Tires & Wheels for RTW Dodge?

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Trying to figure out what the best option for tire and wheel size is for my EEXP build on a Dodge 2500. International availability is key and then offroad capability. I will only be carrying 1 spare, but will have a tire repair kit and onboard air. Any suggestions? I'd like to go with a 35" tire, but not sure of availability else where in the world. Appreciate your thoughts.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I have a 285/75/18 which is about 35inches. It's a great combination between wheel and tire; it is very light. However, availability for this exact match is pretty difficult. I'd look at a 35 with a 17" wheel or even a 16. They seem to be much more common.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
My 2500 4X4 Dodge has 17" wheels. I want to put E rated ties as I cary a truck camper. But the selection of 17 "E" rated tires is poor.

Does anyone make 18" steel wheels for these trucks? I don't want to go Alloy as alloy breaks when steel bends.

cliniford

Observer
My 2500 4X4 Dodge has 17" wheels. I want to put E rated ties as I cary a truck camper. But the selection of 17 "E" rated tires is poor.

Does anyone make 18" steel wheels for these trucks? I don't want to go Alloy as alloy breaks when steel bends.
The Nitto MT is E rated in a 35/12.5/17. Ran them on my 03' Dodge CTD and got 50,000 out of them. I believe the Toyo MT is E rated as well. I will be trying the Toyos next just to try a different tire. Was really happy with the Nitto performance though.

crismateski

American Adventurist
When I bought my Power Wagon, it had the Nitto 305/17/17 terragrappler AT on it and I hated them. They were mediocre on the highway, horrible in the snow. In the dirt they gripped pretty good for an AT tire, but they chunked horribly. I have since switched over to the Toyo MT in 35/12.5/17 and it is awesome. Quiet on the highway and wearing evenly, the grip is great off road and in the snow and there is very little to no chunking. The down side is they are heavy. As for Rims, if you dont want to go with something custom, I would look for some power wagon rims (they have an extra lip to help hold the bead) or a very popular thing with the Dodges is to run the hummer rims. The Hummer rim helps a bit with the clearance on the control arms, and has the same bolt pattern. I would suggest you check out http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/ the guys over there are great.

xbox73

Adventurer
Toyo MT in 17 x 12.5 x 35 is E rated & has a 3,640 lbs max load raring per tire.

And, yep, as pointed out above, very quiet on the road for an MT type tire & aggressive enough tread to be good off road too, though they are indeed heavy.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
When I bought my Power Wagon, it had the Nitto 305/17/17 terragrappler AT on it and I hated them. They were mediocre on the highway, horrible in the snow. In the dirt they gripped pretty good for an AT tire, but they chunked horribly. I have since switched over to the Toyo MT in 35/12.5/17 and it is awesome. Quiet on the highway and wearing evenly, the grip is great off road and in the snow and there is very little to no chunking. The down side is they are heavy.

Apparently "Great minds think alike" (or fools seldom differ!), but I agree with you 100%! I actually call the Nittos the "TerraCRAPlers", and have yet to drive a better all around tire than the Toyo MT. The Toyos are heavy because of durability/quality, and I'm ok with that!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have had many sets of the toyo M55 on work trucks so I got the toyo MT for my 1993 f250 6" lift 35-12.5-18. I was very disappointed in these tiers. In 30k I replaced 7 tiers due to blow outs pore wear tire chunking warranty was great never a problem but finally I traded all my problems is and went with a different tire. Now I don't know if I just got a bad batch or what because I have friends with the same tire on similar trucks with no issues what so ever. This was also 5 years ago I am seriously considering getting a set for my Super Duty cost look and a second chance as I loved how well they worked in mud rocks hi way.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I've looked into it more and leaning towards an AT tire on a 16" rim with a 33" tire on it. I'm thinking 305x70Rx16, but I've also been told it is easier to get a 285 or 295 abroad. Thoughts? Again, this needs to be an E Rated tire. I know there are compromises to everything, and I know I'll be putting in a lot of highway and gravel washboard driving on this rig.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I am not sure about the second gen rams, I know the 16 rim will not clear the brake calipers on the third and fourth generations. Might want to double check and make sure.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I've looked into it more and leaning towards an AT tire on a 16" rim with a 33" tire on it. I'm thinking 305x70Rx16, but I've also been told it is easier to get a 285 or 295 abroad. Thoughts? Again, this needs to be an E Rated tire. I know there are compromises to everything, and I know I'll be putting in a lot of highway and gravel washboard driving on this rig.

I know from personal experience how difficult, and expensive, it can be to replace North American size truck tires while abroad. If you can make it fit, the 285/75-16 is the easiest to find (295 is actually quite rare). There are also other sizes of 33" tire that can be substituted in a pinch, ie; 255/80-16. Also, start with 6 brand new tires (not 5). If space and weight are an issue take the 6th tire unmounted and store other stuff inside it on your roof rack. You can find someone able to change a tire in almost any small town, farm, mine, etc, but tire availability will be your biggest issue.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Good advice!

The 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 comes standard with 16" rims, so I think I'm going to stick with that based on availability of tires abroad and the ability to have a large sidewall that will allow me to air down.

I'm looking at 305/70R16 and 285/75R16 tires right now. I like the wider 305, but it sounds like the 285's will be easier to come by. It is hard to find a good selection of E rated tires in these sizes in the US!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Ended up going with the E rated General Tire Grabber AT2 285/70R17 on Standard 17" Method Race Wheels. Loving this combo so far after about 12,000 miles of very mixed terrain use. The tires are showing wear, but are holding up really well with the abuse we've been putting them through with 10,000 lbs of truck/camper on them. For sure will be writing a review after some more use on Exploring Elements on these tires.

Huge shout out to General Tire and Xplore Baja (wheel sponsor) for the support on this build!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke