Tents in desert?

expdood

I see so many pictures of tent trailers in deserts. Aren't the desert winds a problem for tents (damage, noise) with all the wind there?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

shogun

Adventurer
The first year they took expo to mormon lake there was a strong wind storm that blew through the camp ground. Two types of tents were the only ones left standing; Oz Tent and Ezi Awn RTT.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Roof Top Tents are wonderful in the desert. Most of the dust is blowing around at ground level to three or four feet up. Above that it's much less dusty.

Wind effects all tents, but a rigid three or four hoop system creates much more stability than a flexible ground tent. Wind of itself is not noisy, the noise comes from the wind moving the tent fabric or support lines. Tent design is critical as is the fabric fit when it comes to noise.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I've slept in my Eezi Awn RTT on an AT Chaser in winds of more than 65mph; the PVC fly is a little noisy but not too bad and the setup is very stable. I had a Hannibal before that on another trailer and it had a nylon fly - very noisy but also stable.

dms1

Explorer
Since I mostly camp in the So Cal deserts, wind has been a problem when tent camping. I eventually bought a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man ten after watching this video, so far it has worked out great. We went camping near Randsburg over this last presidents day weekend and the wind gust were up to 40 Mph and it did not even phase or deform the tent.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
There are few nylon tents that will withstand really hard blows, arguably none that are quiet. Canvas tents are much better in the wind. I have a Kodiak Canvas that is very solid and nearly soundless as there is no fly. Springbar is nearly identical and made in USA. Equipt sells a rock solid canvas dome tent.

All canvas tents are heavy, but if car camping who cares. Most are treated against mildew but still take a bit more care.

But I still prefer my Autohome Columbus RTT in desert winds. As stated above being up over the blowing dust is great. Even a tent-cot is better than a ground tent. One key for any tent is high quality stakes set up properly. Best I have found are the big steel ones supplied by Snow Peak.

Ps: this was not meant as an argument against the Cabelas Alaskan tent. It is one of the few nylon tents that can handle a hard blow. There is another Cabelas tent they show a jet blasting it with 70 mph winds. I tried it but too darn slow to set up. Took it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
MAggiolina tents have no issue with high winds in my experience. Ground tents tend to lay down unless theyre similar to some of the low-pro nemo/rei style tents.

dcoy

Adventurer
We did have problems with winds last Spring in Death Valley with our Eezi Awn RTT. Particularly, the rain fly whipped loudly and the wires that suspend the fly would go flying in short order, with subsequent uncontrolled whipping of the fly. Our resolution, in discussion with AT, would be to go "fly-less" in any future experiences with high wind. Of course, we would have to anticipate this when we raise the tent.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
We did have problems with winds last Spring in Death Valley with our Eezi Awn RTT. Particularly, the rain fly whipped loudly and the wires that suspend the fly would go flying in short order, with subsequent uncontrolled whipping of the fly. Our resolution, in discussion with AT, would be to go "fly-less" in any future experiences with high wind. Of course, we would have to anticipate this when we raise the tent.

Before I got my Autohome Columbus I had an older Hannibal RTT with the usual config of canvas tent and nylon rain fly. I just never used the fly unless there was a chance of rain. Even sat through a few showers w/o the fly and no rain came in. My RTT was mounted on a trailer so pulling the fly over after setup was not too difficult but if the RTT was vehicle mounted it would be a challenge.

Ace

rwingnut

Observer
I've had trouble with blowing sand jamming the zipper. Southern Utah windstorm one night blew fine sand and jammed the zipper. That was a surprise when I woke up the next morning and couldn't get out. I didn't realize what has happened and was ready to send the tent in to have the zipper replaced. I had cleaned the tent out and the zipper suddenly started working.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer

I just fasten the buckles on the fly and let the lower parts flap, not too noisy and you don't have to find the wire supports in the morning. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

caslim

Observer
Our no name RTT has made it through many wind storms. I think being off the ground does help.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

brentbba

Explorer
The Springbar I had held up extremely well in howling wind/rainstorms at Pismo Beach as well as similar wind storms out in the desert. Eezi-Awn Globetrotter has been great in the one windstorm up in Big Bear too. Similar storms in my now departed two pole nylon tent would have been a disaster.

otis24

Observer
Camp site selection means a lot too. If you know where the wind will be coming from a tree or some boulders can make a differance. Also pointing your tent with a narrow face into the wind is a good idea.

My black diamond hi light tent took a couple 100mph blasts on Shasta at 10K feet a couple years ago. We'd run all the guy lines to deep dead man anchors and built a small snow wall. One other tent we saw got torn up pretty bad. The hi light is designed for mountaineering and is very light and strong. It's small enough you could set it up on top a camper shell or in a truck bed. The down sides are it's single wall and will get condensation in humid weather. It's also expensive. It's also small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles