Super Simple Trailer Build - RTT on M416

tjtoytech

I picked up an M416 from a friend within a few weeks of UPO 2013. I didn't have much time to get it ready for the trip, so I wanted a quick and simple solution to get the tent mounted on it and functional with the least amount of work.

967068_397952393657466_143855929_o.jpg

I upgraded to the larger tent to fit the family of 4 (wife and 2 little girls). Laying out the tent on top of the trailer, I decided it would be a perfect fit.

IMG_3648.JPG

A simple framework to hold the tent would be plenty, despite most concerns of the tent riding too high during travel. I did not want to deal with engineering a system to raise the tent before setting it up. So I decided on a perfect height and rolled with it. Trial and Error is always an option, I try not to overthink things.

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

As a quick storage solution, I found a couple of toolboxes that fit my needs. They worked out quite well, with very little work to install.

IMG_3669.JPG

All said and done it worked out pretty well. Road manners were great, and I didn't notice any wind problems.

IMG_3775.JPG

In the rear I decided to do some framework to allow a couple a bullydog jacks to level it during set-up and make sure we don't roll over each other while sleeping.

IMG_3772.JPG

I was quite happy with everything for the amount of labor I had into it. I doubt I will change much anytime soon, other than refining some systems for water, lighting, etc..... I can't leave much alone, so there will certainly be mods to come.

1095087_429479790504726_923423677_n.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks great. Is there plans to widen the fenders too?
That would keep much slop off the sides of the trailer.

tjtoytech

Looks great. Is there plans to widen the fenders too?
That would keep much slop off the sides of the trailer.

It's a great thought!

The axle isn't original, so it's a bit wider than necessary. I happened to have some Toyota wheels laying around with tires mounted already and made them work for now. My initial thoughts were to narrow the axle slightly, and/or consider less offset on the wheels.

I have a few options to chew on now!

TJDIV

Adventurer
Didn't you have about 2 days to put that together?

During UPO2013 our friend Dusko from Chicago used the tent / trailer set up. I was impressed at how sturdy it was pulled off and set up.

14476_428341710618534_1382244785_n.jpg

Tents are Mombasa.

tarditi

Explorer
Nice job. Does the frame rack at all? I was thinking some triangular gussets would stiffen it up considerably.

Looks like you kept the eye - do you have a receiver-mounted pintle? Some states don't allow for eye & pintle hitch.

tjtoytech

The tent is made by Mombasa. Ive been using a variation of this tent for about 5 years. Love it!

Towing it has been great. The lunette rattles a bit up and down on slow rough roads. I have a few ideas in the works to combat that. A few wraps of gorilla tape always helps for a couple days of travel.

As long as the trailer is loaded properly with tongue weight (which is critical with such a short trailer anyways), there is no noticeable wind drag on the tent itself.

The rack is built light, but extremely rigid. There is virtually no deflection from corner to corner. More gussets were an initial thought, but proved to be unnecessary.

Overall i wouldn't change anything for the amount of time and money i have into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles