OBD II apps and dongles

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Let's discuss OBD II apps and dongles. Is anyone using this set up? Does not matter if it is Android or iOS, let's just discuss. I personally will be using with iOS.

Since I want to use a mini for navigation, I don't want to buy a standalone device just for the OBD and would rather integrate to the one device.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I think I am going to use torque pro with an ebay adapter.

That's what I've been using with no issues (android / bluetooth). I keep the adapter plugged in all the time - and have actually read/cleared codes whilst rolling down the road.

robgendreau

Explorer
I've been waiting on this: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...fi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd?ref=live

The Kickstarter is over, but I saw it on recommendation from the guy that does Harry's Lap Timer (great on the track, or on a bike). He keeps up with what hardware is most compatible, and since the sports car and track scene is very demanding I consider this a good recommendation. The power off function seems especially nice, and something I like for my Scan Gauge. And BTW, that's still a great device. I actually prefer it in my van since it's so simple. But I've got an old iPhone 3GS that I might dedicate to OBD use. Considering DashCommand app, but maybe there are better ones. Maybe Rev. But the scantool.net folks are apparently the ones that will turn out that OBDLink MX wifi, so probably them. We'll see; I think it's out in August.

Rob

robgendreau

Explorer
How different? Wifi; either as AP or client. Multiple cconnections. Speed. Probably not important to those here, but a big deal on the track. The extended Ford parameters (dunno if all dongles do those, or the GM ones). And as I noted, auto power off (again, not sure if all others do that; I've seen BT ones that don't).

overl4nder

Observer
I bought a 11$ OBD bluetooth dongle for my Tata Safari. The car is OBD - II complient in a limited way.
So Torque(free version) on android works and shows some stuff like coolant temp.

However Bosch fun2drive app shows many other things like error codes in system, RPM, engine load, Torque, Throttle position, power, temperature etc., Also tells you fuel consumption.

On my Toyota(which is OBD II compliant), every app works fine.

I use this device with my android phone(Note 2).

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-

-
Toyota ODB2 USB Dongle & Software
-
The delivered Software Techstream is for Toyota - but it have also generic ODB2 Connection Settings.
-
On modern Toyota cars you can discable seat or door chimes and so on - much more these android/iOS dongles can do. Someone has to test it with a non toyota car i guess.
-
As Dongle i use a KIWI WIfi Device, together with my iphone what works well. But this USB Dongle above (you have to use an WindowsXP to connect (it can be a virtual windows from Linux or MacOs too)) has way more power.
-
To say it clearly this usb-dongle is more for an worldtrip where you dont see often an mechanic. In the civilisation you better let check your car, if an error occours. For some 4wd outings or an shorter overlanding trip - these wifi or bluethooth dongles are enough.
-
4x4tripping

fishEH

Explorer
How different? Wifi; either as AP or client. Multiple cconnections. Speed. Probably not important to those here, but a big deal on the track. The extended Ford parameters (dunno if all dongles do those, or the GM ones). And as I noted, auto power off (again, not sure if all others do that; I've seen BT ones that don't).

Yeah I guess I don't get it. I read all the info on the page and didn't really see any reason for ME to spend 8 times the price of a generic Bluetooth dongle. My Bluetooth dongle has been in my trail truck which has sat for over a month without being started. The truck fired right up yesterday so battery drain isn't really an issue that I can see.
WiFi vs Bluetooth???? I don't really see the advantage.
One of the beta testers used it on his Evo 4G??? I had that phone 4 years ago. The whole thing seems kinda like old news, IDK.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
for 8-10 bucks im buying one for each of my rigs so I can just go from vehicle to vehicle with my tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior