Belafonte Reboot....Ambulance to 4x4 Camper Conversion

FDM2012

Adventurer
Come on down, Tom. You'll love it, except for when you don't. Which is July-Sept.
But, if you are doing your summer road trips, then you can miss a month or so of it.

I think you previously mentioned that you are moving to the Clearwater area?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Clearwater area is her preference. She kind of fell in love with it because I think it reminds her of home. Her home in Japan had an ocean view from one end, and a view of Kobe city from the other.

Last summer we beat-feet out of Ohio right after the kids got out of school, say first week-ish of June, and didn't come back till the tail end of August. Kids had about a week before going back to school. That's my idea of summer break. :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Tom, since we were talking about Fat Bikes, check out this one...

Antarctica-spec fatbike puts the power to both wheels

http://newatlas.com/christini-awd-fatbike/46096/

It's just a 'tiny' bit out of my price range, but the concept is certainly interesting!

You and me both brother. There isn't a bike on the planet I'd spend that kind of cash on, not even half, but then I think most of the "adventure" type trailers on this site are priced so high their builders must be in crack. But people buy don't they?

Beside all that, I think the last thing I'd want to be doing in Antarctica is pedaling my fat ******** around, sweating, and then turning into a meat popsicle. I'd rather buy a Rokon or something. :)

patoz

Expedition Leader
I hear ya!

I kind of like the electric version of the Fat Bike that you have, but at $1,500.00 even that is pretty much out of range. I would have to use it 5 out of 7 days a week to even justify it.

It would be so cool to cruise around the campground on one though!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I hear ya!

I kind of like the electric version of the Fat Bike that you have, but at $1,500.00 even that is pretty much out of range. I would have to use it 5 out of 7 days a week to even justify it.

It would be so cool to cruise around the campground on one though!

I'm kicking around the idea of a couple of rad powerbike folding minis for the wife and I. I'm looking to unload my 5th wheel camper and pick p a diesel pusher instead, and considering I'll need to cart her minivan around they probably make a bit more sense then trying to figure out how to fit our golf cart into all that. We like going to the Disney campground and that sucker can wear you out if you're pedaling the thing all over the place every day. The golf cart is the cats posterior for that, but again it might be a bit problematic with the pusher and pulling a van. The minis fold up into almost nothing and would fit in the basement somewhere.

[video]https://youtu.be/2XLFEvYwaB8[/video]

https://youtu.be/2XLFEvYwaB8

rlrenz

Explorer
Back in the "old" days - way back when Popular Science actually published articles on how to build something, you could find articles on how to build a small trail motorcycle with a 3-5 HP engine and some sprockets. For campground travel, why not think about something like those old designs? A whale of a lot cheaper than an electric bicycle/scooter, and you'd probably use about a gallon of gas in a camping season.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I'm confoozed, Tom. Once you are only living 90 minutes away from Disney, why will you
need to camp there? ********

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Back in the "old" days - way back when Popular Science actually published articles on how to build something, you could find articles on how to build a small trail motorcycle with a 3-5 HP engine and some sprockets. For campground travel, why not think about something like those old designs? A whale of a lot cheaper than an electric bicycle/scooter, and you'd probably use about a gallon of gas in a camping season.

I get what you're saying but at most campgrounds any motorcycle/mini-bike/moped type stuff, basically anything with an engine, are unwelcome. And I can't say I disagree with that, because there's always that One Guy. Ran into that at Disney a couple years ago. Golf carts are supposed to be, well, pretty much that, but this guy showed up with one with about 2' of lift, off road tires dang near the size of the ones on my truck, and a set of performance mufflers that made it obnoxiously loud. BRAAAAAAAAP BRAP BRAP! everywhere he went. You could hear the stupid thing no matter where he was. Captain of the S.S. ************ Canoe.

But in the spirit of what you suggested, I spotted a couple of local guys in town last week that had taken what appeared to be what passed for Townies 30 yrs ago, put these amazingly large diameter skinny tires on them, along with engines that looked like they came out of a weed-whacker or something. I mean loud as snot, but they were in the city anyway, and they were just stupidly cool looking. I hope I see them around again before winter sets in for the long haul because I'd really like to have a closer look.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Btw, do basements exist anywhere in Florida? Having a hard time imagining a life without a basement under the house.

FDM2012

Adventurer
My job takes me into peoples houses and I have been all over the bay area. I have seen a few
split levels, but no basements to speak of.

rlrenz

Explorer
Basements are a luxury we here in the north land take for granted. When a foundation has to extend 40-48" below the surface of the ground to avoid frost heaving, it's not a lot more digging to go down to 8 ft and have a basement -- it also helps if ground level is more than 8 ft above sea level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior