Belafonte Reboot....Ambulance to 4x4 Camper Conversion

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, that's it. That's why I'm trying to find out if Tom's is the same way. He has the same Ambo I do.

flightcancled

Explorer
Same pansy leaf pack under mine too. Needs the bags to run level.

Compared to the literal bricks I have seen for a lift that's a nifty little trick. Are they tacked together? I would have at least done that.

Snow I had and snow I've got! Too much to make it all the way back for Thanksgiving so I'm going to redo my floor or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Same pansy leaf pack under mine too. Needs the bags to run level.

Compared to the literal bricks I have seen for a lift that's a nifty little trick. Are they tacked together? I would have at least done that.

Snow I had and snow I've got! Too much to make it all the way back for Thanksgiving so I'm going to redo my floor or something.

I don't remember if they are tacked together or not, I'll have to check. I didn't realize it, but there is a block on top of the spring pack also, probably to take up slack in the u-bolts. I'm wondering if the air bags were added later (sagging springs?), and the blocks were added to make enough height to install the bags.

HPIM1154.JPG

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I checked today and I don't have any of that. No bags and no spacers. There is no particular reason those are a bad idea in and of themselves, as long as it's done right. To me right means those spacers are drilled and bolted to the rest of the pack just like any other leaf. That bolt serves more purpose than just keeping the pack together. It protrudes down into a hole in the spring pad on the axle and keeps the axle located properly.

Looking at it Pat I think you may be right that they used those to gain height so they could get the bags in there. You going to keep those or ditch them when you replace the axle? If ditched...dibs! :)

Pulled the ambo into my big garage today and got it up on some jack stands, and learned something in the process. I need a bigger floorjack. Getting the rear up in the air had it totally maxed out height wise, and that was with about 8" of wood block on top, and it was still just barely high enough to get one of these H1 combos under there. I'll have to figure out a way to get it about another 8" up so once I install the 6" springs I can actually get the tire on.

Lesson #2. This thing is going to be ridonkulously tall. It's tall enough at it's current height, and that's just enough to get the tires on. Another 6" is going to be stupid.

Lesson #3. All the axle, tire, spacer calculating paid off. The tires sit in the wheel well exactly where I wanted them, which is pretty much the way the stock tires fit in there. Just inside.

Tomorrow I'm going to start working on yanking the tranny. Original plan was to rebuild the core I bought and then just swap them out. Turns out the core is from a '96 and apparently uses a different solenoid pack from the '92, and there is some question whether a '92 pack will bolt into the '96 case sooo, to eliminate any issues I'm just going to yank mine and he can rebuild that and just add the 4x4 adapter and output shaft from the core.

No pictures because I didn't see anything worth shooting, and I forgot my camera in the house. :)

patoz

Expedition Leader
Tom,

Those spacers on mine look like sections cut from much heaver springs, so I'm hoping they cut the center sections with the holes and used longer bolts.

Sorry, I'm keeping the bags unless for some unknown reason they won't work with the new axle, but I don't know what that would be. The new axle is a larger diameter (3.5" vs. 4.0" ??) so the mounting plate may need to be ground out a little, or something like that. Not only will they allow me to adjust the height and load carrying capacity, they have independent air lines and valves, so I can use them to help level it when camping.

BTW, did you get the rear factory step bumper with the vehicle? It looked to be in pretty good in Carl's pictures, and mine is banged up somewhat. If you're not going to use it I might be interested in buying it, but it would probably cost a fortune to ship it.

Now, I don't want to hear about how you got your's all lifted and the new tires and rims on it, and then discovered you can't get it out of the garage because it's too tall for the door! :rolleyes:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Sorry, no bumper in the deal. I'd have probably scrapped it by now anyway. Didn't like the design.

I did a Jeep CJ once and spent many hours with a tape measure before I tore into it. I figured I'd have enough clearance to get out of my garage. Day of reckoning arrived and I cleared with just about 1" to spare. Luckily my detached has an 11' door so I should be good to go.

cjken

Explorer
Yea. My floor jack is inadequate for mine as well
Glad your tires fit where you want them!!
Someone I spoke with that saw Megabmo in real life said it was huge! With 8" if lift. 6" will probably be huge too but a bit more reasonable.
Can't wait to see it Rollin in 37's

flightcancled

Explorer
Do you have the same leaf pack? Maybe they just added a leaf, gave you smaller tires, or made the wheel well taller.

Pat I can give you the fancy bits off mine when I tear it off. Can't wait!

My first lift job I overshot the garage door and had to round up a few guys to sit on my tailgate in order to get it back out.

Please keep us update with the tranny progress. I've got a 92 too so I am curious if it will work.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Finally getting something done on the ambo. I've been slowly picking away at the rear while waiting on my front axle to get some cleanup work done at my shop. I'm "supposed" to be pulling the tranny and taking it to my tranny guy because as it turns out there is some question as to whether the '96 tranny core I bought will work, but....I'm being an impatient stubborn doo-doo head because I REALLY want to see some tires on this thing!

5B3345AE-A415-4740-A59B-F577A609DC49_zpsqzkyqnfh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A couple things here for anyone else headed down this road. My ambo is a 1992 with a D70 rear axle. I ordered 2" spacers hoping to get my tires set in the wheel well where I wanted them and it looks like they'll be pretty much right where I wanted BUT, something you cant really see from the picture is the wheel studs stick through the spacers by about 3/16"-1/4". So my wheels won't mount. Two obvious choices: go get new shorter studs pressed in, or chop the existing studs by 1/4" or so. Guess which? :) For anyone else, do your homework better than I. I never bothered to measure just how far the studs stuck out before I ordered the spacers. I could have got them 2 1/4" and it wouldn't have affected wheel placement in any significant way. Not a big deal to cut them all, but it's just one more thing to deal with and time better spent on something else. Oh, and go buy some wheel nuts. The factory ones won't fit down inside the spacer holes, and you can't re-use them on the spacer studs either. Different thread it seems.

Buy new bushings for the rear shackles. You have to pull it all apart anyway, they likely have 100K+ on them, and there's a good chance you might have to ruin one or both getting the bolts out. On one of mine the bolt was seized up tight inside and I had to take a torch to it and burn out the rubber. If I had pre-ordered the silly things I wouldn't be waiting on them now.

9B812089-A6A7-4EF8-93E7-E1EC89FB1346_zpsqjvt9vnm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These things are farqin heavy. Hernia producing heavy. Especially in the awkward position you have to try to deal with them. Now is a good time to call in a buddy favor or two to get a hand putting these things on top the axle. I'm stubborn, I'm impatient, I didn't, and now I have the sore everything to remind me of my stubborn impatience. Get some help.

A4F66ABD-CAA3-4DFD-83D8-6CBCC087F213_zpsdfsgguof.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There's one of these in the rear storage compartment, both drivers side and passenger side. I couldn't figure out what they were for because on the outside of the compartment there didn't appear to be any corresponding hole. Silly boy. There actually is a hole, but on the outside of the compartment they covered it with some kind of gooey tapey stuff. Couldn't tell it was there because it was camouflaged with road grime. Pulled off these covers, punched a hole through the tape, and what do you know, access to remove the rear shackle bolts.

Drivers side front spring bolt didn't get the same love. No way to get that out, cleanly. My impatient solution was to take a hammer to the bottom of the compartment edge and create some clearance. What I'll end up doing is cutting a small section out of the bottom corner and then plate over it just like they did in the rear compartments.

As long as my bushings come in tomorrow, and I can find the wheel nuts I need, I should have the rear end rolling.

flightcancled

Explorer
Wow I can't believe they actually thought through access to those bolts! We all have to cut ours out.

Awesome info please keep it coming!

patoz

Expedition Leader
I just want to know where you got that shiny new drive shaft!! :)

When I get mine back, I'll have to check it to see if it has those access panels. They might be hard to see on mine because all of the compartments are lined with maroon AstroTurf. We found out in the Fire Department many years ago, that any kind of carpet in the compartments is a bad idea because it traps and holds moisture causing rust and/or corrosion. Solid rubber mats are just as bad because moisture will condense under them.

The best thing is to use something like Dri-Dek Tiles to keep stuff in the compartment off of the bottom, allow air to circulate, and moisture to evaporate.

flexi-deck-blue.jpg

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Didn't get squat done today. Did I miss something? When did your garden variety run-of-the-mill open ended conical lug nut, the kind found on winter beaters nation wide, become such freakin unobtanium? I went to a couple different chain type auto stores and all they had were the closed end chrome plated foo-foo types the bling crowd likes. I went to two different tire shops, one that does anything from a Prius up to tractor/trailer combos, and they looked at me like I'd just asked for a 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor for a 1985 Delorean. Last stop was an old style auto parts store and even they had to look it up in a book. I even told him 9/16" x 18 and they still had to look it up in a book. They had 4. I need at least 16 of those and 16 14mm x 1.50. Unfortunately for my frustrated dumb ******** I forgot to ask for the 14mm x 1.50s so I'm guessing when I go back tomorrow to get the 9/16x18s I'll have to order those and wait ANOTHER day.

Obligatory photo.....

IMG_6086.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rlrenz

Explorer
No one seems to stock anything these days - I just plan on having to order whatever I want.

And that's why I always check with Amazon - their warehouse has to be about the size of 1 or 2 counties, and they ship so fast that they have to be using motorcycles in the warehouse for the parts runners.

Another good source is McMaster-Carr Company (www.mcmaster.com)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior