Gas storage recommendations

rc51kid

Adventurer
Not sure really where to post this. Since i have a FJ80 i guess i will post it up here. I will be working out in Yellowstone for the summer. I know gas will be very expensive in the park and we know about MPG of these Land Cruisers. I had the thought of filling the tank when i leave the park for groceries runs and then also filling a few gas cans. What would be the easiest/best way to do this? Any reasonably priced gas cans and pumps that i could use? I dont feel like i need any true "expedition" quality cans. Maybe even just a few "regular" 5 gal cans and a good electric pump? Also i dont have any rear bumper with can carrier so this might not but worth the trouble. I figure i would do my shopping and they on my way home i would top everything off, maybe just keep the cans in the back of the truck for the ride home. Is this a OK idea? Any suggestions about specific cans and pumps to use or avoid?

southpier

Expedition Leader
I was in the bike shop the other day and overheard this conversation:

father: "I just need a cheap helmet; it's only for my son."

sales associate:

tarditi

Explorer
The easiest is to get something like a blitz 5-gal container with filler nozzle and pour it into the fuel filler neck.
If you really want a transfer pump that is fine too, but it doesn't need to be fancy.

There are great containers, expedition-quality, etc. but it sounds like you just need something a bit above "ran out of gas on the side of the road" fancy.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Buy a 30 gallon steel fuel barrel and a hand pump for transfer. The barrels are readily available, cheap, strong and secure.

We use them here in SoCal for our bikes race fuel. The barrels cost $30, are rated for storage and transportation of gasoline, and weigh about 230 pounds full. One person can load it by leaning the top onto the tailgate, lifting the bottom, then slide.

The pumps are plastic and cost $20-30, have a 6' hose and work well.

If you have a place to store a barrel, it is the best way IMHO. One can and a near full tank in one shot for less costs than 2-3 five gallon cans. Plus, if you have a 5 gallon can also, you can always keep toppoing off the barrel when you go to town.

Just an idea.

Sign me envious of a summer in Yellowstone! I spent a couple summers there many years ago...Great times!

Doug

zelatore

Explorer
I'd love to have a barrel to store fuel in. But I can only imagine the legal/environmental nightmare that would cause if anybody found out or if it ever leaked!! As for transporting it, even if it's a DOT rated fuel container I'm pretty sure it's not legal (or particularly safe) to transport it in the passenger compartment.

I admit I've done both of these things during my younger years...dad had a nice elevated fuel tank out behind his barn at the farm and when I would come home from school on the weekends I would sometimes fill 5 gallon jerry cans and put them in the trunk of my car. I survived. But it was still a stupid thing to do!
<edit>
just for kicks, try asking your home owner's insurance if they have a problem with you storing 30 gallons of gas in your garage/shop/etc.

86tuning

Adventurer
On an 80-series the proper method is to install an aux fuel tank. These systems were available from the factory for Australian spec vehicles, and can be adopted to US spec. But they're not cheap, saving money isn't a good reason to install one. Increasing your range between fill ups should be the primary reason.

That said, getting some NATO or usmc sceptre fuel tanks would be an acceptable interim solution.

Saving $1-2 per 5-gallon jerrycan is a lot of hassle though....

Edit: autocorrect fail

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
Storing and transporting 30 gallons of fuel, no matter what, is still 30 gallons of fuel! Parking your car in a garage with a full tank is likely 30 gallons...

A steel fuel drum is as safe as you can get - properly labeled, proper color, sealed, and designed for that use.

It is legal to store fuel for personal use on your property, as long as it is in a proper container. According to my carrier, State Farm, this will not void your insurance, at least in a owner occupied SFR. The location should be an out building, shed or garage, well away from a flame source.

I have a second fuel tank on my 60, so I have around 800 mile range, plus it's diesel. I don't like cans exposed on vehicles. I so haul multiple cans for our bikes in our trailer and van, but they are strapped down.

Gas, or any other flammable fuel must be respected, period!

Timothynaustin

Observer
Spare fuel and water on my 60 series

Just a thought I wish to share , I used steel bars inside my rear doors and high tensile bolts washers and spacers to do this to my rear doors.

Hope it sparks some thoughts for u all. :)

I have travelled over 5,000 klm`s like this and not a problem as I used locktite on all bolts and doubled up the nuts with nylocks on last.

cheers

Ps I also used seat belt spacers from the pillars of an old car for spacers to space the gerry can holders out from the door skin so i can wash behind the cans and holders.

Attachments

• Rear doors.JPG
    Rear doors.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Buy some good cans and do this:
attachment.php

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I don't know if they are still making them, but that was from Hanna Quality. There is a long thread about them on 'Mud.

kbahus

Adventurer
4X4 Labs can provide similar jerry can holders to the Hannah shown above which are no longer available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles