Difference in older and newer Delorme GPS products

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am going with Delorme GPS units for my jeep. I am wondering the difference between a pn-30 and the new GPS unit and the lt-20 USB receiver and the new version available now? Thanks. These older models are reasonably priced and if they work great and still display all mapping options the new ones do, I will be OK using them.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

A

agavelvr

mostly little bells and whistles. The newer PN series allow direct import of .gpx files, which isn't really that much of a time saver since you have to go through the software anyhow.
Increase in processor speeds, which is nice if you use aerial images, though the PN30 was a big step up from the pn20 in this regard and totally usable in a vehicle. Screen features are more decorative. Nice thing about the PNs is you can use AA batteries. This is a big deal if you backpack and will be gone a while.

A IT-20 would have to be paired with a laptop or other device to display your location, so it's use is limited outside a vehicle.

I still use my pn-30 every once in a while. Iphone running motion x is my preferred solution unless I'm backpacking.

Depending on how you intend on using a GPS, older units are fine. The only limitation you will eventually run into is a lack of software support for their mapping application or the device's inability to eventually use their mapping software when it upgrades. This can be solved by keeping an older computer around.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
First off thanks. I plan on using the it20 connected to my windows 8pro tablet mounted on my dash running Delorme mapping software. And use the pn30 as a backup and on my ATV/adventure motorcycle. I also plan to get a Delorme in reach se to keep in touch. But if these GPS units can run the latest Delorme mapping I'm good. I have been using a garmin Dakota 10. I hate the fact that garmin charges such outrageous prices for their mapping and delorme includes it. And if you have to buy it, its reasonable.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles