Amtrak Odyssey

Arclight

SAR guy
This is a short trip I made last year. Some friends were going out to a regional caving festival near Ash Fork, AZ. Everyone was leaving Wednesday night, but I had to work until Friday. The solution? Put my bike on the Amtrak in Los Angeles, train it out to Williams Junction, and then ride the 35 or so miles.

Unfortunately, the Amtrak doesn't accept bikes or checked baggage going to Williams Junction. The station is little more than a slab of concrete in the middle of the forest, so anything you take has to fit in the overhead carry-on bin. They were quite clear about that.

The solution? Bring a folding bike, break it down, and pallet wrap the pieces. That, along with what I could fit in a backpack (and the needed tools) were going to have to do.

Here's what you get to work with:

P9270495.JPG

Amtrak's "no expenses spared" station in Williams:
P9280497.JPG

On arrival at about 0400 (there is a van that takes you into Williams):
P9280498.JPG
P9280499_1.JPG

Ready to go:
P9280500.JPG

I made a couple of test laps around town to make sure everything was tight and then headed down I-40. The Circle-K was open at this hour, which was really nice, as I had forgotten to bring gloves with me. I also got a chance to warm up a bit before hitting the highway.

The first observation was that I should have brought a more powerful headlamp. While the shoulder is wide and drivers were very courteous, I kept running over bits of truck tire and other dark objects in the road.
P9280501.JPG

Dawn was a welcome relief to this and let me pick up the pace.
P9280505.JPG

The exit from I-40 is paved for a bit and then turns into a sandy dirt road. The semi-fat commuter bike tires handled this pretty well.
P9280507.JPG

P9280514.JPG

And...made it!

P9280518.jpg

It's always fun to show somewhere on a bike that is normally never accessed except by vehicle.

Arclight

Funrover

Expedition Leader
That is so awesome, I really am thinking of doing a bike/Amtrak run. Did you have any issues with bringing a bike on the train?

Arclight

SAR guy
That is so awesome, I really am thinking of doing a bike/Amtrak run. Did you have any issues with bringing a bike on the train?

It's best to go down to the station in person and ask. Amtrak just isn't an outfit that you can reliably call up and chat with.

What they will let you bring varies by station and the equipment on the train. The Pacific Surfliner, for instance, has bike racks but now requires you to (in theory) make a reservation to get one. Most of the major stations will take bikes as cargo. In my case, they said the Southwest Chief does not have bike racks or any carry-on bins other than the airline-style ones above the seats, and the station I was going to (Willams Junction) does not unload cargo. This is why I had to completely break down the bike.

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior