Vehicle Guidance

Klierslc

Explorer
Agree with the above. I have had 3 80s and love my current one. However, the on road advantages of the 100 (power, fuel economy, comfort, space) outweigh the off road advantages of the 80 (solid axle, better clearance). In addition, the 100 is a little easier to maintain and has newer components.

Good luck either way.

CYK

Adventurer
I have both. The ride quality and perceptible power between the 100 and the 80 is huge. If you can afford a 100, get it, if a 200 is affordable then get that, because it IS that much better.
If you are going to be doing really serious rock crawling, the 80 is better only because of the solid front axle that may keep both front tires in contact with the ground (depending on the situation). Also, you will be able to build a really nice 80 for what you would pay to enter the 100 (but it will never ride as well nor have the amenities of the 100).

:coffee:It's predictable that you will always have the guys who say their vehicle was that last model of the "real" (insert manufacturer name here). I've heard 60 guys will say that the 80 isn't a "real" cruiser, what a bunch of crap, even more, the 40 guys will say the 60 isn't a real LC. Don't pay attention to it, stay focused on what you are looking for in the vehicle.

The 100 is noticeably larger inside and has side airbags, so if you were planning on a family and having the rig for some time, the 100 may make better sense. My passengers prefer the 100 hands down - its more comfortable with the rear air-conditioning, the heated seats, better ride, lower noise level, more room, more comfortable seats and heated seats and all without the hot passenger side floor boards of the 80. As a driver, I prefer the 100 because of the better steering, handling, braking , cooling (engine and cabin), transmission and power. It's wider than the 80 if you were to remove the fender flares on the 80. I really love both my Cruisers but if I could only keep one, the 100 works best overall for my needs and wants.

[The fact is the Land Cruiser is a purpose built, well engineered vehicle, period. Overall, the 80 is better than the 60, the 100 is better than the 80 and 200 is even better than the 100, like it or not. Now, with all that said, I want a 40 next because they're damn cool.

You are a wise man. I'd follow you on Twitter if I had Twitter. Well put.

You get the same diabtribe/noise in 911 forums. Everything is the last of and as the owners get older, they value nostalgia over facts.

zimm

Expedition Leader
if you spent a day with all of them, you'd get the 100. in a stock rig, a solid axle doesnt buy you a thing. the 100 is built better all the way around. the ifs makes the dirt roads you'll see in canada mexico feel like pavement.

if you have to worry about a couple MPG, you cant afford the risk of a used landcruiser anynumber, and you need to plan a different hobby. when it comes to repair costs, frequent or not, 70,000 dollar cars always think they are 70,000 dollar cars no matter what YOU paid.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I have both. The ride quality and perceptible power between the 100 and the 80 is huge. If you can afford a 100, get it, if a 200 is affordable then get that, because it IS that much better.

the capability, load, and comfort gap between the 100 and 200 isnt that much. the drivetrain gap, well, thats another animal. myself, i go slow anyway. 400hp is twice what i need. mileage equal, i cant justify recommending an 08 over an 07, with the premium you'll pay.

unfortunately, theres a few thousand in ditching the 200 lower profile tires and rims, whereas 16's for a 100 are a dime a dozen. .... but then again, if you got the money....

fireball

Explorer
here's a quick cheat sheet:

80 = rock crawling.

100 = overlanding, exploration, going 95% of the places an 80 can, in added comfort,style and safety.

77cruiser77

Observer
Perhaps it's because I am Canadian and have had the luxury of driving diesel land cruisers but I would not go back to gas for a multitude of reasons. That being said I do have a soft spot for the old and dated design of the 2F.

Suggestions would be to wait a year and buy a HDJ81 from Canada such as this: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/4314770461.html If you can buy one now and store it until importation. I have a feeling HDJ81 prices are gonna soar next year like they did on BJ74's and even decent looking HJ61's

Or, get a HJ61 now: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/4329857388.html

As far as the cummins goes I'd be leery of that one as there is a strong pattern of people doing the swap and soon selling afterwards. Seems the rattles and noise is beyond most peoples comfort zones. A consideration for a vehicle that will be used to travel distances.

I once had a HJ61 (manual) and got 25-30mpg which is better than what the 1HZ in my HZJ77 returns. The 12HT in my opinion had the best construction with glow screen, direct injection, inline pump, timing gears instead of chain or belt. That being said the 1HZ is a much more refined engine that behaves much nicer. Parts are easier to get as well since it's an engine that's been in production for almost twenty five years and still going. There is a reason why people desire Toyota diesel over the dodge/chev/ford options. The 1HD-T, or better yet 1HD-FT would be the cream of the crop unless you were traveling where fuel quality is questionable in which case the 1HZ is best in that scenario.

Upland80

Adventurer
There seem to be a lot of votes for the 100 (including me based on the OP's situation), However, I must say that I would never trade my 80 for a 100...It's just too damn clean and fun to own! There are also many long time Cruiser guys that "upgrade" to the 100 only to find themselves selling it just to get back to an 80. If you're interested in a more classic look and feel then the 80 is the choice!

ditchdoctor

You guys are killing me! So many valid points; I think I'm more torn than ever, Haha. In all seriousness though, I really appreciate all the great comments and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
The truck above looks great, although I'd inquire as to why he's selling it. He just bought it not very long ago.

Vehicle ADD, probably. He had an 80 that didn't last too long in his possession, either. They both look good, but with such low mileage, I'd go for Krazytoy's.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
So with that, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I appreciate any and all input. Cheers -Eddie

Get a 100 series ,do a few trips in it ,then begin to modify it to suit your purpose. RTT are ok but they have their drawbacks just like sleeping inside or towing a camper trailer.A quality tent that is quick and easy to put up is just as good as a RTT in many ways.
Its good to have something you can leave at a campsite and return to at the end of the day.

Sempertoy

Explorer
One thing to keep in mind, is both vehicles are expensive to do aftermarket mods on. If you have spent any time looking at armor I'm sure you already know that.

As for my recommendation as an 80 owner, I would say get the 100 series. I was so hell bent on having a solid axle after I sold my tacoma that I didn't even look at hundies. I am glad I got an 80, but I built mine more for "crawling" than I did over landing. I've been on several trails that I would never take a 100 series down, especially seeing the carnage they delivered to the ifs rigs that were out there. If you end up with an 80 you will start to notice how big those wheel wells are and how easy it is to fit big tires in there. In a year I went from 315's to 35"s and now I'm at 37"s and if you are like me, it takes a lot of suspension and drivetrain work to run those size tires effectively. As long as your max plan is a 35" tire, go with the 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94