Trash hauling without an exterior tire carrier?

Dazrin

Adventurer
How do people without a rear tire carrier normally carry their trash? I am looking for something that keeps stinky stuff outside, but I don't have an easy location for it since I don't have the rear tire carrier.

I do have a (factory) roof rack, but that is it. I would prefer to keep things off there if possible, but if that is the only option I guess it would work.

Any suggestions?

inter

Observer
you can use bak rak (or bak pak) if you have a tow bar,
but its for highway and golf pole only
BAK-PAKONHDBESTHomePage.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
This should be worth watching. I've always thought the trasharoo was a clever idea but useless in the mountains where the idea is to keep ANYTHING with scent well away from your camp due to bears. Great in the desert I would think; or back east maybe. But not much good in the Sierras or other bear country.

Dazrin

Adventurer
What is the configuration of the rear of your vehicle? mjmcdowell
Mine is a stock FZJ80, so tailgate and lift hatch on the rear.

I have considered a rear hitch basket, but you give up a LOT of rear clearance. I am very much considering one that would be removed as soon as I got to camp. Take the wood in on it, take the trash back but don't use it at all in the middle. Would be just fine for when you have a single campsite that you are staying at for a week and isn't too hard to get to. The problem with that is for multi-leg journeys where you need the clearance in the mean time or where you need to crawl over some obstacles to get to in the first place.

ert01

Adventurer
This should be worth watching. I've always thought the trasharoo was a clever idea but useless in the mountains where the idea is to keep ANYTHING with scent well away from your camp due to bears. Great in the desert I would think; or back east maybe. But not much good in the Sierras or other bear country.

I don't have one myself but I always thought the idea was to be able to take it off the vehicle quickly and easily so that you can leave it away from your camp. Are they hard to take on/off?

JD914

Observer
This isn't an outside solution, but I throw a trash bag into one of my larger backpacks and strap that to the back of my passenger seat. Sort of a smaller, interior TrashaRoo. I'm on the same boat as you - no rear spare carrier.

fishEH

Explorer
Maybe you can talk to Trasharoo and have a custom one made with longer straps that would go around the cargo door itself. Buckles on the inside of the vehicle.

dms1

Explorer
I use a 55 Gallon contractors trash bag and tie it up good and store it inside my 4 Runner in a 5 gallon bucket. We try to bring very little items that result in trash also.

MattL

Adventurer
I use the trasharoo and just stick it up top on my rack when in transit (tied down). When at camp I'll hang it off the rack so we can throw trash away and at night (if in Sierra bear country) we walk the bag away from camp and hoist it into a tree.

I tried hanging it off the rear window but it's too much of a hassle.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Maybe you can talk to Trasharoo and have a custom one made with longer straps that would go around the cargo door itself. Buckles on the inside of the vehicle.

Hrm. Now you've got me wondering if a trasharoo will fit around my lower dutch door. The regular straps would certainly be long enough, it's just the clearance at top and bottom of door vs. body work and upper door that I need to sweat...

aluke0510

Adventurer
What is wrong with putting it on the roof rack? It's a great place. As also mentioned planning what you take to reduce trash is the best way.

Where do you spend most of your time? Is there usually good water supply; doesn't have to be drinking water. Rinse anything with wet food residue. Do you usually have a fire? Burn things like paper and tin cans (just remember to remove the tin cans to put in the trash in the morning). Burning them removes any stink that was in them.

If you can plan your contents correctly and how to handle them like rinsing or burning you can put everything back into the same storage compartment in the vehicle and have no stink...

ert01

Adventurer
If you can plan your contents correctly and how to handle them like rinsing or burning you can put everything back into the same storage compartment in the vehicle and have no stink...

How about diapers? They don't go back in the vehicle very well...

:)

Just being a pest. Haha.

But truly, there are some things that you can't burn, can't wash, and don't want to carry in the vehicle. I really like the idea of an ammo can. Makes a nice sealed container, and can easily be strung up in a tree when in bear country.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
What is wrong with putting it on the roof rack?

My roof rack is nearly 8' off the ground. Standing on my back bumper, I can basically reach the rear end of my rack to pull long lightweight items on and off, but managing anything floppy, heavy, etc. is a real pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles