Vehicle Guidance

ditchdoctor

Well first off since this is my first post, hello to everyone. I've been spending a lot of time educating myself on the world of overland and expedition travel. The site has been an awesome reference. As I dive further into this world, I realized that some of my other interests and hobbies don't excite me anymore like they once used to and I have sold off quite a few items to fund the cash purchase of an expo rig. I chose to post this in the LC section because I think I have narrowed my choices to an 80 or 100 series(although I'm always open to opinions) I live and work in Oregon. My career(firefighter/paramedic) allows me to take long stretches of vacation so extended travel is fairly easy. The rig is going to be set up for myself, my wife, and our 95 pound pit bull Samson. We plan on starting out doing trips in the US, but that could also lead to travel outside the country at some point, as we love to travel. I'm hoping that I can get some guidance regarding the vehicle choice. My budget is going to be about 18-20K total. I slightly favor the idea of purchasing a 93-97 FZJ80 which around here range drastically in price and condition from 3-10k on average, and spending the difference on modifying it to our specs (and fuel to feed her) The other option is 100 series, but the modification budget is greatly reduced if we go this route. So with that, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I appreciate any and all input. Cheers -Eddie

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Free bump. How much of the mods/repair do you do yourself? Do you plan to sleep inside the truck?

peneumbra

Explorer
First, see if your dept will loan you a 4x4 brush rig that you can modify into an offroad camp--

No, maybe not. They might get upset about that.

We just bought a '97 80-series that was fairly well built, with 150,000 miles, 4" lift, extended brake lines, reservoir shocks, new tires, powdercoated wheels, enhanced this and that, etc, for $10K. I need to add some stuff to get it to be where I want, but after looking at a bunch of these trucks for sale, this was the best one I found.

I prefer the solid axle 80s to the IFS 100s due to simplicity (mine or the truck's? Whatever...) And I like the big six cylinder with its particular sounds and torque pattern.

But the truth is, any of these LCs are probably overkill for almost any terrain. Just depends on your preferences...

ditchdoctor

Free bump. How much of the mods/repair do you do yourself? Do you plan to sleep inside the truck?

I would try to do most of the minor/simple mods and repairs myself, anything major would be farmed out to a specialty shop. Would probably sleep inside, but have also considered a RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ditchdoctor

First, see if your dept will loan you a 4x4 brush rig that you can modify into an offroad camp--

No, maybe not. They might get upset about that.

We just bought a '97 80-series that was fairly well built, with 150,000 miles, 4" lift, extended brake lines, reservoir shocks, new tires, powdercoated wheels, enhanced this and that, etc, for $10K. I need to add some stuff to get it to be where I want, but after looking at a bunch of these trucks for sale, this was the best one I found.

I prefer the solid axle 80s to the IFS 100s due to simplicity (mine or the truck's? Whatever...) And I like the big six cylinder with its particular sounds and torque pattern.

But the truth is, any of these LCs are probably overkill for almost any terrain. Just depends on your preferences...

Haha; yeah the FD might not like my taking a city vehicle for personal use. Sounds like you got a nice 80 for 10k. I've been looking for months locally for a decent 80 or 100 specimen with not much luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranchero

Wanderer
I would take a look at the Cummins-powered 80 in the for sale section. I'm showing an uncharacteristic amount of restraint at the moment.

sgiandubh

Observer
I just switched from a 2nd gen double cab Tacoma to a 100 series. Like you, we wanted something that we could take camping and on extended trips. I thought the Tacoma would be the perfect rig, but with the three of us (me, wife and 2 year old) it was tight with all of our gear. It took some looking but I was able to find a stock, dealer serviced '99 locally for $9,400. It has 169k on the clock but with the service history I am not worried about it. The wife already loves it way more than the Tacoma, and I must say that it is much more comfortable and spacious. I have not ridden in an 80, but the ride is impressively smooth - even over the Tacoma. I was looking at both 80s and 100s and it just so happened that the 100 fell into my lap. Having owned several solid axle trucks ranging from early 70's to 2006 in model year, I have come to appreciate the ride of the IFS. Also, IFS has never limited me on the trails that I do. Just based on my experience so far with the 100, the 2UZ V8 is smooth, quiet and adequately powerful. I'm not sure that I would be as happy with less power in a vehicle of similar weight. While I still find myself drawn to the ruggedness and capability of a solid front axle, realistically, the more modern 100 series was the perfect fit for us.

Good luck with the search!

Upland80

Adventurer
With regard to which vehicle...hands down a Land Cruiser is the only way to go in my opinion. You have a decent amount of money to play with and while I own a very clean low mileage and decently built 80, I think if I were you, I would choose a 100. I personally chose to buy a cruiser with a bit of personality, capability, and one that wouldn't break the bank.The truth is that the 100 series is much more powerful, economical, and comfortable. So, in short, if I had 20K to burn on an expo vehicle, it would be the newest, lowest mileage, best maintained 100 I could find.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think you really need to focus on what exactly you want the vehicle to do. If you think you need solid axles front and back, are planning on a 4" lift, or simply can't afford a 100, then get an 80. But the 100 in stock form is more capable than most people will ever need and has several advantages over an 80.

I say this as an 80 owner who has come to realize my slightly modified 80 is far more capable than I will ever need. An essentially stock 100 will be more than capable enough - for me. And with a family now, i may be moving to the 100 camp. But you may need all the capability of an 80 and if that is the case the choice is easy. But if you have the money and don't need all that capability, take the 100 and its extra power and creature comforts.

The_Dude

Adventurer
One vote for an 80. I love mine. Super reliable, modern enough but I can also work on it.
amupuny8.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I think you really need to focus on what exactly you want the vehicle to do. If you think you need solid axles front and back, are planning on a 4" lift, or simply can't afford a 100, then get an 80. But the 100 in stock form is more capable than most people will ever need and has several advantages over an 80.

X2 on this.

I have two "overland" vehicles. I have an 80 series LC that is modified for more difficult off road terrain and remote back country excursions where recovery would be very hard. I also have a more lightly modified first gen Toyota Tundra for more of the tame stuff, to carry my Four Wheel Camper, and general driving around town.

I do find that I find myself "looking" for trails that challenge my 80. That said, I am very confident that if there is a trail, I could probably get through it or if it is rock buggy extreme, I could find a way around it.

Stock vs. stock, I think the 80 and 100 series have about the same capabilities off road, with a slight nod to the 80 series for the solid axle and slightly smaller size. On road (and mild dirt roads), there is no comparison. The 100 series takes the prize.

Both the 80 and 100 can be built to handle more. The same $$ will get you more extreme in an 80, but the question is, do you need that?

Depending on your needs, I would add a Tundra/Tacoma or similar pick up to your list. I think it is much less costly to modify an open bed pick up for camping vs. building into an enclosed space like an 80 or 100 series. You also have more flexibility in the design.

I don't own a 100 series, but my Tundra has the same engine, and I absolutely love it. I bought my Tundra used with a mild mod package...Deaver rear leafs, SAW coil-overs in front, Firestone Ride-Rites, after-market headers and exhaust, brake controller, and a few other things that make it a bit more capable off road.

For me, I prefer the flexibility of an open bed so if I didn't have the 80, I would really build out the Tundra (winch, recovery gear, bed rack, etc.), with a few different build-outs that I would swap in depending on what I need. You can do so many different things with the truck bed, to get it exactly how you want it. I also like the V8 with the smaller size of the first gen. But it's still bigger than my 80, and if tight trails are in your future, I wouldn't go any bigger than an 80 series.

Good luck! Since everybody likes pics, here's a few that might give some ideas.

Hollister Hills

2004 Tundra

Tundra2

FWC Hawk on Tundra

nasko

Adventurer
I have never owned a Land Cruiser, do not even own a Toyota at the moment, but one thing that I would point out is MPG. Think about it. I do not think gas prices are going down in the foreseeable future. While I absolutely love both the 100 and 80 Land Cruisers I cannot see myself owning either one of them as their gas fuelled engines are absolute hogs. The 100 being slightly better. If I were you I would look at a 4runner, Montero, even an Xterra, but that is just my 2 cents. Your $ will go much further if you look away from the Land Cruiser's. Good luck with the search and whatever vehicle you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior