F150 Flatbed Overlander Build

escadventure

Adventurer
A little winter tinkering.

Well, I got the last few things set up on the back-seat storage rack: a couple small shovels and a molle board and bags. Now to just fine tune a proper place for everything...

attachment.php

And every good camper needs a good spice rack, right? Gotta make sure the camp chef has an convenient set-up to work her magic... So how about something home-made from diamond plate aluminum and a Jeep roll bar handle?

attachment.php

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
This thing is so cool! I always liked these body style F bodies. Always wondered why I never see any on the trails on the forums. Just didnt catch on I guess.

escadventure

Adventurer
AXLE GEAR SWAP - real numbers

In case anyone is interested in the effects of changing the axle gears in your truck, here are some facts from my experience:
I like the 4.6 engine in my truck because of it's reliability and now, post gear change, reasonable mpgs for this type of vehicle. And, much as I love the diesel trucks on this forum, I prefer gas engines for myself.
Awhile back I replaced the 29" tall street tires with 31" tall GY Duratrac E-rated tires.
I just recently changed the gears in my truck from .355 to .410

These are most likely the contributing factors to what I consider less than satisfactory mpg's and also, on the highway at around 62mph, the engine was turning about 1450rpm. Obviously way too low to make power, so the autotrans down shifted on all but the slightest incline. Which for me, was extremely annoying. I installed an aftermarket exhaust which helped the mpg's a bit, then installed the gears.

After installing the gears, I calibrated the Edge monitor mph by using the tire size adjustment feature and comparing it to gps speed. It is calibrated to within 1 mph high. As you can see from the pic of my Edge screen, the gear change has resulted in about 500rpm increase. This has proved enough to allow maintaining highway speed without downshifting, short of climbing a proper hill.

attachment.php

Although the means by which I calculated distance (because the dash odo is no longer reliable with the tire/gear change) is slightly suspect for my math, a rough estimate is a mpg gain of about 1/2 to 1 mpg. Which raises my trucks efficiency, loaded, to a little over 15mpg's. When I have a chance, I'll use my other gps which I think will make it easier to calculate mpg more reliably. I'd consider anything over 15 to be reasonably efficient for a loaded overland travel vehicle.

escadventure

Adventurer
The Duratracs have proven to perform very well in all conditions. Mud, snow, rain and dry. I'm quite sure there are other tires that perform better in one or two of those categories, but for overall performance, I'd definately buy them again.

Epix

Observer
Glad to see you turned this truck into a capable rig, I too have this body style which is a supercrew. I've been looking for other people here on the forum who have this truck and have made it into a rig that can hang with the typical FJ, Landcruiser, or Jeep. Thanks for making this thread, keep up the good work and I'm definitley inspired by your build.

Colby Jack

Traveler
I may have missed it. Would you please post some pics of your gas filler(s)? I'm considering a ute bed build. Have you had any issues with fuel delivery?

escadventure

Adventurer
UTE fuel filler

Here's a pic of the fuel filler arrangement with the UTE bed. Aesthetically not the best but it works well and was simple. One of these days I'll get around to prettying it up.

attachment.php

Also, I decided to mount the winch on the bumper. I've read on Expo, my original idea of the Reese hitch mounted tray doesn't work so well...

attachment.php

attachment.php

escadventure

Adventurer
Trans cooler install

thought I'd throw up a couple pics of the trans cooler install.

Went on a week long trip right after the install, driving in mid to high 90's. Looks like it's dropped the fluid temps 35 to 40 degrees. Seems pretty effective to me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

D

Deleted member 9101

Nice install. Just a little tip, put another piece of hose over the cooler hoses where ever they can rub. just some added insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online