Does anyone have experience installing a winch on a G?

JumpJ

Adventurer
I have a G500 that is almost Expo Ready. Minus Tires and wheels. The entire question of installing the winch looks baffling. Has anyone done this on a G or know of a good thread.
Thanks

Scott Brady

Founder
I like the factory tow pin bumper with a multi-mount.

I bought the entire package from Viking Off-Road
812737_10151697132113275_243552104_o.jpg

DiscoDino

Observer
Here you go nuclear monkey :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 36
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 35
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 31

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Disappointed in WARN

I have a WARN winch on my Kimberley Karavan that is used to raise the top. Recently at less than a year of use, while raising the top, it blew out the casting that holds all the gears and guts. See the attached photos.

WARN refuses to warranty it, saying that it was not being used correctly. I'm just using it to do what Kimberley installed it to do. I realize that this is not a heavy duty recovery winch, but it is a WARN! I'm disappointed in the brand!

BustedWinch1sm.jpgBustedWinchsm.jpgBustedWinch2sm.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
Dutch,

Jeez! How much does that top weigh? Is it made of concrete?

Serious failure from within the gear housing. Too bad they aren't taking care of you. Maybe they should stop selling to Kimberly, knowing how they are being used.

You'd think the line would snap or the motor would burn out before that would happen.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Dutch,

Jeez! How much does that top weigh? Is it made of concrete?

Serious failure from within the gear housing. Too bad they aren't taking care of you. Maybe they should stop selling to Kimberly, knowing how they are being used.

You'd think the line would snap or the motor would burn out before that would happen.

The top supposedly weighs about 700-800 lbs. The winch has a capacity of 1500 lbs.

Agreed on the line snapping or the motor burning out, but neither have happened; and the motor has a overload breaker on it which hasn't tripped either.

My gear housing blowout is the first out of about 200 in operation on the Kimberleys, so go figure.

Gizmo

My front bumper was badly rusted and I wanted a winch, installed old Warn8000lbs into the bumper I made for it. Quite happy with the results.

221630_10150166191763891_4250703_n.jpg

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Nicely done! I like it! I'm thinking about making one myself and Yours look very good, tough but at the same time quite discreet:)

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Does anyone have caparisons on approach angles as compared to stock? A long time ago I had a Discovery with a warn that was Land Rover's idea of how to install a winch on a front bumper. It stuck so far out and low that it was the first thing to hit all the time. Was like having a snow plow on the front of the truck. It was later swapped for a Safarigard which, among other things, moved the winch considerably higher and closer to the grill. From the pictures, it looks as tho DiscoDino's bumper is about as high as you could cheat it, placing the winch with what appears to be the same spot as the Tow Pin that Scott posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles