Insurance help needed??

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Some of you may have seen I am in the process of buying an International 4300 to convert to a camper/travel rig. I am having issues getting it insured with my carrier- Nationwide. They contend it is in need of a commercial policy which I am happy to do, but they say they cannot get it underwrited. Anyway, the truck is in Az, and I need to get it home to NC, where I will begin modifications/build. However, I would like to be able to drive it during the process- any help/input/thoughts greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I've never had any trouble insuring my trucks through Allstate, commercial policies, BTW. I actually insure my truck separate from my camper, which gives me lots of flexibility on how I use my truck. Stated value policies on my camper and trailer.

HowardH

Adventurer
As an FYI, "stated value" means you agree with your insurer before hand on the value of what it is your are insuring. Then in the event of a total loss your policy pays out the "stated" value. Particularly useful when you have high-end, custom, or one off type items that are difficult to value.

zelatore

Explorer
And as a further FYI, 'stated value' often means the value still depreciates. Let's say you have a 'stated value' of $20,000 agreed upon by the insurer and yourself. But 5 years from now you total it. You've been paying the higher premiums and now expect to get your 'stated value' of $20K, but they say 'well, that was 5 years ago....we think it's now depreciated to $12K'.

I've heard lots of issues with 'stated value' not actually paying out when the time came.

Just read it carefully and discuss in detail with your agent. Then assume he's either lying or just ignorant and that the insurance company will still try to screw you if you ever actually have a claim. Because, as they say, insurance companies are the worst kind of scum, but you can't live without 'em.

evilfij

Explorer
You want "agreed" value not stated value.

Check your policy as at least in my state I am covered on anything for 30 days. Maybe not applicable to commercial vehicles.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
I found myself in this exact situation building the Bullet.
I was able to insure the Sterling Bullet as a commercial vehicle during construction, allowing me to drive it as I wished, insuring it with AON private risk management (a division of Progressive insurance) then, once a completed RV, your options open up quite a bit, I insured it through Amica Mutual.
Good luck
Steve

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback- I am familiar with the 'agreed' value and 'stated' value, but all I really need initially is liability- willing to risk the truck if need be, but this becomes an issue even getting it home. Luckily the seller has an issue or two and needs a couple weeks obtaining title as he bought from Fed Govt.

I have used the 30 day window Ron numerous times- and the best part there is the new vehicle is covered at the highest rate of any other vehicle you have insured! Not sure about the commercial side however- nationwide is checking around to broker it, but their incentive is very low obviously…

I have a couple leads from some of the local farms as they all have big rigs/equipment- worst case I can title it in one of the family farm policies, add me as an insured driver, and get it converted- ultimately getting it back in my name and insured as a motor home. Talk about going around your elbow…

Any more thoughts greatly appreciated!!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I've insured my Fuso with both Progressive and Allstate (at different times) as a Motorhome with zero problems. I checked on a commercial police with Progressive when I first bought the Fuso (so not 'converted' to a RV) and that policy was $950 per year, were the Motorhome policy was less then $125 per year (both liability only). I asked about the first 30 days deal with my insurances companies (Progressive, Farmers, & Allstate) and my 'auto' policies would not cover a 'commercial vehicle', no way, no how. I think the 'farm' route would work best for you given the cost in general of commercial insurance, or the inability of getting commercial coverage. Depending on your state your insurance will probably also be a lot less for 'farm' then commercial.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Yea, I am holding the farm route as my back stop if I cannot do it otherwise. Frustrating part is 40+ years with Nationwide and not a single claim, but no consideration or attempt to step out of the box... Very tempted to find commercial coverage, and move everything!
Thanks- for your thoughts, and listening ;-)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I was pretty much in the same boat when I bought my Fuso a few years back and drove it home from Colorado to Oregon.
Progressive did not require 'proof' of it being an RV so I was able to obtain RV insurance via them prior to flying out to Colorado.
Oregon will issue a 30 day RV permit which is mainly for the people that just use their RV once a year, that way they don't have to pay a full 2 years at a time. I bought one of these (cheap) to drive it home on. I also had a 30 Colorado permit from the seller. So 'RV permit' and RV insurance and a happy drive home. Perhaps that would work for you.
A couple suggestions if you go that route. But three (Left, Right, Rear) decals/stickers off eBay that say 'PRIVATE COACH - NOT FOR HIRE' and put those on and do not haul any commercial goods on the way home. I had no problem driving past weight stations or at the California agriculture station at their border.
States vary as to their RV requirements. In Oregon all you need is a "permanent bed and cooking facility". So for me (mine has/had a 14' box on back) was a futon bed screwed to the floor and a counter with a sink and propane stove. California requires 4 of the 6 "permanently-installed independent life support systems which meet the criteria of the American National Standard Institute (ANSI)". I'm guessing NC would fall closer to Oregon then California's requirements.
Personally I feel the intent drives your trip home. You bought it as an RV so you are not trying to get over on the system, just working with what the 'powers to be' (insurance and state) will require.
BTW- the only stickler I've seen with insuring 'non-normal' RVs is everyone I've dealt with has a disclaimer that it can not be a converted city or school bus.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Mog

Good news today, Nationwide did find a source, $550/yr for commercial liability, with the option to change to RV once converted, and no time stipulation for the transformation. Now, hopefully the inspection for the PO goes well, and a title is forthcoming!! The PO acquired it from Fed Govt... Form 97 I believe, so one more hurdle, then a build thread begins ;-)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As many vehicles as you have pass through maybe it is time to get dealer tags and just run on those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles