Kill switch

doug720

Expedition Leader
Put a switch in the the starter relay wire ran through a relay if it's a high amp.

Mount the switch in an out of the way location or in with a few of the same type with a label that says lights or?

Do the same for the fuel cut off on a diesel.

86tuning

Adventurer
Be careful when you disable an engine, it makes for fun diagnose when it quits on you in the middle of nowhere. And could make for a dangerous situation if it cuts out when driving.

Starter disable usually has the smallest potential for added grief with the biggest anti-theft benefit. Once the truck is started and running there is no danger of a starter disable causing engine stalling, which could definitely cause a poopy pants moment.

You can have a stereo/alarm shop add remote door locking and starter disable via an alarm for a modest price.

Also key fob starter disable setups are easily installed and very unobtrusive to use. Just plug the key in and the sensor by the ignition tumbler detects the special key fob and start the car as you normally would. No pre-flight checklist for valet or service techs or whatever.

D

Deleted member 12023

I'll could tell you what I did, but then I'd have to kill you. No but in all seriousness , I used my cigarette lighter as my switch, and spliced it into the neutral safety switch. Push it in to start, pull it out to fool the fools. Works good!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
In the early days many cars had a floor-mounted starter switch you activated with your left foot. My '29 Ford is an example.

A floor switch, located high and to the left (like the old dimmer switches on US cars), and possibly under a floor mat, could deter or at least delay a would-be thief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne