tire chains

98dango

Expedition Leader
So who else has them and uses them.

I have a full set to fit each truck and use them plenty. Living in Montana and being year round campers we get to chain up often more to save on the truck than any thing else. There also required on many passes for me to go home to Oregon.

IMAG3538.jpg

65 scout

For you guys using chains, ever any concerns with breaking one and doing body damage? Also as s general rule is there a recommended speed limitation when using chains? I've never ran a set and was thinking about doing so.

Thanks

Box Rocket

damage can happen if a chain breaks. There's not a lot you can do to predict or prevent a broken link. Just inspect your chains for damage and cracks. If you have decent tire clearance a broken link (usually will happen and the sections that cross the tread area) is not long enough to hit the body of the truck so damage can be minimal. I get more concerned about brake lines etc getting damaged from a lose section flailing around in the wheel well. The nice thing about a broken section is that you know about it quickly. It will make a lot of noise as it hits stuff going around. You'll stop quickly I'm sure so damage should be kept to a minimum. I have only had one broken link since I've had my chains. I just ziptied the loose section to the intact part of the chains to keep it from swinging free and kept driving.

java

Expedition Leader
There is a set in my truck year round. They work great in the mud also.

I have a bunch of the rubber bungees i keep also, keeping the chains very tight helps a lot with being able to do a little more speed and makes it nicer for long distance too.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Damage can any time I pull out of the shop I know the truck can be damaged. Watch your chains like every other thing on your truck there a wear item.

Bogie

Observer
Full set of V-link in the pickup for deep snow doubt I'll ever need them with the Jeep DD. But have needed them plus the lockers to get to my deer lease thanks to NY lake effect snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax718

Explorer
I just carry one set. Nothing you can do about a break, but usually a break is if you catch something (big log, twig, stump, rock, etc) or if it wore out from too much on road use.

65 scout

Thanks! I never thought about the potential damage to brake lines and such. Maybe I'll get a set on clearance when winters over. Keep them handy just in case. Years ago I saw a set of "chain flails" they made for emergency vehicles only like ambulances and fire trucks. As I recall they had 3 or 4 short lengths of chain mounted on a rotating spindle that would swing out of the way or to the inside edge of the rear tires allowing the chains to get pulled under the tire for traction when needed and they swing back out when not. It was a pretty cool set up for street going vehicles. Not sure how well it worked but I do see them now and again on the occasional ambulance/fire truck. The set up was like this in function but more heavy duty as I recall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u33mxK21ajc

Thanks

Bogie

Observer
Both the Fire Engines & Ambulances at my Volunteer station have On-Spot chain systems they work well enough, it only positions the chain under the inner tire so the system works better if already moving.

sargeek

Adventurer
Nice to have when you need them, their is no substitute. You can often drive much slower, and in more control when the vehicle is chained up. The vehicle tracks much better with out under steer. Chains also allow the vehicle to do more work in the snow like pull trailers or other vehicles. The also excel in true ice conditions.

"On Spot Chains" or automatic chains are OK to assist in occasional snows on roads, but they are ineffective in deep snow or if the vehicle is no longer moving.

gwittman

Adventurer
I have chains and have never needed to install them since I bought them around 1980. The only use I get out of them is to say I have them at the point where 2WD vehicle are required to have them on while going up the mountains.

I only have chains for one axle and have always wondered which axle is best to mount the chains. I know front wheel drive vehicles do better than rear wheel drive vehicles in slippery conditions. So, I have always thought putting chains on the front axle would work the best but I don't know it would be best. Anyone have any advice on this other than buying a pair so I can put them on both axles.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I run 4 wheel chains but when I only had 1 set I put them on the front steer and stop is important. On the plow truck I run rear only with all the weight up front I have not needed them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz