03 Dodge Build... Towrig turned expo

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
After a little vacation from fabricating and some life changes I decided it was time to get back to my passion for the outdoors. I decided to sell my company, most of the fabrication tools, and go back to school to finish my masters degree. I joined the world of the employed working for a manufacturing company that specializes in additive/rapid prototyping.

My daily drive went from 10 min. to 2 hours covering 35 miles. Ahh the joys of the 91/55 freeway. However, this slow crawl of death allows the mind to wander and day dream. I pictured what my perfect Defender / Cruiser/ JK would look like. All the while sitting in the perfect platform rattling underneath me. My 03 Dodge Cummins short bed Quad cab 4x4 served as the shop tow rig/ hauler/ chase truck/ weekend get-away rig. I have always owned and built "rock crawler/ buggies" I had a short stint owning a 4 Runner but quickly realized IFS was not for me. Yes, I became a champion and changing CV's on the trail but I became "that guy". With limited fab tools I decided ( and a lot of inspiration from this sub-forum) that my Dodge was in fact the perfect rig for my change of pace.

No longer did I need to figure out how to pack a weekend worth of gear into a Jeep or small SUV. Extra gear? sure bring it...Int fact bring extras in case the other gear fails. Besides I get better MPG in a 3/4 ton truck then I ever did in a Jeep or Yota and that includes towing the thing.

So first a couple of pics of past rigs:

My Father now has this one for exploring and hunting

Sold this to a fine Young Marine

My Pride and Joy that was stolen 2 days after finishing her 82 Jeep Scrambler

Shortly recovered in a block wall

Race Buggy Samurai ( sold to a buddy, still have a bunch of parts )

There is a ton more and full build threads so now onto the new( old)

The Dodge is basically stock other then some 33s, custom rack, BigFoot RTT, Sportsman Cap, 42 Led light bar.

The BigFoot roof top tent has been swapped for a pop-top style or hard shell RTT from Bigfoot. He is a local guy and has been awesome at delivering customer service. I can appreciate the small guy trying to make it happen!!! I will get some better pics of the rack and new RTT.

Up next is my bed box:

I will post the CAD drawings of my bed box. Dual drawer made of 14 guage, and about 5.5 long and 10'' high. This will be the base for my truck bed kitchen, power, and water.

crismateski

American Adventurist
interested to see the bed box. I have a temp build on one while I try and decide what I want to build

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Despite the rain I was able to wire up half the led lights. At least the under hood and dash/switches/relays. All that is left is from the lights back to the relays under the hood. I will snap some pictures tomorrow of the new Bigfoot Hard Shell RTT and my wiring. I have to say wiring a full size uses a ton of wire.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Added Some usb power plugs (from the local boat shop)

located an okay spot for the switches..may add small indicator lights

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
making a wiring harness long enough to run under the truck was not the most fun task of the build.... Used a drill to wind all the strands, and miles of heat shrink to make it nice and weather proof.

This helped the shrink to slide on a little better

uscg2008

Explorer
What brand lights are you running? I have 6 blitzpro lights that will be going on my rack soon and I would love to do a 40 up front like that to.

Getting all the supply's ready
b3a31277fffa0db711a5b2513806ecd7_zps1816b05b.jpg

cc40cb34c2fa09500585dd4b4760e7d3_zpscff1802b.jpg

Already have my switches mounted
5417cad264c77229add6cc5eff935268_zps415ed4ef.jpg

02468ddcf79508fe45c3be0327dab189_zps11e4a184.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
USCG My buddy is working on building up the brand.. They are made in the same factory as a few big name labels. I am impressed with the quality of these. I see your stash looks like we booth spent some coin at the boat store.

uscg2008

Explorer
Ya wasnt too bad it was sales tax free day in town and they gave me discounts since I bought two full spools of wire. But ya still a little bit ahhaha

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Build direction change..... picked up a Skamper 60s Pop up camper

SO the RTT , the rack, and my truck cap will be posted in the for sale section shortly. Pics of the new mansion to follow!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94