Building homemade truck bed camper for my chevy colorado

Alexleno

AlexLeno
they are on even because on the one side of my truck bed I have a tool box

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

rotti

Adventurer
Also concerned about the final weight with 2x3 framing and plywood exterior.
Have you checked your door frame or glove box for your payload rating on that truck?
Are you doing a full build out on the interior: cabinets, sink, fridge, water, propane, bed, etc.?

I admire your fortitude to take this on but I'm worried that you may not be happy with how that truck handles the load especially with a 4 banger.

Alexleno

AlexLeno
the engine is the last component that I would be worried about my 4 cylinder engine puts out 255 horsepower when I last dynoed it so it has plenty of course power the only real concern I have is with keeping the center of gravity low I can't see the weight of the camper coming out to more than 800 pounds at max and my payload capacity is over 1400 pounds I will be doing cabinets and beds however there will be no sink or fridge

Alexleno

AlexLeno
ypy4u6et.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
Dude you are my hero! Every time it snows I have to hear about my tools and camper taking up space in the shop( garage)
If I expanded to the living room I would be
able to sing in a boys choir :)
nice job so far. As many have stated weight will be an issue, stick built campers(alaskan) use 2x2s minimally, and rely on the entire structure acting as a box to keep it together. This makes it lite(relatively) but also it does not take much "rot" to destroy the strength.
If you don't plan on a full build out( furnace /water/water heater /toilet ect you can probably keep it manageable

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

ripperj

Explorer
I should have been more clear. The upper part of an Alaskan is framed with 2x2s, the lower half is all plywood. 3/4" front wall and floor, the rest is 1/2". My point is that even with this lighter build method than yours, a 8' cab over is around 1700lbs dry, but that does include a full interior with the exception of a shower.

I am not trying to be even remotely critical, just giving you a data point.

Again your build looks like fun.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Trav0302

Observer
Keep the build up I'm loving it!

What are you going to do for a door and windows if your putting windows in?

Alexleno

AlexLeno
Will be putting one window in I already have it and the door I Will most likely make my self

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke