Bitten by the overland, having an awesome camping set up bug.

Matthew57892

Hello All,

I've been a long time lurker in several sections of the Expedition Portal, and realized forums do not become as great as this one unless contributions are made!
I decided about a year ago I did not want a camper, but hauling all my gear in and out of my Jeep and dealing with that was making camping more chore like then fun. I wanted a set up that wouldnt limit me to just camp grounds. so obviously the expedition trailer was a great fit. I searched high and low for a clean trailer to start with. I looked all over the western united states for something suitable to no avail. I decided building one wasn't going to be an option. I average 110 hour work weeks so the time I do get I wanted to spend outdoors. And as much as I love working on things, building a full blown trailer from ground up would take me a couple seasons I did not want to waste. So one day cruising away on my daily search the whole United States adventure I came across this. That's the day I got it home. With Cherokee at the time.

Here it is now, about ready for its first major journey. Ive mounted a CVT Mt. Shasta tent.

The Builder, had some well thought out ideas. As well as excellent craftmanship. He incorporated a nice table that mounts on the either fender. As well as the back cargo door being lined with bamboo flooring for a second food prep/counter space area. Will be very handy!

It orgignally had 35's on it in a JK lug pattern, I have an LJ now so I found matching wheels and tires to my LJ so I only have to carry one spare, the trailer sits a little high. but nothing to terrible. Both Jeep and trailer are on 33's

It also has a full solar set up with two 12 volt outlets, one interior for a fridge and one exterior. As well as inverter for standard plugs. This all runs off two deep cycle Exide batteries mounted in a compartment in the front. Behind the rack that can hold four water/fuel jerry cans.

This system does not use the best components. I'm going to get a gauge of how well it functions and possibly upgrade over time.

Underneath to get it down the road is a 3500 pound Dexter Axle with full electric brake set up. Can't see in the pic but there is a rear stabilizer incorporated in the frame in the rear while the tent is set up

How it will set rolling down the road, Im not a fan of them not sitting level, it actually drives me a little crazy. but I will have to make due for now until I figure something out. Sorry for the far back photo, I took it spur of the moment.

TwinStick

Explorer
Nice find & nice set up !! Is the trailer custom made too, or was it bought & modified to prev owners taste ? Looks kinda like a Sierra 4x4 trailer. I'm just curious.

Matthew57892

The individual I purchased it from did the full build up of it. I think he did most of the designing then had a fab shop construct the main parts. I'm not 100% on that though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94