The EEXP is Born

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
No longer associated with that company in any way.

Other than traveling in an expedition vehicle they built... I guess I find it interesting that you still say that your Ford was a Sportsmobile, but your Dodge is now a 'custom composite'

I understand that they declined to continue to be a sponsor, but they did do the build.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Other than traveling in an expedition vehicle they built... I guess I find it interesting that you still say that your Ford was a Sportsmobile, but your Dodge is now a 'custom composite'

I understand that they declined to continue to be a sponsor, but they did do the build.

Your information is a bit off, as XPCamper never "declined to continue to be a sponsor." The details of the relationship between myself and XPCamper is not something I talk about or write about, it was a personal and business relationship that did not work out.

I bought a used Sportsmobile, which I have since sold, which was based on a Ford van. It is referred to as a Sportsmobile, because it was much more than a ford van and a product in the Sportsmobile lineup. I helped design and physically build a custom camper system for my personal travels in association with XPCamper, it carried their logo and branding until the relationship dissolved. Due to the way things ended with XPCamper I no longer associate with them in any way, and my camper is not a model that they manufacture or plan to recreate, hence why I now refer to my custom one off camper as the "EEXP" or a "custom composite" camper.

Hopefully that clarifies your confusion.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
ALLLLrighty then... How bout that winch!? Huh?

The 16.5ti is the right winch for this big truck. Impressed by it in all ways. Do wish it was lighter in weight, but switching to synthetic might help me in that direction. Weight reduces capability and puts more stress on most vehicle systems, in all overland off-road vehicle builds. Everything is a compromise however, and a winch is something I deemed necessary for this build as I plan to do quite a bit of solo vehicle off-road travel. A winch and a set of Maxtrax are the keys to self recovery in my experience.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hopefully that clarifies your confusion.

I think many of us have heard other versions of this, but it is good to hear your perspective.

Remember that future sponsors are going to look carefully at your past relationships. Like most industries, this one is pretty close knit when it comes to things like this.

As with the GXV drama, I'm sure that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I think many of us have heard other versions of this, but it is good to hear your perspective.

Remember that future sponsors are going to look carefully at your past relationships. Like most industries, this one is pretty close knit when it comes to things like this.

As with the GXV drama, I'm sure that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that you and "many others" have heard other versions of this. That can only mean that the other party involved has another version and has been talking about it publicly. While that is fine, it is also extremely unprofessional. Everyone will have their own perspective, and will listen to whom they wish to listen to. I'm sure many assumptions will be made about this relationship, especially because I will continue to handle myself in a professional manner and not speak about it publicly.

Future and current sponsors are important to me, especially within this extremely tight knit community/industry. Luckily I have a great relationship with all my current and past sponsors, and a number of new companies that have approached me recently, besides the one that dissolved with XPCamper.

I'm actually not sure what GXV drama you speak of. I'm sure I could come up with a "drama" story with every company in this industry, but such is the nature of business. It is a two way street and everyone isn't going to be happy all the time. The reality of many situations is truly only known between the involved parties, and the public perception of things is many times something totally different from that reality.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
The EEXP was designed from the start to carry Maxtrax. Over the past year I have been VERY thankful to have these amazing recovery tools on my adventures. If you're getting off the beaten path, especially when traveling as a solo vehicle, Maxtrax are something you're going to want to have!

EEXP: Maxtrax

EEMaxtraxReview-4.jpg

EEMaxtraxReview-1.jpg

Fender

Very cool build! Do you have a weight break down of how everything adds up to 10,500 lbs when fully loaded?

I am in the process of designing my own camper and this information would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Ben

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Very cool build! Do you have a weight break down of how everything adds up to 10,500 lbs when fully loaded?

I am in the process of designing my own camper and this information would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Ben

Sadly I don't have a breakdown, but should probably figure one up sometime. I ran the rig across a scale over the summer up in Canada fully loaded with our gear, food, water, fuel, extra fuel and two passengers. The fuel and water add up quick for sure!

Best of luck on your build. My suggestion is to go as light as possible. Less is more in these situations. Less weight makes it more capable off road without costly modifications and makes parts last much longer, on top of better fuel economy.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
The 16.5ti is the right winch for this big truck. Impressed by it in all ways. Do wish it was lighter in weight, but switching to synthetic might help me in that direction. Weight reduces capability and puts more stress on most vehicle systems, in all overland off-road vehicle builds. Everything is a compromise however, and a winch is something I deemed necessary for this build as I plan to do quite a bit of solo vehicle off-road travel. A winch and a set of Maxtrax are the keys to self recovery in my experience.

Quick question: What kind of synthetic line are you going to be running? I've also got a 16.5ti, and I seem to remember that it stated somewhere in the paperwork not to use synthetic due to drum heat issues.....

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Quick question: What kind of synthetic line are you going to be running? I've also got a 16.5ti, and I seem to remember that it stated somewhere in the paperwork not to use synthetic due to drum heat issues.....

Only a few companies out there supply synthetic line that is rated high enough for this winch. I've been looking at MasterPull and Viking.

I have no doubt that in the user manual on the 16.5ti it says not to use synthetic. On the flip side I know lots of people who do use synthetic without issues on this winch. For big vehicle overland winching, which is usually not a rushed affair, I believe Synthetic is fine to use on this winch, but for sure that is just an opinion.

DzlToy

Explorer
The reason you will hear, "Don't use a synthetic line on a winch" is that 'some' winches have a brake inside the drum. This generates heat when powering out (not free-spool) and when winching in. You have several options:

Get a heat resistant sleeve for the first layer of your winch, very common in the rock crawling community, as almost everyone uses synthetic line now. I have seen synthetic line over heat and fail, so it is a concern.

Get a winch that has an external brake on it instead of one inside the drum (heat source gone)

Most synthetic lines now are a derivative of Spectra-fiber/Dyneema. I believe it was originally created for the shipping industry and now most companies just have a line made for them. Google is your friend.

You should have no trouble at all finding line for your 16,500 pound winch. I have seen synthetic hawse lines the size of a man's bicep. They may not be cheap or plentiful, but getting one for that weight rating is not difficult by any means. Breaking strength on 1/2" rope is 35,500 pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles