My Junk

Kowboy

Adventurer
On my way to the Blue Hawk Tavern in south Vegas to buy a phenomenal chicken fried steak and eggs breakfast, drove past a huge Campin' World store and seen an EarthRoamer sittin' on the lot.

I had certainly considered buyin' one rather than buildin' up a rig of my own but was scared off by the size ... and price.

After stuffin' my belly for all it's worth, done swung into the Campin' World to check 'er out. First one I'd seen in person and this particular one was friggin' HUGE. Crewcab F-550.

Way too big for my tastes. Interior was certainly as nice as I imagined but not nearly as efficiently layed out as my Hallmark in my opinion. Did have a nice inside shower and tons of storage. But hell ... half my cabinets are empty so don't need more storage. Reckon the other big dif'rence is I can go a week in the boonies ... EarthRoamer can go a month. But I only get off work for a week at a time so I'm good with that. EarthRoamer has a cab pass thru tho that I can see would be really nice in the pourin' rain. I'm gonna get wet unlatchin' my top and gettin' in the camper.

If'n ya like the big 'un ... give 'em a call, $250k will put 'er in your driveway. It's an '08 with 14k miles.

I'll sell mine for half that. :sombrero:

Massive overall height dif'rence when I'm in the mobile mode. Hate to be that tall on the trail ... or even the highway.

20140218_A_bow top down.jpg

Interior camper height is the same when I'm in the stationary mode.

20140218_B_bow top up.jpg

Pulled the front bumpers even with each other. I'm on a 6" lift and 37's. EarthRoamer had 39's and some kinda air bag deal suspension. Hood height exactly the same. I got way more suspension flex.

20140218_C_hood height.jpg

This EarthRoamer was loooong. You can kinda see the wheelbase in the background. The rear tires are where my rear bumper is. And you can obviously see the overall length dif'rence. Wow. (Mine's an extended cab shortbed.)

20140218_D_length.jpg

I'm just dwarfed sittin' next to this beast. We got the same front winch but he's got one on the rear too. If I had that monster I think I'd put winches on both sides too.

My spare tire's gone since I broke my Aluminess carrier. Took these pics on my way to San Diego so Aluminess can rebuild and replace the carrier. They're doin' it for free and are great Folks to work with.

20140218_E_stern.jpg

So why post this? I don't know. I know it's apples to oranges but I just thought it was cool. The salesmen were takin' pics too.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Those big tahrs and the airbag suspension are phenomenal, and a US$20K option, if I remember correctly. The airbags are easy to adjust from the cabin to raise one side on a sidehill, or one end for a ledge, or for quick leveling at a campsite. ER has a ton of the old small wheels and tires for sale cheap, simply because so many owners are converting to the big ones.

http://earthroamer.com/xv-lt/driving/off-road/

I'll never own one unless I win the lottery, but the ER XV-LT trucks are way at the top of my "most admired" list..... If only they would build one on a Ram 5500 Cab and Chassis! I won't own a Ford diesel.

John Davies
Spokane WA, USA

Kowboy

Adventurer
Kowboy, do you have your own build thread?

Not on here.

Details have popped up in various places though. '02 with slightly modified 7.3L with 60k original miles. Highly modified auto transmission. Atlas 4-speed transfer case. Fully built Dynatrac ProRock60 and ProRock80 axles with ARB's. Hydro-assist high steer. 6" ICON springs with cab-controlled rear air bags. Custom rear traction bar and sliders. 37" Toyos on Spyderlock beadlocks. Bumpers, lights, winch, onboard air, etc., etc.

... and the Lariat package with heated leather seats. :)

Hallmark Milner camper.

I won't own a Ford diesel.

So I won't hold my breath on you buyin' mine.

I'm OK with that ... but reckon Campin' World's gonna be disappointed tho. I'm sure they'd like to get shed of that one quick. It's on consignment.

UHAULER

Explorer
Kowboy, I hate looking at your truck, it makes mine look so wimpy:Wow1:

Mine is an 02 350 supercab shortbed sitting on measly 295/75/16's. I'm thinking of 35's for the next set of tires and minimum lift.

DSCN0262copy.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Re-read Kowboy's first post using Sam Elliott's voice... It's fun... "Steak. It's what's for dinner."

Kowboy

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments Folks. This rig's the culmination of many rigs I've built up over the years and I'm thinkin' I finally got me a keeper. Which is a good thang since I live in it too.

Kowboy, I hate looking at your truck, it makes mine look so wimpy.

Don't be so hard on yourself sir. All my ex-wives used to try to console me by sayin' that size don't matter. But with that said ... sure am glad I finally got me a big 'un. Truck that is.

Kowboy,
I'm thinking of 35's for the next set of tires and minimum lift.

I propose it's a dangerous path you're fixin' to embark on sir. In my opinion, the stock drivetrain on these trucks is marginal at best even for stock tires ... 'special'y the front axle. Movin' up to 35's increases the strain on a whole mess of thangs. Lookin' sexy on 35's ain't worth a damned when you're walkin' back out of a trail cuz you done broke up your junk. Reckon I coulda fed half the starvin' young'uns in the Great State of Texas with the money I spent replacin' all the stock stuff. And for what? To get a hun'erd feet further up the trail than you can??

My advice is to love whatcha got and enjoy the hell out of it. Hope to see ya out on the trail some day. I'll even walk back the hun'erd feet to your camp and have a beer with ya. :beer:

Carry on.

DaVikes

Adventurer
Nice truck, Kowboy. You should write a book. It would sell. Or maybe write for the truck magazines. That was the most fun truck comparison I've ever read. Safe travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne