Basic CB Questions-Are you like me and stuck in the past?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Why not just suggest to those who are having trouble communicating that they get a better antenna and/or CB unit?
I don't know how spread out your group gets, but two good CB units with decent antennas should easily cover 5-10 miles average distance, with 20 or more miles frequently possible. Seems this would be easier than juggling radios while trying to get people to study for licenses...
Those numbers might be applicable in open terrain, but you don't get that kind of distance in the north woods. But it is true that some folks have pretty substandard setups.

But yeah, mounting the antenna up high and in the clear is crucial to range (and the longer the better... Performance really starts to suffer with antennas shorter than 4½ feet or so.
That simply doesn't work when crashing through thick brush in the woods, your antenna would be toast. I have a 3' Firestik II on my spare tire mount on back of the Trooper, it's suboptimal for antenna size and placement, but it is about the only place I have found that doesn't get blasted often by tree branches. My ham antenna is on the bulbar, again suboptimal but fairly safe from branches.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
To make it simple think of a 1 to 1 match as transmitting out 5 watts at the antenna. Let us say 10 miles, line of site
To make it simple think of a 1 to 2 match as transmitting out 2.5 watts at the antenna Let us say 5 miles, line of site
To make it simple think of a 1 to 3 match as transmitting out 1.25 watts at the antenna Let us say 2.5 miles, line of site
It is worth noting that there is not a linear relationship between transmission power and distance. The general rule of thumb is it will take four times the power to double the transmission distance.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Those numbers might be applicable in open terrain, but you don't get that kind of distance in the north woods. But it is true that some folks have pretty substandard setups.

That simply doesn't work when crashing through thick brush in the woods, your antenna would be toast. I have a 3' Firestik II on my spare tire mount on back of the Trooper, it's suboptimal for antenna size and placement, but it is about the only place I have found that doesn't get blasted often by tree branches. My ham antenna is on the bulbar, again suboptimal but fairly safe from branches.

That is wrong on both counts.

I talk over 5 miles all the time even here in the big city (well, except for occasions when static from a leaky power line blocks out my (or the party I'm talking to's) receive, something you don't have to worry about away from streets & civilization). The 20-mile figure certainly would be for open terrain though. Trying to communicate over a ridge is where you could have trouble less than 5 miles (and this would be no different on VHF either, infact it may even be worse due to VHF's shorter wavelength).

As I mentioned, I have a 5.5' Francis fiberglass antenna. It's centered atop my BII's roof (already 6½' tall). When branches hit it (and they do, lol), it deflects backward and then springs upright again. Buddy of mine has a 8' whip on the side-quarter of his Jeep... Again, it just deflects out of the way without damage. Key here is to use an antenna spring on it. Springs range from about $10-20 depending on how big (strong) of one you get (the strongest ones are for full-length whips like my buddy has on the Jeep). I've had this antenna for over a decade now and it (and the antenna mount) has never been damaged by trees/bushes.

If you want an eye-opener, get rid of the 3' stump and put something 5' or longer with a spring on it (you can even leave it mounted on your tire carrier if you want, provided the SWR is decent). You won't realize how much a short antenna suppresses your radio's performance until you have something decent on there (equal improvements will come as others in your group swap out their substandard setups too).

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I was wondering about dual antennas. I just installed a CB in my 91' FSB and went with dual Firestiks from radio shack. (One of the few that actually sells radio equipment!) I have them mounted on some slightly modified gutter mounts. I'm currently getting an SWR meter reading of 1.4, but I think I can improve that with some better insulating between the mounts and the antenna. Unless someone else has a better idea? I've also considered going with bolt on side ball mounts with springs, but I'm very hesitant about drilling into the skin. I guess I could go with springs with the mounts I have right now, but my antennas are already too tall to clear some city obstacles as is, like drive through. I cringe every time I hit something with them. (Nominal clearance is at 9 ft. around here, and my setup tops out at 9' 2".)

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went with CB because there are still lots of farmers and companies back home that still use them. Mostly in their own trucks and tractors and many of them are family that I could be called in to help on occasion or call for help if needed. Not to mention convoys and hunting/camping adventures. Sure, I carry a smart phone, but there are some places still that don't get reception.

For as little as we use it, CB works fine. Now if you need a dedicated communications system, something more elaborate would work. But they still have their drawbacks. We have dedication 2M radios for airfield communications and even on a relatively flat airfield, we still have deadzones that can't be reached. Yes, they are clearer, but IMO, that's about the only improvement worth noting. Its like comparing a simple flip phone to a smart phone. Sure, you can do more with a smart phone, but if all you want to do is make a call, the flip phone does just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online