Motoz- Tasmania 01/14 Anticlockwise lap of the Apple Isle

motoz

Adventurer
G’day All,

Here’s a trip report of our recent trip to Tasmania. We had just over two weeks touring around the island state. The arrival and departure dates were set, though the itinerary was quite liquid. With a rough list of sites and some iconic tracks to tackle we set off in an anticlockwise loop.

We focused most of our attention on the more rugged west coast. As we were self sufficient travelers we opted for bush camps where ever possible. The majority of these were found via the Wikicamps app. This app is first rate while touring and led us to some real gems and well as very low cost campsites.

My main focus was travelling the road less used and admiring what this place has to offer.

Day 1- Drove from Devonport to Burnie. Visited the local flee markets and grabbed a few bargains. Continuing west to Stanley. This settlement dates back to 1825. We wanted to venture to the rocky outcrop ‘The Nut’ but the Roaring 40’s were living up to their name sake and the 100 odd kmp/h winds kept us at bay. Venturing on we stayed at Boat Harbour beach. A great spot. The cafe was open for breakfast and was really good, beautiful scenery.

Day 2- Boat Harbor to Arthur Pieman Conservation Park, there were a choice of three campsites available we stayed at Prickly Pine. Toilets available. Visiting the Edge of the world view it was still blowing a gale. As it was my 40th I was pretty keen to get setup and get on the giggle juice !!!

The hugs n kisses whipping me up a bday feast, Tassie Salmon with Asparagus, Spring Onion and Potato…

Day 3 - Arthur Pieman to Bursons Spurr (off bass highway turn on Salmon River Rd/Lerunner Rd/ Leesons)
This was one of those ‘I wonder where this track goes’ random track adventures. A few fallen trees slowed progress then a giant tree across the track halted proceedings. This became a beautiful bush camp in midst of the rainforest. Beating the previous nights hangover into submission we packed a pick nick and head off for a sunset walk. Im convinced I caught glimps of a Tasmanian Devil. We heard critters all through the night. Thank god for the RTT !!!

Day 4 - Burson Spur to Zeehan.
After a visit to the Takine Forrest walk we continued south. Drove along the Balfour Rd. A minor geographical misplacement meant we found ourselves on the wrong side of a section of roads that had disappeared own the valley due to a landslide. After conducting a ‘risk assesment ‘ and performing a ‘step back 5x5’ we ‘proceeded with caution’… :lol:

Made our way over a section of road that was damaged from the landslide. We had hoped to stay in Corrina, though this wasn’t to be as it was booked out. After crossed the river via the punt $20 !!! we proceeded to Zeehan. We hauled up at the Treasure Island caravan park. $26 for a powered site saw the use of the washing machine, and recharged all our electric gadgets.

The collapsed section…

To be continued…

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer

This is what we found 500m up the track. With no previous warnings or notifications :evil:

Some quick brainstorming saw the camel pass through the eye of a needle with zero damage to plant or property. Go team go !!!

While in Zeehan we visited the mining museum. This town boomed from 1893 till 1908 when it became a virtual ghost town overnight. The local Tin mine has seen a resurgence in the town.

Day 5 - Zeehan to Strahan via Montezuma falls. Head toward Rosebery then took the 4WD access track on the right. This track followed the old railway line that was used in the mining days. You can still see the old sleepers in the track. Its all single lane and was quite wet.

The pace was slow going and we spent nearly 5hrs travelling to the falls and on to Strahan. A couple recoverys didn’t help either… :lol:

Another track excursion found some gems and some goop !!!

That night we stayed at the Strahan golf course. Cheap beer at $3.50 a pint. Stay is $10 great place with toilets attached to club. Great locals.

to be continued...

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
Day 6 - Strahan to Macquarie heads.
We signed up to go on the world heritage Gordon River cruise. This proved to be a fantastic day. The boat took us up the Gordon River and gave a great incite into the early days. A stop over to Sarah Island, the site of the first convict settlement and on up the river. We were told stories of the early Huon Pine loggers and the hardships they faced. We’ve definitely got it easy these days compared to the times of old.

We camped at the Macquarie Heads campground, $6 for the site and a beer or two with the toothless caretaker. He was so pissed he fell out of his chair, it was 4pm after all !!!

Day 7- Macquarie Heads to Lake King William through Queenstown.
Although this was a big days drive the scenery was truly amazing. From the sandy beaches, to the rainforest, pine plantation and the post apocalyptic landscape of Queenstown this day had everything. I was totally amazed on how much the landscape changed in the 100 odd kms.

Queenstown makes no excuses about its mining heritage. The extraction of gold, silver and copper along with early day mining practices saw acid rain defoliate the area. Its a juxtapose in the surrounding lush green environment.

We made our way towards the Derwent Bridge and to our next camp…

… Lake King William. We took a quite overgrown track down to the lakes edge. The bush pin striping was well worth what we found beyond. This would be our home for the next two nights. Beautiful scenery, big bumble bees, refreshing crystal clear water and very friendly mossies… :lol:

A few too many Boags saw me the self elected mayor of struggle town… I had not only trouble finding me bed but ascending the ladder…

to be continued...

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer

Day 9 - Lake Kingwilliam to Cockle Creek via Derwent Bridge

At Derwent Bridge we visited “The Wall” it’s a series of wall panels depicting the history of the west coast of Tasmania. It’s is constructed from reclaimed Huon pine. Incredable craftsmanship. The Triton developed issues. A broken speed sensor on the transmission meant we were stuck in limp mode. The trans wouldn’t change past 3rd gear and it was a long 200 odd kms to Hobart for repair. After parting with $260 for a new sensor we stocked up with fresh produce and head south to Cockle Ck. Being school holidays it was very busy. We missed the gate to the campground to the south. This is locked at 4:30pm daily. We ended up camped on a hill near the road. An abundance of Oysters on the rocks were there for the picking so dinner was an easy affair… yummy!!

Day 10 - Cockle Creek to Hobart.

We traveled via the Hastings Caves and Tahune Airwalk. The formations in the cave were amazing and the 8 deg was a pleasant change from the muggie conditions outside…

Admission to the caves also lets you take a dip in the outdoor geothermic heated pool. Quite relaxing.

The Tahune Airwalk is a suspended walkway through the forest canopy. Some 30m high. The views are fantastic and you get a totally different appreciation of the surrounding area…

A night out with friends and a big night on the sauce in Hobart town followed !!!

Day 11 - Hobart to Friendly beach.
We traveled via Wine Glass Bay and Coles Bay. Although beautiful the holiday crowds were a little too much so we camped at Friendly Beach instead. Very good site though we got one of the last spots in the cul-de-sac. The site was well setup with toilets. The beach itself was fantastic with white sands and smooth rocks.

Day 12- Friendly Beaches to Binalong Bay, via St. Helens.

Binalong Bay is a great camp. Free and clean. It did pain me at the amount of rubbish and debris people leave behind. Glass in fires, bottle tops everywhere :evil:
We went to go see the penguins come ashore though missed the little buggers. Alas a feed of local black mussels harvested off the rocks at the beach hit the spot. The wild life was a little too comfortable and I had a bit of an issue keeping him out the back of the car while we prepared dinner !!!

The final installment to follow…

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
Day 13- Binalong Bay to broken down on a dirt road...

After a slow start we were off. First stop was the Pyegana cheese factory Holy Cow Café. Nothing quite like a cheese tasting for breakfast !!! followed by a pot pie and three cheese pizza.

We proceeded to St Columbia Falls these are about 100m tall and flow 200k liters in winter per min. :shock:

At the top of the Columbia Falls car park there’s a track that continues straight. Its marked no through road though this is the start of Pyengana Jeep track. This is quite technical, boggy, rocky and rutted. The winch was used on several occasions!!!used

It was one of the more challenging tracks Id driven in a while and I was lovin it !!!

Then disaster, a renegade stick decides it really needed to be inside the engine bay and there was no way that a radiator was going to stop it…

Death… that was the end of that day. We stayed the night then made contact with the CFA the next morning. A tow truck arrived and we got to Derby so I could repair the damage.

The repair was brutal yet did the job and got us back on the road. Got to love Loctite products !!!

Day 14 - Dirt road to Devonport, via Derby, picked up by Jonathon at 9am repaired the radiator then hit the road. Stopped in at Beaconsfield. The gold mining town where two men were trapped underground. Arrived at Devonport at 8.30pm.

Departed at 5am on the ferry to Melbourne !!!

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Nice trip report, really enjoyed it, lived there for five years and was nice to see some of the spots we used to frequent,

Huon pine.....nicest smelling wood!

motoz

Adventurer
Thanks mate.

Were itching to get back and see all the bits we missed. Agreed on the Huon pine. We bought a cheese board from the mill as a reminder of the trip.

:D

tacr2man

Adventurer
The best part of Australia , and all so close together , especially after the trip across the nullabor and back, there are so many beautiful campsites , that you can experience all on your own . The Nut was pretty windy when we were there, seems to be that way most of the time! Thanks for the great pics , that bring back a lot of great memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles