A POP UP YOU'VE NEVER SEEN- The FERNWEH MOBIL

zimm

Expedition Leader
on one hand, i love the airplane style door, on the other, it seems like a bit of a pain when wanting to enter and exit frequently when bugs are about. you'd have to keep opening and closing it to enter and exit. i can never come to terms if i'd love it or hate it.

escadventure

Adventurer
Zimm - we have a screen that velcros in place over the whole door opening when we need it. It's easy to go in and out with it in place.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Zimm - we have a screen that velcros in place over the whole door opening when we need it. It's easy to go in and out with it in place.

next time you use it, please take pics of the system. my alaskan has a dutch door with a spring loaded pull down. i did about 90% of a cad drawing using a similar base as yours, but a raised hard top and full cab over, and i never could come up with a lower door method that i found satisfactory.

escadventure

Adventurer
Did a little camping and playing in the mud last weekend...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Wow, is an understatement! On an F-150 too, glory be, it can be done. What's the damage at the fuel pump? Do you get those gas ration coupons? Converted to MPG? How is the ride, did you do any suspension mods? Very nice solution.

escadventure

Adventurer
Ozarker, I'm getting about 13.5 MPG's. Check out the build link in my signature to see the slight suspension mods.

Craig, I suppose I'll have to park in a mud hole for the next photos. I know the rule, if there are no pics, it didn't happen...

This is, however, the one of the spots we were playing in...
attachment.php

Anything done different? Well, I'd like 22mpg, 4 more inches of clearance and about 200hp more. But everything is working well as a package deal. 13.5 is an average mpg for an overland truck, I don't want to make it more difficult to get into the camper (height-wise) and it's got enough power to do everything I want. Suspension and brakes work well even on the highway (the Timbrens cause slight porpoising on uneven pavement at 60mph). I will continue to make slight mods, hopefully without comprimising the reliability of the package setup.

AND, one of the most important details - my wife likes it and wants to keep traveling with it...

Terra Ops

Adventurer
My rig is similar and also has/had slight porpoising. I removed the Timbrens and installed Helwig air bag suspension. BIG DIFFERENCE. Also put sumo's on the front with Fox shocks 2.0. Have rear shocks on order as some of the bobbing still exists. If that does not completely eliminate it I'll be looking into cab over struts. Another mod that helped was wheel and tires. Had factory 20's, went with 18's and a slight outward offset. This too improved the ride.
286.jpg
292.jpg

escadventure

Adventurer
Terra - nice rig. Got any more info on the camper? I'm always looking for ideas to plagiarize from people smarter than me... (if they don't mind)

I'll probably end up installing airbag suspension when I get back to the states. Everyone who uses them speak very highly of them. It's just something I don't want to mess with while I'm here, as they're not nearly as popular in Europe.

escadventure

Adventurer
Remote camping in western Europe?

I spent Labor Day weekend running around the woods of St Mihiel salient looking for remains of the WW1 battles fought there. For a base camp I found a medieval, abandoned monastery. While there I didn't hear of another person, not even a car on a distant road. Didn't think that was possible in Europe...

attachment.php

attachment.php

ideam

I spent Labor Day weekend running around the woods of St Mihiel salient looking for remains of the WW1 battles fought there. For a base camp I found a medieval, abandoned monastery. While there I didn't hear of another person, not even a car on a distant road. Didn't think that was possible in Europe...

attachment.php

attachment.php
Awesome rig and unreal pics! Dont see any camp sites like that on this side of the pond

escadventure

Adventurer
Finished some work on the camper electrical system.

I made a mount for the 1000 watt pure sine inverter.
attachment.php

Here it is mounted vertically in the front closet of the camper. Please excuse the unruly camera string in the pic...
attachment.php

attachment.php

The 110v outlet next to the inverter remote switch (yes it's mounted upside down, to accomodate the cable run). And the 12v/usb cluster mounted vertically on the camper wall. The LP hose pulls out, to hook up to our portable gas stove.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles