other option is learn the highly technical art of double bagging and manipulating a twist-tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles