LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

Eniam17

Adventurer
Jwestpro, I took your advice and went with the 265/65 instead of the 285/60 and it's worked out great; glad I listened to you. I find myself looking at G Wagon's a lot lately :)

Erik@Lucky8

I recently applied some new 285/65-18 General Grabber AT2's on mine. They have performed nothing short of awesome during this Buffalo winter.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I had those in Rochester on the xtrerra and LR3 and was also impressed. Then I moved up to Duratracs and even more impressed for an AT tire...here is a pic showing spent grabbers next to new duratracs:
IMAG0226.jpg

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I had those in Rochester on the xtrerra and LR3 and was also impressed. Then I moved up to Duratracs and even more impressed for an AT tire...here is a pic showing spent grabbers next to new duratracs:
IMAG0226.jpg

What size did you end up with? Is there much of a difference between load range D and E (with the same weight rating)? Just curious if I end up with lucky8's 17" wheels with Duratrac's or MTR's

spikemd

Explorer
It sounds like many people aren't running E rated tires. I was only looking at E rated tires for the LR3 due to weight especially when loaded for the trails. I had sidewall issues with 3 Revo2s until I went to E rated KM2s and my range rover weighs less. This LR3 weighs close to 6k lbs!

spikemd

Explorer
I am also thinking about Lucky8 s 17 inch rims but they just don't do justice to the looks of the LR3. I am more about function over form but I don't like those rims.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Shown in the pic:
255/60R18 (30") General AT2 and 275/65R18 (32.1") Duratracs

In my experience, the Duratracks need much higher PSI for Normal highway: Front 47/ Rear 51, Offroad: 23/25, Sand: 15/18

A.J.M

Explorer
I really like the duratracs, they have been superb for my needs and really suit the car.

Wear rate can be hit or miss, I know one D3 driver who has wear rate of 5,000 miles a mm. My wear rate seems to be 2-2,500 miles a mm. Which is kinda annoying as I'll need to bin mine this summer but he will get a few years from his.

spikemd

Explorer
I really like the duratracs, they have been superb for my needs and really suit the car.

Wear rate can be hit or miss, I know one D3 driver who has wear rate of 5,000 miles a mm. My wear rate seems to be 2-2,500 miles a mm. What is kinda annoying as I'll need to bin mine this summer but he will get a few years from his.

That's what I have heard. Wear rates are variable with some people only getting 25k miles or so. They are definitely more aggressive than other ATs and I am sure are better on the trail. I am going to wear down the MTRs and then switch to ATs. The MTRs that came on the truck were run backwards so they are cupped and have a vibration at 40 to 50mph. Thankfully it goes away at higher speeds. They are surprisingly quiet on the highway but I think is due to the superior sound insulation of the vehicle. With the windows down, they are noticeable.

A.J.M

Explorer
I will be one of those getting 25k from a set. Not what i expected from what is about $1600 of tyres..
However, they have been so good, i'll be buying another set and hoping those last longer. Thankfully the price has come down since i bought mine.

Funnily enough, a mate with 18 inch GG AT tyres only got 25k from his first set, but he's on 38k and counting with the 2nd set and they still have decent tread life left in them.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Ordered a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's - 265-60 R18 - today to go on my 10 spoke wheels. Now if spring would ever arrive.....

morrisdl

Adventurer
Im at 27K miles and duratracs on the LR3 still look good. Maybe 25% remaining tread. Shorter life could be alignment related -- I always get a alignment with $1600 worth new tires.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne