The EEXP is Born

bphang10

Observer
looks like the ultimate funhog-mobile and the start of a great trip!
wondering what is used for the roof lift and how you like it? also, do you know what kind of tie down is used for the roof? they look a bit different than the standard tie down that rusts after one trip to the coast.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Good progress here, Bryon. I did not think there was a snowball's chance in Hell that you would finish in time for EXPO. I'm the guy you met at XP one day with the same exact truck, and the same exact foibles. Good to see you on the road again doing what you do. Remember, change that lift pump...or else. 8<)
Here is where we were instead of following you over to OX2014:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27722214.cfm
regards, as always, jefe (who lives in Nevada City)

Last edited:

Triumphdog

Adventurer
[QUOTE

I'm pretty sure you saw the AT built 4WheelCamper Flatbed model on a white Tacoma that is Foster Huntington's rig Triumphdog, as he was recently in the area as well and XP only has one Taco build so far and I don't think it has been down that way recently.[/QUOTE]

If you are gonna build another Tacoma set up like that please let me know. I'm very...very interested!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
bphang10: We are using an electric actuator system to raise the roof. The system is not currently on the market, but some camper companies, like XPCamper, have access to getting the system. The roof latches are of a rubber construction with stainless hardware. It is a bigger style of the same latch used on the XPCamper V2. I'm not sure where to get them, but XPCamper might be able to point you in the right direction.

Mundo4x4Casa: Very few people gave us a snowballs chance in hell, but determination and the solid crew at XPCamper made it happen. Already swapped out the lift pump for the Raptor unit :) Your adventure in ID looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. I wish I was on that flooded river, the ww looked amazing. Stay in touch and travel on!

Triumphdog: XPCamper is building a bunch of V2's, the camper that can fit on the Tacoma. There is quite the wait list for them actually, so if you are serious just drop them a line and get in the queue.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Quick story and some more photos from the EEXP's debut at Overland Expo 2014:

http://www.exploringelements.com/overland-expo-2014-eexp-debut/
EEXPDebutOverlandExpo-2.jpg

AKRover

Adventurer
Just saw your truck today, very nice looking camper. Not like anything I have seen before but it looks perfect for two people and you can bring all your toys too. Hopefully the weather improves, enjoy your stay.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks @AKRover! Weather has been good when we need it to be, like getting a full view of Denali 2 days ago. For sure have had some wet rainy days. Setting off to Prudhoe Bay tomorrow. Think its going to be quite muddy!!!

Darwin

Explorer
How do you feel about it's size? Floor space looks tight, I wonder if it was a foot or two longer on a longbed truck if it would feel more open? Hard to tell from pictures. I imagine in person it probably feels pretty open since the top raises.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Darwin,
For sure the EEXP is a small camper. It feels way more open and has much more usable space than my van had, even though the van technically had more "sq footage." For sure you could make a more roomy version of this camper on a long wheel base truck, but then it wouldn't be as nimble offroad, have as good a turning radius and fit in a normal parking spot. Everything with a expedition rig like this is a compromise. Sarah and I live full time in this rig and find it to be comfortable enough for us.
Thanks, Bryon

CMC_Ore

Bryon,

Great truck, great reads, but now, HONEST answers (no politically correct: "Hindsight is always 20/20 and there are a ton of things that I would have done differently in regard to both the build process and build itself." - which is a GREAT answer!)
Other than the pass-through window (which I agree about) what are the REAL 3-5 things you would have done differently or missed the mark on?
NOTE: I recognize that maybe it's not a public answer so shoot me a PM and it stays "off-record"!
Again - GREAT TRUCK!
cmc_ore

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I hear you completely CMC_Ore, but HONESTLY can't really talk about it right now. I fully plan to release my finding from this build as time goes on. I have a few more in-depth post ideas about camper building, both the process and actual build out. The learning curve is HUGE when doing a project like this, but there is no way your going to nail everything right on the first attempt, especially with the time frame and budget this build was done on. Sadly just have to say stay tuned for now :) If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them either here or through PM.

Darwin

Explorer
Can we hear what happened between you and XP? Is there information that future XP Cube buyers should be aware of? You stated that you will no longer be participating in the xp enthusiasts forum.

adam88

Explorer
Can we hear what happened between you and XP? Is there information that future XP Cube buyers should be aware of? You stated that you will no longer be participating in the xp enthusiasts forum.

Going to take a wild guess here and say that there were major creative differences between the two of them. The OP worked side by side apparently in the factory, helping with the build. That's bound to create some tension... working with someone so often. If I had to guess even further, I'd say that the OP has maybe had difficulties with his build (either things don't work properly, or it isn't what he thought it would be). I'd guess Marc has refused (maybe?) to fix stuff and taken an attitude of "That's how you wanted it... I told you it wouldn't work". Or something like that. Who knows. As stated before by OP, this was a "collaboration" build. Sounds like OP wanted to build his own camper but didn't have all the tools to do it, so wanted someone to hold his hand (nothing wrong with that) throughout the build process. Marc was happy to oblige. Somewhere along the way, something went wrong. I'm glad the OP isn't bad mouthing Marc though, because honestly, not many vendors would do what Marc did (let someone build a camper along side them in such an intimate way). OP sounds like just dealing with it as a learning experience.

Guessing is fun though, and usually prompts people to tell the ACTUAL story. So guess away and make up stuff and eventually the truth will come out lol.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I'm sure there will be lots of speculation, but the bottom line is that I have separated all ties with XPCamper. That means that I will not be talking about XPCamper. The EEXP is my full time home and I don't have any current plans to change that. I will continue to refine the build and write about the process and adventures. I will try to keep this thread up to date with all things EEXP. Thanks for following the #LifeOfAdventure.

PS: Sorry for the delayed response to this thread, but the past 2 weeks have been nuts with the EEXP being featured at SEMA and doing my media thing at the show. The rig got a LOT of attention from a lot of really cool and influential people in the automotive industry, as it stood out from the crowd of blinged out vehicles that focused on looks over function.

10734153_714231605329784_4992855891745979559_n.jpg
15815_718031558283122_1360082574554874149_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles