Just spitballing but...

BCHauler

Adventurer
Stumbled across a cl ad for an old 70's 11.5' fiberglass-roofed camper and got to thinking: if you took a camper like the one in this ad http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/rvs/4281333724.html
and basically gutted it so it was just an open space, how much do you think it would weigh? No appliances (except the furnace), no cupboards or counters, no water tanks, just the cab-over bed and maybe carpeting. I'm even thinking, gut the bathroom space, just leave it as a closet with a port-a-potty. Basically as light and as simple as possible. My only nods to convenience would be the furnace and a battery for the interior lights. Could you have a simple, warm dry space that didn't weigh 3000lbs, but could still fit the family for sleeping (foam mattresses and sleeping bags)? I'm intrigued by the idea but don't like all of the "stuff" that comes with typical slide-in campering (I should know, I own one). Besides, it's always a challenge to accommodate a family of 5 (we stick the older boys in a tent, which is a drag when it rains).

You know, less is more. And the less you have inside, the more time you'll spend outside, which is kind of the point. Anyway, what do you think something like that would weigh?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Less is not more in your typical older wood framed camper.

The cabinets themselves are required for strength. A big box of sticks wrapped in aluminum and paneling that is stuck together with little more than staples is very flimsy.

That said, knowing how they are built, Id have to say an empty shell like that would be in the 600-800 lb range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior