OBD II apps and dongles

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Good thread. I have actually been looking into just this. I have an iPad with WiFi only...I'm confused as to if my iPad will work with Dash Command or if it will have to be connected to the internet to be able to use it? I know I could use it on my phone but it if uses data then I'd prefer not to use it.

Some tech person who understand me please help!

tarditi

Explorer
On my Xterra I used Torque Pro (android) and had an ELM OBDII port with BT that I paired to my phone. It worked OK. I was satisfied with the sensor readings for diagnosis, but rarely used the gauge mode.
One thing I did enjoy about Torque was the ability to configure the various widgets... I would fiddle with the gauge layouts and configurations for hours, but rarely used them in the vehicle once I got everything set up.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Good thread. I have actually been looking into just this. I have an iPad with WiFi only...I'm confused as to if my iPad will work with Dash Command or if it will have to be connected to the internet to be able to use it? I know I could use it on my phone but it if uses data then I'd prefer not to use it.

Some tech person who understand me please help!

For iPad you will buy an OBD dongle that can create its own Wifi network and then you will connect your iPad to that network to get the readings from the truck.

Once you've done that you will have no internet connectivity since the iPad can only be connected to one wifi network at a time.

It works fine, I've done it in the past when I used to run iOS devices.

overl4nder

Observer
For iPad you will buy an OBD dongle that can create its own Wifi network and then you will connect your iPad to that network to get the readings from the truck.

Once you've done that you will have no internet connectivity since the iPad can only be connected to one wifi network at a time.

It works fine, I've done it in the past when I used to run iOS devices.
After fiddling with these bluetooth wifi thingies, I have seen its better to spend 20-25$ more and get a OBD reader with screen. Gives you error code and other info you need. No need to mess with apps etc.,
More convenient.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Depends on your definition of convenient. I already have a phone/tablet, don't need to lug around another device other than the dongle, get constant updates, can integrate into a tablet for real time info combined with other systems, etc., etc.

Depends on what is important to you.

wiserfool

Just a note of caution. Most of these devices make you vehicle considerably more open to hackers. WiFi is far more open than Bluetooth. None of this matters on most offroad routes, but city driving is a different story.

rayra

Expedition Leader
After fiddling with these bluetooth wifi thingies, I have seen its better to spend 20-25$ more and get a OBD reader with screen. Gives you error code and other info you need. No need to mess with apps etc.,
More convenient.

If you're sitting in your driveway, sure. And want to spend $90-200. But I can run the free Torque lite app on my dash-mounted Samsung Android tablet, coupled with the $13 Elm327 bluetooth-android OBDII port dongle and get live vehicle computer engine data, configured as live gauges AND still get the vehicle fault codes displayed.

dashtablet02_zpsn0us69wq.jpg
dashtablet04_zpsonojqb8j.jpg
dashtablet01_zpsmhuqxwyl.jpg
dashtablet03_zpsaakxmzmk.jpg

I've got a $50 low budget OBDII scan tool, it's fine for reading the fault codes. But it sits in my rolling toolbox at home. The dongle and Torque app have it beat all to hell for getting data live on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier