Scott B.'s Little Guy Offroad Teardrop Build

AndrewDM

Adventurer
Are you adding a battery for the trailer or supplying power from the dual battery setup in your truck?

Nice work on the rack, I am still wondering if I will add one on my trailer.

-Andy

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I power the trailer from the dual battery setup on the truck.

Since I have the refrigerator mounted in the truck (not the trailer) I don't see the need for an additional battery on the trailer.

I am trying to keep the trailer as light at possible, since I will be dragging it off-road.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I finished the new front panel, including mounting a 12V port and switch panel.

I ended up using a piece of ash - not an exact match to the birch interior, but close. I like the slight difference in appearance.

1P.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Kitchen Shelf Organizer

We started on the kitchen shelf organizer today.

The idea is to have easy in/out compartments for the items stored up there. (There's an earlier picture with a proposed layout.)

We started with the backing. 2 layers of duck cloth contain 2 layers of fusible interfacing. Snaps are used to attach the backing to the TD.

The next step is to add loop/straps to form the compartments.

1K.jpg

2K.jpg

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
I added some back-up lights to the teardrop. These should make backing up at night (either into a campsite or down my driveway) a little easier.

The plan if for these to be wired to the reverse circuit of the 7-pin connector, only coming on when in reverse. (I don't think I need them any other time.)

Before:

View attachment 218772

During:

View attachment 218771

After:

View attachment 218770

I still have the trim rings to install.

Next, it's time to move the license plate up and out of the way.

How did you route wiring to your backup lights? I want to move my license plate like you did, but need power to light it.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
Not very much. :(

Our plan is to get a Yakima MegaWarrior and cut out the middle, to allow the roof vent to open fully.

The older rack style mounted the cross bars fairly high off the roof. This allowed the vent to open, but at a cost of aerodynamics and catching on tree limbs. I hope the lower bars will not have these problems.

I like this new rack, but would kind of like to put a small clam-shell box on it (I think.) Would the old style side mount rack let the roof vent open with a box sitting across the bars? I sure like the flexibility of the Yakima system.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I like this new rack, but would kind of like to put a small clam-shell box on it (I think.) Would the old style side mount rack let the roof vent open with a box sitting across the bars? I sure like the flexibility of the Yakima system.

The old style rack bars are higher off of the TD roof than the Yakima bars, so there would probably be enough room under the box.

Yours is a 5 x 10 right? I think you have more room to mount the old style rack than I do on the 5 x 8.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
How did you route wiring to your backup lights? I want to move my license plate like you did, but need power to light it.

I have not wired them in yet.

My plan is to run the wires on the inside surface of the hatch (they will be visible) then into the cabinet (in the bedroom), then down the wall and along the floor (hidden) to the bus bar that the 7-pin is connected to.

fireball

Explorer
Hi Scott, been following your thread for a bit as we've been discussing a TD for awhile now. My wife and I just got back from the "local" LG dealer (~2hrs away) and had a few questions for you:

1. do you think the fan could be relocated towards the front of the trailer? We will have a rack and RTT and so will not have a whole lot of clearance. Maybe a side mount fan? No worries about interference with a rack load, but I'm guessing pulling hot air off the roof will be much more effective at keeping the cabin cool than a side mount.,
2. did you ask LG about add't reverse lights and relocating the LP? Seems like that would be easier for them to run the wires during the build rather than afterwards.
3. what is your solution for galley weather-coverage? This is a big complaint with our current setup....my wife cooks on the tailgate with the only weather coverage being the little bit offered by the liftgate. We've got an awning on the side of the truck, but that doesn't do her much good. Would love to figure out how to get a foxwing to work with the TD so that we have one awning providing both side and rear coverage, but that doesn't look possible with the galley hatch opening. LG offers this setup which looks like it might be a good option?
4. what was the motivation to go with other fenders? They look much better! We would want to have 16" wheels with matching tires to the LC so we might have the same fitment issues.

The local dealer just ordered a 6x10 silver shadow on a rough rider frame with the T@G kitchen option. Sounds like just about the same build we'd be looking for. That should arrive mid-September so we are planning to check that out as soon as they get it in. If we can figure out a few other details in the meantime we might just be ready to pull the trigger!

TIA for any help and info!

fireball

Explorer
Scott B.'s Little Guy Teardrop Build

FWIW, here are some photos of the ProRack roof rack that LG offers. With this setup you are able to open a top mounted fan a few inches before it would hit a RTT or other roof load. The top of the cross bar is roughly 6" above the roof.

ydybe2uq.jpg

yqequdum.jpg

Maybe Scott can measure the height of the newer Yakima system that he installed and that LG is offering.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
1. do you think the fan could be relocated towards the front of the trailer? We will have a rack and RTT and so will not have a whole lot of clearance. Maybe a side mount fan? No worries about interference with a rack load, but I'm guessing pulling hot air off the roof will be much more effective at keeping the cabin cool than a side mount.

Maybe a little, but probably not enough to do what you are thinking. The roof of the SS arched, front to rear.

2. did you ask LG about add't reverse lights and relocating the LP? Seems like that would be easier for them to run the wires during the build rather than afterwards.

At the time I ordered the TD, I did not think about having reverse lights. And, I was not sure where LG would mount the plate. Yes, if I had thought about it, I would have asked them to run some wires for me. However, I am going to add some lights to the underside of the hatch, so I will be running wires anyway.

3. what is your solution for galley weather-coverage? This is a big complaint with our current setup....my wife cooks on the tailgate with the only weather coverage being the little bit offered by the liftgate. We've got an awning on the side of the truck, but that doesn't do her much good. Would love to figure out how to get a foxwing to work with the TD so that we have one awning providing both side and rear coverage, but that doesn't look possible with the galley hatch opening. LG offers this setup which looks like it might be a good option?

We are going to make an awning, similar to the one we made for the truck. I've seen the one LG offers, but it does fit our idea/needs for an awning. Now that the rack is in, I have a mounting point for the awning. Once we finish the kitchen sewing project (under way right now) we will build an awning.

4. what was the motivation to go with other fenders? They look much better! We would want to have 16" wheels with matching tires to the LC so we might have the same fitment issues.

I am running 32 x 11.50 - 15 tires. The fenders LG uses are too narrow in both directions to accommodate this size tire. Also, I like the looks much better. The fender skirts do not hang down below the bottom of the trailer, giving a much better look, and more importantly, won't get caught on things while off-road.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
FWIW, here are some photos of the ProRack roof rack that LG offers. With this setup you are able to open a top mounted fan a few inches before it would hit a RTT or other roof load. The top of the cross bar is roughly 6" above the roof.

ydybe2uq.jpg

The profile of a Silver Shadow is very different than the profile of a 5 Wide. There really isn't room to mount the ProRack side supports - especially if you want them through-bolted.

Maybe Scott can measure the height of the newer Yakima system that he installed and that LG is offering.

What are you asking? The height of the bar above the roof?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I am considering this combination that would give me 8-9" above the roof and be removable.

h094953-F.jpeg
6215_thule-542.gif

LeRoy,

I originally planned to use the similar bracket from Yakima (the Side Loader) and some towers that I have. Unfortunately, the side profile of the SS (and where the door is mounted) did not allow me a good mounting point. :(

On the other hand, I think the track system from Yakima looks cleaner.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
LeRoy,

I originally planned to use the similar bracket from Yakima (the Side Loader) and some towers that I have. Unfortunately, the side profile of the SS (and where the door is mounted) did not allow me a good mounting point. :(

On the other hand, I think the track system from Yakima looks cleaner.

I know. What I really want is the Yakima track system with a high foot. Doesn't exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles