Scott B.'s Little Guy Offroad Teardrop Build

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Scott, I knew you were considering a LG but did not know until today you not only got one but made it into a really great little trailer. I waded thru the long thread and like everything you did and picked up a few ideas along the way. I'm actually planning on converting my trailer to a hard side and selling the RTT. I spent 66 nights in it this past winter and got very tired of that GD zipper. My mod will have a real door in the back so I can climb in, slam the door, and hit the rack. Here is a concept drawing of my plan.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416949437.384360.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
2014 Summary

I tallied up the usage of the teardrop for the year.

Total nights slept in - 29
Total mileage towed (approximate) - 8658

All in all, we are very happy with it, and all the modifications made so far.

I still have a list of mods to make, and should get back to them now that the holidays have passed.

1st trip for this year is in 2 weeks!

awol

Observer
So what is on your list of mods? Sounds like a good year so I am curious as to what you plan to change.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Scott and Laura are never in their own pictures...

AAVAR14005_zpsbf0a8c1b.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
So what is on your list of mods? Sounds like a good year so I am curious as to what you plan to change.

Not so much change as add. :)

I want to add some more lights to the interior and kitchen area. Inside, some reading lights and red LEDs (less light than the ceiling lights). In the kitchen, some lights under the shelf and on the tailgate (again, less light than the factory light.) The factory LEDs are quite bright, and I don't always want all that light at night.

Interior storage pouches, attached to the side walls. Nothing big, just some small pockets for additional organization.

Sliders/skids. I want protection around 3 sides of the trailer.

3rd brake light. I would like to have a stop light that sits 'above the dust' so trucks behind me can see it.

Those are the big items. I'm sure some smaller ones will be thought of as the year goes on...

awol

Observer
Not so much change as add. :)

I want to add some more lights to the interior and kitchen area. Inside, some reading lights and red LEDs (less light than the ceiling lights). In the kitchen, some lights under the shelf and on the tailgate (again, less light than the factory light.) The factory LEDs are quite bright, and I don't always want all that light at night.

Interior storage pouches, attached to the side walls. Nothing big, just some small pockets for additional organization.

Sliders/skids. I want protection around 3 sides of the trailer.

3rd brake light. I would like to have a stop light that sits 'above the dust' so trucks behind me can see it.

Those are the big items. I'm sure some smaller ones will be thought of as the year goes on...

Not a bad little list. I like the third brake light idea and agree on not wanting too much light at night. I've been looking around at different LED options for mine when the time comes. Hopefully I can get my build finished by early spring.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
As part of the interior light addition, I want to add reading lights on each side of the TD.

I found these Hella lights:

InteriorLight.jpg

They are 12" long, on a flexible arm. They also have a red lens.

I think I will swap the bulb for an LED bulb, probably with a little less light output as well.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I put 3 little pink LEDs inside one of the cabin lights with a separate switch, Scott. Just enough light for navigating around in there and a color that doesn't kill your night vision.
I had already replaced the cabin lights with LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs. I picked their more subdued "soft white"

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I put 3 little pink LEDs inside one of the cabin lights with a separate switch, Scott. Just enough light for navigating around in there and a color that doesn't kill your night vision.
I had already replaced the cabin lights with LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs. I picked their more subdued "soft white"

I'm planning on putting a strip of white and red (seperately controlable) LEDs under the cabinet for softer interior lighting. These lights are intended for reading - one person can see to read without blinding the other sleeping person.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I haven't spent much time recently improving the teardrop, as most of mine spare has been going into preparing the new tow vehicle.

This upgrade is directly related to the new vehicle - new hubs (bolt pattern) and wheels / tires.

I ordered a set of six-lug Dexter hub/drums from eTrailer.

2 drums.jpg

The studs are threaded 1/2 x 20. Since I am towing with a Toyota, I wanted M12 x 1.50 studs, to match the truck. (I thought about using SAE studs on the trailer, but with the Toyota wheels I used, the only available lugs nuts are M12.)

I found 2 options - new studs from Dorman, or wheel spacers with M12 studs. The wheels I am using have a fair amount of backspacing, and rough measurement showed the inside of the tire would probably make contact with the side of the teardrop. Spacers it is.

I ordered a set of heavy duty spacers from WheelAdapter.com. While I was at it, I picked up some Timken bearings and National seals for the new hubs. The ones that came with the Dexter were of lesser quality - and I don't want a failure in the middle of the desert.

1 parts.jpg

The studs on the hubs were too long to use with spacers:

3 spacers.jpg

A few minutes with a cutting wheel and die fixed that problem.

4 cut.jpg

Here's a view of the spindle/brake without the drum installed.

5 spindle.jpg

And finally, with the new wheels.

6 wheels.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Tongue Box Mount

The teardrop as built had a flat rack/tray across the front of the frame. While moderately useful, a better use of the space would be a locking box with fuel and/or water storage.

I found a nice box by Better Built, and borrowed the fuel can mounts off my other truck. I designed a simple rack using 2 x 2 square tubing, and welded it to the trailer frame.

While we were at it, we polished the front facing aluminum diamond plate.

Side note: this was my first welding project!

The teardrop as delivered:

1 before.jpg

With the rack removed:

2 removed.jpg

The not quite finished new rack:

3 clamped.jpg

And welded to the trailer frame:

4 welded.jpg

A little primer and paint:

5 primed.jpg

The finished product:

6 painted.jpg

Tomorrow, I will mount the box and fuel can carriers.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
DE V

Scott, Can't wait to se the new truck and all the new mods since last year on the teardrop! So....... how much fuel will you have on board? Michael

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Update to the Map

We just back from a 4600 mile, 11 state trip to Parashant - Trip-Report.

Here is our destination map at the start of the trip:

m1.jpg

And now, after the updates:

m2.jpg

This little trailer is making the rounds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior