RIP...my mint Gen3

dookie

Observer
So, I got t-boned yesterday. People are fine, truck not so much. Cross traffic blew a stop sign and hit me from the left in & behind the front wheel. At 12 years / 208k, I can't imagine that there is enough book value left for it not to be totaled. '01 XLS with OME lift, LSD & roof...I'm thinking ~$4500?

Saddest thing is that it was still gorgeous & running like a top. Synthetic fluids since new, all timely maintenance (like $2k of AT/timing/water pump/plugs/wires/y-pipe just 6mos ago!), great interior, southern life (no rust) & mainly road miles...low stress. Any tips for negotiating value with the insurance drones? I doubt I can replace her for twice what they'll give me. Just so damn wrong...minding my own business & bang, car payments.

Next question...what to replace it with? I won't miss the 3.5. Maybe time for the 3.8...what's fair $ for a clean NP? Or maybe something else entirely (asking the wrong crowd, probably)? Any suggestions welcome.

Sigh.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear the news and glad all are OK. Twice I have been involved in accidents that were not my fault, both totaled trucks and like you said = new car payments - still leaves me pissed.
Good luck with the search!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If you have receipts for all of the work including the services and aftermarket accessories it will increase the valuation when they try to salvage it. Having been down this road a lot myself I know quite a bit about the process, if you post some pictures of the damage and I can help more. And whatever you do, make sure you retain ownership if they do salvage it so you can swap the parts over to the next one you buy.

dookie

Observer
Yup...a total. Dammit.

Unibody @ a-pillar / door hinge is mangled, both suspension & driveline damage on that corner.

No payout info yet. Inspector graded her a 4 of 5 ('dealer', vs the highest 'excellent') and the report goes to the bean counters. I'm readying my lists of evidence.

GFO

Observer
If they total it, you can buy it back from them at salvage cost, which might be worth it to then part her out. Or possibly fix up enough to be an offroad only rig?

dookie

Observer
So here I am @ 3a my time, not sleeping because I'm sick to my stomach about all this. Insurance says $3900 and they won't consider anything that I might argue adds value unless it was done in the last 12mos & I have receipts, and even then 10% is about all they said to expect. So I faxed them ~$3k of receipts and am waiting for the final verdict.

Salvage is $700, so subtract that and I can keep her. Not sure I'm up for the run around of a part - out.

Anyone need a Bosal stainless y-pipe? New & uninstalled, with gaskets, now orphaned and sitting in my garage. I paid ~$350.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So here I am @ 3a my time, not sleeping because I'm sick to my stomach about all this. Nationwide said $3900 and they won't consider anything that I might argue adds value unless it was done in the last 12mos & I have receipts, and even then 10% is about all they said to expect. So I faxed them ~$3k of receipts and am waiting for the final verdict.

Salvage is $700, so subtract that and I can keep her. Not sure I'm up for the run around of a part - out.

Anyone need a Bosal stainless y-pipe? New & uninstalled, with gaskets, now orphaned and sitting in my garage. I paid ~$350.

I'm pretty damn sure you have more than $700 in aftermarket parts on it, so retain ownership to get your parts off it and then sell the rest to the local salvage yard for likely more than $500.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Damn, it made me sick to read this. She was the same year and color as my Ltd! :( Of course, I'm relieved that you weren't injured, but it's still a depressing story. I don't have any experience with a totaled vehicle, but know that you sometimes do well in buying it from the insurance company. If it helps any, I'd be happy to speak to you if you end up trying to recoup some of your investment by selling the OME suspension.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Damn, it made me sick to read this. She was the same year and color as my Ltd! :( Of course, I'm relieved that you weren't injured, but it's still a depressing story. I don't have any experience with a totaled vehicle, but know that you sometimes do well in buying it from the insurance company. If it helps any, I'd be happy to speak to you if you end up trying to recoup some of your investment by selling the OME suspension.

Dude, if he retains the salvage it will be to USE THE PARTS ON HIS NEXT RIG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online