LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Before:

After:

Stock height, no lift yet (rod or electronic)

Details. Most should be self explanatory, ask if you think I can answer a question for you:

Very low air pressure, required a bit of "foot leverage" to get it started under the tow receiver. I carry a compressor, so as long as the spare doesn't come off the bead I'll be good.

Also, I removed the plastic exhaust trim. The exhaust pipes still look plenty far away for heat to be a non-issue.

Again, stock normal (middle) height.

So far it seems good. Very slight rub in the rear on full/close to full compression (drainage ditch). Also a rub in the front at tight steering angles when in reverse. I'm sure there will be more, and I know I need to do some trimming before serious off-roading, but so far not bad for a 2" bigger tire.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Truck looks great. Out of tire curiosity what doesn't anyone seem to look at 255/70r18? Their are 32.1" tire and with them coming on jk sahara's there are a lot of them brand new on Craigslist for half price.

Nate

Jwestpro

Explorer
Truck looks great. Out of tire curiosity what doesn't anyone seem to look at 255/70r18? Their are 32.1" tire and with them coming on jk sahara's there are a lot of them brand new on Craigslist for half price.

Nate

Because most people want a more durable E load range or LT tire and I'm not aware of any/many that come in the 255/70x18 size. They are usually around 112 to 113 which is above the factory load rating of 111 but not nearly what an E will provide.

You are correct on the size being good though. It would provide all the height but with fewer issues while turning. It would still rub the rear fender liner pretty bad though into the parts underneath.

I think if someone were to go through the trouble with the mods needed for good fit of a 32", they will also probably have added enough other heavy things to be in the market for an E or LT tire.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Yes, true. I chose the Goodyear over the Goodrich because of snow/mud reviews (both here and net wide). I was also specifically looking for a tire that was made here in the USA.

jerdog53

Explorer
Goodyear Duratracks

275/65R18

DSC04301_zpsc0fe902d.jpg

rcharrette

Adventurer
Tire pressure sensor

For those who have made the switch from 19" down to 18" non-LR rims (or other sizes) what did you so about the pressure sensor system? I almost put 18" wheels on last year when I cut a tire but held off for a few reasons, one being I was told the TPS light would be on all the time.

Mack73

Adventurer

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The TPMS light can be set to not come on via the ecu. My 19" winter wheels and tires have TPMS. My 18" summer tires do not. I just had it reprogrammed, no lights on the dash for TPMS. The TPMS are very sensitive as well and prone to damage and corrosion so if you've running in the mud, you are likely better off without them. I've seen a couple where as soon as the tire pressure gauge was put on the sensor, they just crumbled.

Jwestpro

Explorer
My 32s required only very minimal trimming (275/65/18 Duratrac, '07 LR3 HSE). To be honest, I think I could have run them with no trimming and lived with the minor rubbing but it was annoying. Had I gone with the more common 265 instead of the 275s, it would have been even easier to leave everything alone.

This is a misleading statement and simply untrue for how most people would use the vehicle IF they are fitting anything other than the stock tires. While during normal street driving there may be "minor rubbing", any compression of the rear wheels up into the arch will cause dramatic rubbing and damage to the fender liner and parts beneath it. Even using the "access" mode would rub significantly. The modification for this tight area would not be considered "minimal" by most people unless they have their own shop and experience with such things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz