Warn ZEON winches- experiences or opinions?

escadventure

Adventurer
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a good winch. Plan to use one of those protable mounts so I can install it into a reese hitch in the front or rear bumper.
I've got a F150 with camper, so considering a Zeon 10S. Anyone have experience with these winches?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That's a pretty new product so I'm not sure who would have real world experience with it.

What I do know is that the centered drum causes issues for folks trying to retrofit it into older bumpers/mounts. It's also more expensive than the old standards.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I've had mine for a little more than a year. I have the Zeon 8 on the front of my jeep and it's preformed flawlessly. The finish has held up as it still looks new. If you are mounting it in a reciever style cradle you'll have no fitment issues. They do make a Zeon cradle for them. They are huge and fitting them in certain bumpers is impossible. As for speed they are pretty quick but not blazing fast. It does what it needs to do.
AEV lift pics 005.jpg

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Never used the zeon so can't comment on that directly, however they are expensive! I am using a smittybuilt xrc 10 comp and I have had very good luck with it. I have submerged it in mud and water multiple times. The winch holds up but the solenoid is a piece of junk, I took it apart, cleaned it up and sealed and I have had no issues since. Also the waterproof version is not much more and I have heard the solenoid is much better... just figured I would throw an idea for a cheaper alternative. Also I like the idea of being able to mount front andback on a reese but there are some downsides to it. Generally it leaves the winch in a far out unprotected position reducing your clearances, so it is better to carry your winch in the truck when mounting it that way... causes a bit of headache. Just some decisions to weigh. I had it that way on one of my work trucks but on my expo rig I decided to solid mount it tucked behind a skid plate and armor.... though damn I wish I had one at the back too. For the price you could buy two smittybilts for the price of the warn and probably have room left to buy the steel to build a bumper.... just thoughts I think I will mount a smaller smittybilt on the back when I get back to the states, I will just have to double the line whenever using it. The xrc 10 can pull my full loaded f150 on a single line no problem.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Well, I worked for Warn for seven years up until December '13 and was heavily involved with ZEON. If you've got any questions, I can certainly help. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Andy

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I am also about to get a Zeon, my only question is after decades of building winches, the bolt to mount was changed to metric. I wanted the Factory55 security bolt, but they do not make a metric version and I even contacted them and they have no plans to make it. :(
Guess when I do get my Zeon, I will search online for a metric security bolt.

verdesardog

Explorer
you could always drill out one bolt hole and use a non metric helicoil insert..... much stronger than the aluminum threads anyway.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I am also about to get a Zeon, my only question is after decades of building winches, the bolt to mount was changed to metric. I wanted the Factory55 security bolt, but they do not make a metric version and I even contacted them and they have no plans to make it. :(
Guess when I do get my Zeon, I will search online for a metric security bolt.

Just replace the semi captured nut with an SAE equal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz