Tinting Windows

Townsend

Observer
Moving from Florida (where tint is an unspoken necessity) to Colorado, I'm debating whether or not to tint the front windows of my new Tahoe. Wanted to reach out to you all and discuss your beliefs on tinting, what percent you have if any, and photos of your rig's tint.

PROs: Looks cool! :safari-rig:, more privacy for when I'm in the car, or when my things are unaccompanied inside, and obviously the shade/protection it provides from damage caused by years of the sun beating down on dash, seats, etc.

CON
s: Possible tickets (although I doubt I'd go anywhere near dark enough for them), but mostly the concern that it will hinder my vision when driving at night through the mountain passes, or in inclement Colorado weather in general.

To be clear, I'm not looking to "limo" tint my windows by any means. My current back windows are right at 20%, so I likely wouldn't go anywhere less than 15/20%. POSSIBLY a strip along the front windshield as well, but concerned I'd be staring at it directly (6'3"). Cheers! :friday:

digitaldelay

Explorer
That is a sweet Z71!

Personally, I would leave it as-is. Reasons are as follows:

- It can be hard to match the colour of the factory tint, thereby cheapening the overall aesthetic.
- 50% is about as dark as you can go on the front sides and not attract attention from a "motivated" LEO. I have had 50% on two of my vehicles' front sides and IMO the benefits did not outweigh the risks. 50% will give you some heat rejection but not privacy. You would have to go 20% to match the back and end up with the "drug-dealer" look. This can be very unnerving to an approaching LEO and is actually disrespectful to them, if you ask me.
- As for the windshield, just make sure your next one has the blue tint at the top (usually no extra charge). I really don't care for grey aftermarket tint on windshields (I only ever see that in Vegas). You don't get the factory gradient, just a (usually poorly) razor cut line.

Congrats on your move to Colorado!

Jason

jomobco

Now Decanter
I've used johns sunroofs on Santa Fe and Bellevue for many vehicles. They will match up the factory tint and tint to legal percentages (35 iirc)

Cole

Expedition Leader
I lived in Colorado for almost 8 years and can say for certain they ticket regularly for illegal tint, I never received a ticket myself but used to hear guys complain when they did, take a look at the law here http://tintlaws.com/ and here http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive/tint-laws

I've lived here in Colorado for 42 years, cop here for 10 of those, and I can say that a ticket for it is rare!!!:coffeedrink:

Any good shop can match the rear factory tint with no problem. 3m produces most of the tint they use and they are smart enough to make it match factory shades:coffee: The days of oddball purple tint passed 20 years ago:coffeedrink:

sargeek

Adventurer
Colorado resident with tint on my Tacoma; it came with the truck when I bought it used. Love - it does make a big difference I keeping the interior cool; it also provides a lot of privacy, people cannot see into the vehicle. Hate- using the vehicle at night, off road. The window tint makes it very difficult to off road at night in the dark. Makes it hard to see out the sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digitaldelay

Explorer
The days of oddball purple tint passed 20 years ago

Purple tint is caused by low quality (DIY-grade) films being exposed to UV light. Any decent film applied by a professional shop should not turn purple. Even if it did, the premium films have a lifetime warranty.

Jason

Cole

Expedition Leader
Purple tint is caused by low quality (DIY-grade) films being exposed to UV light. Any decent film applied by a professional shop should not turn purple. Even if it did, the premium films have a lifetime warranty.

Jason

That was my point!

Seeker

Adventurer
There are films out there that off high heat rejection and high transparency. 3M makes the stuff I put on my FJ62 and has helped that glass house remain a bit cooler. You don't necessarily need dark windows to keep the vehicle cool.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would leave it the way it is and get a decent windshield shade to put on when you park. Remember that the air is thinner up here and the UV is much more intense (that's why you will tan/burn much quicker in CO than you would in FL.)

My recollection WRT tint laws is that if you leave your two front windows (i.e. the driver's door window and the front passenger door window) untinted you can tint the rest of the windows as dark as you want. But if you tint those two front windows you must be at 27% all around.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I run 20% all around. My Cherokee came with the "privacy glass" in the rear where the actual glass is tinted, not a film tint. This makes the back look darker than the front. It keeps the interior much cooler when sitting out all day. I have had all of my vehicles tinted. Normally 5% in the back and 20% in the front. This is the first one that I did 20% all around but this is the first vehicle that had the factory "privacy glass". In Texas I think the front limit is like 28% or something like that. I have never been pulled over my tint and have never had it brought up when being pulled over for something else.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I thought UV light didn't penetrate glass?

I know, right? Some UV still passes through. This also causes faded upholstery and contributes to cracked dashes (although heat alone can cause leaching plasticizers. Mmmmm, love that new car smell :) ).

Also, it may be that glass only blocks certain bands of UV (A/B/C) but that is speculation on my part.

Jason

Cole

Expedition Leader
I would leave it the way it is and get a decent windshield shade to put on when you park.

Cause sunlight only comes through the windshield :coffeedrink:

(I'd tint the side windows and keep it cooler, less glare, and save the interior! Don't have to go dark, but anything helps)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Cause sunlight only comes through the windshield :coffeedrink:

(I'd tint the side windows and keep it cooler, less glare, and save the interior! Don't have to go dark, but anything helps)

Note that OP already has tinted side windows, as most cars nowadays come with tinted glass from the factory. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94