Help me choose my first "expedition" vehicle

Theironpusher

I concur with those who say Cherokee I've owned many and they are tough as nails. I drove mine hard and I was usually in the 15-17 mpg range, I think with some simple efficienty mods and a slightly lighter foot you'll be pretty damn close to 20. As far as the inside goes they have plenty of room for all sports in my opinion. If you have not done so yet I would highly suggest getting a hitch mount bike rack like the Kuat NV that was reviewed on this site not long ago because if the bikes are going inside you will have no room in ANY of those vehicles.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Sell that olde gas hoggin chevy and conglomerate your funds to buy a second generation dodge with the 12 valve cummins in a crew cab! you will easily get 20mpg+(on highway), be able to tow anything within reason and have a fairly well built stock rig. Although personally I would look for a "holy grail" truck like mine. good luck, however! the only downside with mine besides the stock steering setup, suspension, and auto tranny is the Dana 70 rear end. The pinion gears tend to break down over time because the cummins has too much torque. I finally have play in mine, but that's after 180,000 miles. They did introduce the dana 80 in the 2500 autos this year as an option. All the 2500/3500 manuals have them, I believe.
But aside from those minor problems, it is a very dependable truck and has been great to me. It is also rated as the most reliable full sized diesel truck by diesel power magazine, for good reason!
Just my .02, but I'm biased :) Other than that, I'd say any third generation Toyota 4runner or Tacoma. I owned a 2000 4runner 5spd. and was amazed at it's strength and offroad ability right out the box. coilover suspension, 4.10 gears, E-locker, and the 3.4 V-6 had plenty of power even with 265/75/16 cooper STTs. Although the 1st to 2nd gear change is less than impressive!

Ultralite

Adventurer
Well, I read this because I'm looking for my first vehicle too but have different criteria. BUT:

Congrats on the weight loss. Congrats on the woman. And racing at VIR? You weren't at the "ChumpCar" series last weekend were you? 240Z, love those.

Good luck on finding that rig....

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Just throwing in my 2 cents. My recommendation would be either a Ford Bronco or F150 with an I6, 4.9L, 300 ci. engine in it. Its the only engine I can gurantee will give you the MGP's you want when empty and still be enough for towing what you need when you need to. Its not a racer obviously, but the engine is the closest thing to indestructible I've ever seen. That's nothing to sneeze at in a DD or a trail vehicle. You may be hard pressed to find one in a Bronco or full cab F-150, but if you're willing to do the work, you can drop one in.

I drove a 91' F-150 for years as the family farm truck and it never gave me any problems except for changing out the water pump once, and that only took me a few hours of work and cost around $20 in parts. I was regularly getting 20 mpg highway when I wasn't carrying or towing anything. Just the toolbox with emergency tools in the back. It was only 2 WD, but I only ever got stuck once, and that was because some ************ decided it would be funny to pour water around my rear tires with sub-freezing temps. If you have your sights on a 4WD, try searching for a bronco though. It seats 4 max, has 4WD, later models have plenty of comfort, and plenty of room to add more comforts, parts are cheap easy to source for the most part, and they're built like a tank.

Now my 91' bronco, which I drive now, with a 302 usually gets around 17 or 18 mpg highway, but on city streets is a bit of a guzzler at 10 mpg. But the push-button 4WD is nice in winter with ice patches everywhere. The only mod you might have to do is upgrade from auto-hubs to manual, but it rare to find autobubs that are still on any bronco these days. And as I mentioned before, the later and EB models have plenty of comforts, and I'm certain a mechanic like you can add more if you so desire. Heck, I installed a TV in mine a few months ago with a CD/VD player and it wasn't a problem to get it all wired up. Basically, the bronco was built for camping in mind so you shouldn't have any troubles taking a stock model up light camping trails.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The ford inline 6 is a lot of things, but a gas saver is NOT one of them. I had one in my 93 F150, it had lots of power, bulletproof but was far from great on gas.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The ford inline 6 is a lot of things, but a gas saver is NOT one of them. I had one in my 93 F150, it had lots of power, bulletproof but was far from great on gas.

I never claimed gas saver. Only that it got 20 MPG highway if driven properly and not loaded down. If the engine wasn't tuned properly, or if you're carrying a few hundred pounds of tools and gear all the time and drive like you're on the NASCAR circuit, then no, you won't be saving gas.

Did you have an automatic or 5 speed in your 93'?

Did I mention how easy it is to fix or upgrade Ford trucks? You can usually swap parts out between trucks of the same, or even similar generation. Especially in the drive train.

kojackJKU

5 speed. i loved that truck. it was a base model with ac only, 2wd, and 5 speed. got hit head on by a car driving way to fast for winter conditions (approx. 60mph when I was doing about 30 mph for the conditions). No more truck after that. It was destroyed. Ever hear that time slows down in situations that warrant it? It does, I watched the air bag deploy, stay up for what seemed like a min then deflate. It was a surreal experience.

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
grand Cherokee .. but I love my BURB., I also have a Hardon for a taco quad with a leer 100xq

Last edited:

kojackJKU

run for the border bud!.......oh wait, I thought you said quad hard taco's. mmmmmm taco bell. ha ha. Still think the FDII patriot gives a great balance of off road capability, fuel milage and comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz