'02 Superduty performance headlights??

Kowboy

Adventurer
My stock headlights sucked. So I replaced them with some aftermarket LED units that I got on the cheap (don't even know the brand). They suck even more.

Anybody got some recommendations for some high end units?

Thanks.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yes the stock lights are bad especially after they haze over. Before I switched mine out I was using my spot lights to try and see where I was going.

I couldn't find an LED replacement light for my F250 that were made by a company I had heard of so I replaced mine with some less expensive units. This is what I ended up with, and I'm very happy with them.

Regarding LED lights in general. The quality of LED lights varies from excellent to poor even though a high quality brand like BajaDesigns look the same as the no name brand. We were at a show in Phoenix recently and the booth across from us sold LED lights, when I went over to look at them the sales pitch to me was the low price, the dealer margins, and the fact that if and when they stopped working the unit would be replaced no questions asked. When I asked them which LED they used, what the light pattern, penetration, and color was they couldn't answer my question.

Later I strolled over to the Rigid Industries booth asked them the same questions and had them all answered in depth.

It's extremely difficult to judge LED lights on looks alone.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I updated to the 2005-2007 style headlights and it was a great improvement over stock. I like having stock components. Total price was around $300. I went with a chrome grille since I didn't want the expense of paint matching and I went with Harley headlights because I couldn't decide on Harley or regular and the Harley ones were $1 cheaper. You can go with the clear headlights and different styles of grille for the same prices.

2007 Headlights, grille, header panelYes$248 EbayEbay
Grille emblemYes$36 FordAmazon
Headlight wiring harness adapterYes$10EbayEbay

Buckstop017.jpg
Buckstop016.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I updated to the 2005-2007 style headlights and it was a great improvement over stock. I like having stock components. Total price was around $300. I went with a chrome grille since I didn't want the expense of paint matching and I went with Harley headlights because I couldn't decide on Harley or regular and the Harley ones were $1 cheaper. You can go with the clear headlights and different styles of grille for the same prices.

2007 Headlights, grille, header panelYes$248 EbayEbay
Grille emblemYes$36 FordAmazon
Headlight wiring harness adapterYes$10EbayEbay

View attachment 213616
View attachment 213617

Very nice upgrade.

brian90744

American Trekker
great lights

I used HDI bulbs 55W -5000K from DDM Tuning.com. Under $ 75. a pair very bright. I can see a night .
thanks brian

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Careful using 55w hid in headlight housings. They could melt them. I have the super duty xl. I am installing truck lite headlights and 4 hella 700s with 55w hids

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Kowboy

Adventurer
Thanks for the help Folks!

Maybe I should be lookin' for performance '07 lights then??

I done had the grille swapped out to the newer model and it looks like maybe the headlights too?? Quite frankly, now I ain't sure what model year headlights they are and the receipt don't specify. You can plainly see in this pic how the driver's side headlight barely comes on. They look really cool with the lil' LED lights in the middle lit up with the parkin' lights but the headlight portions ain't much at all. Need to be replaced bad. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reckon I can just swap out the bulbs with the ones listed above?

I have my junk built and then I drive the hell out of it ... but I ain't much on fixin' it. Folks in my club say the only tool I know how to use is my checkbook. :sombrero:

bow close-up.JPG

kojackJKU

Looks like a wiring issue with your driver side light. Just remember most times those cheap Chinese headlights are junk for actual light output.

Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

Mike.rider

Observer
Check out The Retrofit Source http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ they specialize in parts for headlight upgrades. it takes some work to do but the results are well worth the labor.

basically you bake apart the headlight, install a now projector and reseal the light.

here's my ranger with D2S projectors.

IMG_1860_zpsbe0fcb67.jpg

IMG_1745_zps0ef09646.jpg

IMG_1732_zps01a33963.jpg

ExploringNH

Explorer
Something is definitely wrong with your headlights. Your headlights have been swapped for the newer style. This means that you have a wiring harness adapter installed from your truck wiring to the headlights. The cheap adapters can burn up and cause problems like you show. Check the adapter on the bad side and see what it looks like. If it looks good, check the bulb. You should have far more light output than what you show. Those are cheap headlights but I know of plenty of people that run them with good results.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I have to say my '02 headlights ******k. I have not found any replacements that don't look like Johnny Racer lights, so I just added two 55w HID into the grill and have those wired to the high beams for quick 'lowering' to on coming vehicles. Around town I just live with the less then great low beams. The factory HID/Xenon lights on my other cars sure spoil me and make the Ford seem even worse.
As others have said, I've never had any luck with 'cheap' light upgrades.
02grill.jpg

kojackJKU

That's a great way of doing it. I have 55w hid retroed hella 500s on my high beam. Works great. I am going to run truck lites in my super duty as mine has sealed beams.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior