Tire sizes.. oh the possibilities

mrpotatohead

Observer
I need some help from folks who are more long distance oriented. I'm currently running 315 75 16 Toyo Open Country which comes out to 34 and some change (current measurements at 5-6/32 comes out to just under 33") I know but I'm looking for a narrower AT to use with the same wheels while staying in the 34" range. Google hasn't yielded much in my search.

Neuner

Observer
Had to look up the actual width of the tire you mentioned to get some idea.

Sorry I'm not much help but the only tires that I'm aware of that are 'pizza cutters' are the BFG AT & MT (KM2), Interco's and the military specialty tires. But the BFGs and Intercos are in 15" wheel sizes. I *think* the military versions are in 20" sizes. They're not always shown, sold or listed. May have to search or call local tire dealers to see if they have them or can order. I currently have KM's that are 33x10.5x15 and hope to get new KM2's in the same size. The 35" versions come in 12.5" widths I believe.

*edit*
I typically use www.tirerack.com when researching tire brands, sizes and weights since they carry a very wide range. Search by Tire Size and not by vehicle. Haven't ordered from them though.

Last edited:

mrpotatohead

Observer
Thanks, i really like the 33x10.50. i'm just fed up with crap getting flung on the sides because my tire sticks out and I know some skinnier tires would give me a hair better mileage. I just don't want to drop height that much because I'm running 4.88 gears and 1st gear is barely useful. This is where I'm at with 3.75 backspacing (spacers factored in)
enuby7yv.jpg

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Have you looked into the Duratracs or Toyo AT/2's? I have the Duratracs in the same size as your M/Ts and they run close to 34.5". I don't recall the mounted width, but I'd be willing to check if you're interested.

mrpotatohead

Observer
Have you looked into the Duratracs or Toyo AT/2's? I have the Duratracs in the same size as your M/Ts and they run close to 34.5". I don't recall the mounted width, but I'd be willing to check if you're interested.

My sister has been lobbying for Duratracs since they came out ( she used to run a Goodyear store.. no seriously)That would be great if you could measure, I know every manufacturer is different in actual measured size. 295 75 16 is looking to be a viable option as it could possibly allow me to ditch the spacers since it's almost an inch skinner and *close* to a 34 but limits me in tire selection

86tuning

Adventurer
Nice 914. Looks just like my old 73 2.0 except mine was yellow.

315s are pretty much 35x12.5 and there isn't much wiggle room to get that diameter and get a narrower tire due to the aspect ratio. I *believe* that swampers were available in 35x10.5 but I'm not sure, never looked into that.

Have you considered a small plastic or rubber flare extension?

Otherwise stepping up to a 17" tire may give you options in the 285/75 range...

Good luck!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had Toyo Open Country AT-2 Xtremes on the Power Wagon in a 285/75-17. That's a 34"
Great tire.

And I'm running Cooper Discoverer ST-Maxx in a 255/80-17 on the Jeep ----- so far so good. Have only gotten to use them on graded/washboard and wet road.

mrpotatohead

Observer
I've noticed ALOT of 17" JK wheels going up for sale around here lately. I should have tires and brakes by the end of the month when I get back from Indiana. I'm keeping those as an option but I'm budgeting $1200 for tires out of my bonus so we'll see where I'm at with that, maybe I can snag a set of 17's for cheap.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've noticed ALOT of 17" JK wheels going up for sale around here lately. I should have tires and brakes by the end of the month when I get back from Indiana. I'm keeping those as an option but I'm budgeting $1200 for tires out of my bonus so we'll see where I'm at with that, maybe I can snag a set of 17's for cheap.
255/85-16 only costs a little bit more than the 255/80-17
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000019869.html

LUISJG

Explorer
I just got 285 75 17 bfg km2 they are perfect size with NO Lift for me,only a 3/4 inch spacer in the front because of bumper weight, was going to go with at but all I found where wider than these.
I absolutely love this things.there is a lot of space in the front this pic doesn't look as much because of the angle I guess

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 1012380_590171094394747_122854260_n.jpg
    1012380_590171094394747_122854260_n.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 49

Doctor W

Adventurer
If you fitted up a set of flares (size dependant on wheel width) you could fit whatever you wanted within reason (of the tire diameter and wheel well size).

mrpotatohead

Observer
I think the 255 85 16 may be a winner winner. I've done some eyeballing and with the 5.5" springs replaced with 4" around the same time I put tires on it should actually fit about perfect. It may turn a little higher RPM but that's why I have 6 gears right?

WininUtah

Adventurer
I was running the Hankook M/Ts on my LJR, LT295/75R-16. These are 33.6" with a tread width of 9". I just ordered parts to do the build on my JKUR and will be running the Hankooks, again. They also have the ATm, all terrain, if you don't need the M/T. I'm a Hankook dealer and they have engineering/design facility in Akron, their tires are designed for the US.

Here's my LJR with the Hankooks:
medium800.jpg

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Hey WininUtah, will you hook us up with a righteous Hankook deal if ever we're in your neck of the woods? :coffee: :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles