Sealing Metal Jerry Cans

NMC_EXP

Explorer
There are beaucoup threads on jerry cans here but I did not find any on sealing them.

I have a few USGI metal 5 gal jerry cans. Two of them "seep" thru the lower seam between the base and side. Not puddles, just always damp around the seam. The inner walls of the cans are good - just a few rust "freckles" here and there.

Plenty of opinions on jerry can sealers elsewhere on the 'net, but no consensus. So I'm asking the folks who actually use jerry cans as opposed to having one as a decorative item.

What is/are the preferred methods of sealing minor jerry can leaks?

Thanks

Jim

luckyjoe

Adventurer
What is/are the preferred methods of sealing minor jerry can leaks?

Replacement.

Seriously, if you are even considering transporting or storing gasoline you NEED a leak-proof, sealed container. Anything less is darwinism...

Tom P.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Replacement.

Seriously, if you are even considering transporting or storing gasoline you NEED a leak-proof, sealed container. Anything less is darwinism...

Tom P.

Many of the places I travel have sections with Darwin award potential even if driving an electric vehicle.

Maybe I ought to stay home.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Thousands upon thousands of motorcycle riders have sealed gas tanks between their legs.....I've not heard of any private parts on fire......:bike_rider:

86tuning

Adventurer
Some radiator shops can repair gas tanks. Take it in for inspection and a repair quote.

IMO, since new NATO steel jerrycans are about $50/ea so sometimes it may not be cost effective to repair.

SteveJ

Make sure you prep well for POR 15 or it may not set up right then you have a real mess inside the can. Lots of places sell cans i would not even worry about using an old one unless it was WW2 vintage for collectors value and you have a historical vehicle. There is an army technical manual on the steel soldiers website that gives the criteria for handling fuel cans. :Wow1: Ive got dozens of cans and if they are done they are done and I get rid of them.

robert

Expedition Leader
For a fuel can I'd just trash it and get another NATO can (shop around and you can find them on sale occasionally); it's not worth the money for the kit plus the hassle of doing a proper prep job and sealing it in my opinion. Motorcycle tanks are another story, especially with many models hard to find these days. I did one of my old Honda CBs with Kreem; kept it for a couple more years then sold it and it was still running fine at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94