A POP UP YOU'VE NEVER SEEN- The FERNWEH MOBIL

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Porpoising

Hi, got your message as a "visitor" then lost it. So thought I'd respond here:)
The Timbrens that I had on the back were solid rubber and acted basically as a bump stop with no real value. These I replaced with hellwig air suspension. I would also highly recommend using the compressor in conjunction. The pressure changes constantly and the compressor maintains your desired pressure automatically.
I have sumo brand on the front which is probably the same as your timbrens. If your truck is resting directly on the rubber, you may or may not need them.
What I have found to work best is to start with Bilstein 4600 series shocks on all four. "Performance" shocks are just not designed for the weight.
As I mentioned, the hellwig air bags make a huge difference. Just know that there is a "sweet spot" when adjusting. Too high and you are top heavy, too low does not give the support needed. For me, 20psi is the sweet spot.
I currently am using cab over struts by Lance and they seem to have corrected the porpoising. Still waiting for Bilstein to come out with the 4600 rear shock.
Looks like your rig has more rear over hang than front. Mine is just the opposite somewhat so I'm not sure how effective cab over struts would be for you.
My humble advice is to start with the shocks, then the airbags, then the struts. If that still does not do it, probably need radical mods to your frame or larger truck to support the weight. Hope this helps.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
escadventure, got any info on the underbed aluminum box? I have a UTE Aluminum bed on my F-250, and that storage box looks like it was custom made, or made specifically for the UTE bed.

I'd love to order a couple! This has become one of my favorite builds on EXPO, thanks for sharing all the detailed photos

escadventure

Adventurer
Hi Terra, thanks for the response. I may try the Bilstein 4600's next. The shocks probably should be replaced anyway. My camper isn't porpoising in relation to the truck so I don't need thecab struts, it's just the chassis porpoising some at 60mph on uneven stretches of highway. Something we can definately love with, but if something as simple as the right shocks would smooth it out...

Hey Every Mile, those under bed boxes came from UTE whenI got the bed. They were very expensive. I don't remember exactly how much. So much so that Randy the UTE rep tried to talk me out of buying them from him. I didn't know any better at the time. I think you can find something just as good on ebay for half the price.
Btif you want some info about them, here is the contact info of the UTE rep I worked with:
Randy Cryer
Ute®Ltd
206-510-8621 USA
www.uteltd.com
randy@uteltd.com

Also here is the info of the place I got the top boxes. If I remember correctly, they have bottom boxes too, and what I got from them is good quality.

U.S. Upfitters, Inc.
Inlad Truck & Van Equipment
2918 Ritchie Road,
District Heights, MD* 20747****************************
Toll Free: 800-377-5652
PH:* 301-736-0057
Fax: 301-736-0055
Email: angelika@inlad.com
Visit us online at www.inlad.com

the wasp

Observer
I love your camper.All is harmonious.
Very clean install and quality materials.
Great setup near St Michel

escadventure

Adventurer
Trip highlights

Recently did a 2 week roundabout through France, Spain and Portugal. Our goal was to drive no more than 4-6 hours every day to give ourselves margin for navigational error and still afford a relaxed camp set up at the end of each day.

Here are a few picture highlights...

First couple pics: urban stealth- not so much... stopped in Bordeaux to see the WW2 submarine bunkers.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The most interesting coastlines I've seen. Near the west border of France and Spain.
attachment.php

A stop at La Coruna to see the Tower of Hercules. Made better with great weather and ice cream.
attachment.php

At one of our wild camp spots somewhere between La Coruna and Santander. Fresh grilled fish and veggies for dinner!
attachment.php

A coastal nature preserve in Portugal. Supposed to be wild horses here but we didn't see any.
attachment.php

RoadForce

Observer
Awesome thread! Can't believe I only just found it now. I am considering options for the interior lining of my own homebuild, and I really like the grey liner you have. Maybe it is a non-issue, but just a practical question here: I was wondering, is it hard to spot bugs/mosquitos on it?

escadventure

Adventurer
The grey upholstry makes the interior cozy, sound damped and adds a bit of insulation. Not to mention velcro sticks well to it, so it's easy to hang small things... We've got a bug screen so insects haven't been a problem for us.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Crappy pics but you get the idea.

escadventure

Adventurer
Webasto heater install

Here is an update on the Webasto heater install. It is an Airtop2000 Benzine model. The diesel models are more common, but there isn't an appreciable fuel economy to the diesel model, that I can tell, so I went with the benzine model so I can use the heater fuel for my truck in an emergency.

Looking down into the bench cabinets:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The false floors above the heater install are 1/4" plywood. The cover above the duct, I wrapped in heat shield then foam insulation on top & added a finger pull. Above the heater, the foam is below the wood and no heat shield.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Outside the cabinet, the panel inlet forward and the swivel outlet aft
attachment.php

The heater fuel tank mount: The jerry can holder is bolted to the storage box, not the bed. The holder is actually cut in half and 'pinned' (look closely at the picture) back together so I can easily get the can off without too much hassle.
attachment.php

The fuel pump is bolted to the jerry can handle with a wing nut and lock washer, and the wire harness has a cannon plug to also aid in quick removal of the tank. The strap is just to hold it firmly.
attachment.php

System works great. In 40 deg temps, it heats the camper in about 6 minutes with the roof up/open.

escadventure

Adventurer
A little Nevada reconnaissance

Well, it's finally done - I retired and moved to northern Nevada. So we did a little trail riding the other day.

Found the Pony Express trail, saw some wild mustangs and antelope.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Living in Europe was fun while we were there, but we're gonna enjoy living in the western US.

escadventure

Adventurer
Spent a week in Grand Staircase N.M.

We just spent a week wandering around Grand Staircase N.M.

Fantastic rock formations and geologic features. America's open spaces are just amazing. And it was a lot less populated than some of the better known national parks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Killer photos!

Off topic, but do you have a link to where you got your boxes on each side? I have the same UTE bed and have been wanting to put some boxes on each side like this, and all my local stores only have white or black models. I'm wanting to stick with the aluminum look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles