Recomend an Android based tablet

SGTCap

Adventurer
I'm in the market for a tablet and the options have become overwhelming. I'm hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction. I'm looking for Android based in the 8" class with a removable micro SD card. This will be for personal/recreational use and as a GPS in my truck. Any help you can offer on both tablets and mounting solutions (05 Tacoma) would be appreciated.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I'm in the same position as you and trying to make a decision.

For me, I think I have it narrowed down to the tablets that are proven to work on T-mobile so that I can take advantage of their free data plan. It's a small amount of data but enough to run GPS. Compatible tablets are listed here: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700 . There are lots of options in the 7-8" range. I am leaning towards a 10.1" tablet right now for more of a multi-purpose machine. It will be a little big for nav but I have a big truck so it won't be as in the way as a Tacoma.

java

Expedition Leader
I have a Nexus 10, its very nice. No SD card though. But you can get an external HDD thru USB.

java

Expedition Leader
Nexus 10 doesn't have 3/4g, right? How do you handle mobile GPS?

Correct, I use BCN and just download the maps for the area i'm headed to. It has internal GPS. In a pinch my phone can run as a mobile hot spot which can provide the internet connection to the tablet.

Mapcinq

Ive got a Nexus 7, it works great. Nexus 10 would be good as well.. they are pretty similar. I use the GPS on it the same way as the guy above mentioned, but I also have a GPSMap 62. I have it mounted on a Tech Deck, along with my gps.

1453556_187592328098566_1124399895_n.jpg

SGTCap

Adventurer
you want mobile connectivity or wifi only?

WiFi only. I can use my phone as a hotspot if needed but I pay Verizon to much as it is, I don't want to add another data plan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

XTorrey

Observer
It's not Android based, but I like my Kindle Fire if you'd consider that as an option

Sent from the wastelands of Tatooine

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just a crucial point: I'm normally a huge fan of the Nexus products (I'm on my 3rd Nexus phone), but I don't think they're the right choice for this application.

Whenever anyone mentions the lack of external storage, the next sentence is usually that you can use USB OTG to plug in a USB stick. The problem nobody mentions is that enabling OTG *disables* charging. So, even if you're willing to build a custom cable, you can't have a semi-permanent setup where you can have expended storage without running on battery.

IOW, you'll be switching back and forth between charging cable and expanded storage...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Just a crucial point: I'm normally a huge fan of the Nexus products (I'm on my 3rd Nexus phone), but I don't think they're the right choice for this application.

Whenever anyone mentions the lack of external storage, the next sentence is usually that you can use USB OTG to plug in a USB stick. The problem nobody mentions is that enabling OTG *disables* charging. So, even if you're willing to build a custom cable, you can't have a semi-permanent setup where you can have expended storage without running on battery.

IOW, you'll be switching back and forth between charging cable and expanded storage...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is true, but double usb to micro USB cables are $10.

SGTCap

Adventurer
It's not Android based, but I like my Kindle Fire if you'd consider that as an option

Sent from the wastelands of Tatooine

Actually I did look at the Kindle Fire, although I thought they were android based. What do you use to downloads apps ad what apps are you running for GPS and mapping.

My big draw to the Andriod OS is the Google Play store.

Thanks for the heads up on the Nexus. I'll keep it in mind although I really would like to keep the expandable memory contained in the unit itself.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Kindle runs an Amazon forked version of Android. The Google Play store is not available on Kindle fire... Maybe if rooted.

For device longevity stick with mainstream, well supported devices. My short list is Asus, Nexus, Samsung (in any order).

java

Expedition Leader
Actually I did look at the Kindle Fire, although I thought they were android based. What do you use to downloads apps ad what apps are you running for GPS and mapping.

My big draw to the Andriod OS is the Google Play store.

Thanks for the heads up on the Nexus. I'll keep it in mind although I really would like to keep the expandable memory contained in the unit itself.

Look at the samsung Tabs then. They can do up to 32GB micro SD

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This is true, but double usb to micro USB cables are $10.

Reread my post: "even if you're willing to build a custom cable, you can't have a semi-permanent setup where you can have expended storage without running on battery."

The issue is not the cabling. The issue is that switching the USB port to HOST mode changes the power pins from inputs to outputs (per USB standard, HOST always supplies power to the bus). The Nexus hardware is physically not capable of accepting a charge while it's set to HOST mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles