Are DSLR's Dead?

Honu

lost on the mainland
the sony can after all where do you think the d800 sensors come from :) they come from sony who uses them in there mirrorless :) a touch different look to it but its the same :)

not picking on ya :) but this is the typical thing that happens when folks think DSLR are kings ? otherwise they would be shooting on med format if there argument the quality is not there and get that small advantage over DSLR

but this also proves the point even more you chose the D800e for one reason or another over med format ? knowing the sensor was not as good and was not as capable as the better med format why ? most likely price or size or lens options and the same reason many are now switching to mirrorless over DSLR for size and lens options or even price and knowing sure they might get a small touch less over the DSLR but they are OK with that tiny amount again just like the small lead Med format has over D800E and such
cause in the end they can all produce what we need

and very soon your D800e is going to be trumped by another higher MP sony sensor in a mirrorless camera that sony will offer and of course I am sure nikon will buy them and make a DSLR body version of the same sensor so you can use your current glass etc..... but once again your latest D*** wont be any better in the end just the one you chose for your reasons

I make big prints and there is not a mirrorless option out there yet that can give me the detail in a large print I get from my D800E. Until they can produce a PRINT better than a high quality DSLR, there is no point for ME to even pick one up to see what it feels like. If all you do is post selfies on FB, that's a different situation.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I make big prints and there is not a mirrorless option out there yet that can give me the detail in a large print I get from my D800E. Until they can produce a PRINT better than a high quality DSLR, there is no point for ME to even pick one up to see what it feels like. If all you do is post selfies on FB, that's a different situation.

read this with a smile :)

sadly this kinda childish poke well falls short ? most often I run across folks with high end camera that there income comes from another job other than photography who somehow think its the gear or the MP that makes the photographer ?
not sure if that is the case or not ? but I am willing to bet it is
if not and photography is %100 of your income then the same photographer that was telling me in the early 2000 film will never die and digital cant compare ! and before that in the 80s that was saying you have to be shooting med format and that tiny 35mm cant compare and well today the FF folks who dont understand current tech saying no mirrorless can match my FF DSLR which again some reason they think is king of the hill yet dont realize Med format is better quality or chose it for some reason over Med Format which again is why many choose mirrorless :) those types are always one step behind :)

I used to do commercial work but got out years ago but pretty much every month I was in mags like Architectural Digest, Conde Nast Travel, Food & Wine etc... very high end work and all on cameras that suck by todays standards ? so do those images suck now ? NOPE

a chef does not say OH I have to use these pans cause they are the best :) and if one is noticing the tech side of the image over the content side ? then I always say the content was not strong enough

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have to use a Land Rover cause its the best overland vehicle !

I have to use a unimog cause its the best overland vehicle !

I have to use a LC cause its the best overland vehicle !

I have to use a ? because its the best overland vehicle

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
sadly this kinda childish poke well falls short ? most often I run across folks with high end camera that there income comes from another job other than photography who somehow think its the gear or the MP that makes the photographer ?
not sure if that is the case or not ? but I am willing to bet it is
if not and photography is %100 of your income then the same photographer that was telling me in the early 2000 film will never die and digital cant compare ! and before that in the 80s that was saying you have to be shooting med format and that tiny 35mm cant compare and well today the FF folks who dont understand current tech saying no mirrorless can match my FF DSLR which again some reason they think is king of the hill yet dont realize Med format is better quality or chose it for some reason over Med Format which again is why many choose mirrorless :) those types are always one step behind :)

I used to do commercial work but got out years ago but pretty much every month I was in mags like Architectural Digest, Conde Nast Travel, Food & Wine etc... very high end work and all on cameras that suck by todays standards ? so do those images suck now ? NOPE

a chef does not say OH I have to use these pans cause they are the best :) and if one is noticing the tech side of the image over the content side ? then I always say the content was not strong enough

Exactly. I have shot with a Minolta 5D and got amazing big prints from it. its a 5mp camera. Why? Because its the utensil behind the viewfinder that matters, not whats inside it!

verdesardog

Explorer
Yep, I'm still using a D40. My photographs are as good now as they were when the camera was new......lol

but sometimes I do shoot with my Iphone just for fun.

My biggest gripe is when people base all opinion of quality on the MP. There is a lot more than that. And as the sensors and digital back continue to improve, the lenses have to advance to keep up. I'm not even a big fan of Medium Format, but saying medium format is a "small lead over D800e" etc is not factoring in the lenses associated with Medium Format cameras running high end digital backs. Not to mention the sensor size and quality. That said, digital backs have their place, and that's usually inside an air conditioned studio. Whenever we use them outside, we are covering them so they don't overheat, and always dropping connection when tethered. Always restarting the apps and camera to sync again. I'm even talking backs that are/were $45k new. They are very temperamental and fidgety, but when a client needs (think they need) the highest quality, it is there. That said, I think a high end DSLR with a great lens is the best all around camera.... For me.

Last edited:

texascrane

Adventurer
This has been a really interesting thread. I've got a bunch of Canon DSLR gear that I've had for years. Prior to that I had a Nikon system... F3, N90s, D100 and the associated glass.

I honestly haven't taken a picture with my DSLR in probably 2 years. I haven't shot a pro sports event in 4. I've just had lots of other stuff going on including my wife and I having our first child back in December. I just haven't had the desire to lug all of my gear with me and I would rather spend time doing stuff than photographing it.

I had a bit of a revelation this past summer using my GoPro to film my mountain biking trip to Whistler. The quality of video coming out of that little camera was amazing. It was small and easy to use so I carried it everywhere with me. It got me to thinking about what options might fit my needs better than a DSLR these days. I haven't followed camera tech at all over the past years but I think that if I had a high quality compact system that was easy to carry around, I might be more inclined to actually use it.

Since I don't know heads or tails about these mirrorless set ups, are there any specific makes/models that you guys can point me towards?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I always go back to Do you have the space or want to carry the extra lenses etc with you or will you just bolt one lens up to do it all. Do you want something that easy to carry around or Do you not mind toteing around a huge bag full of heavy lenses etc.

If you like all the lenses etc, go for the SLR, if you want light weight, go for something similar to the setup I am using. Two cameras. A small lightweight rangefinder style camera for easy carrying and a SLR style Camera with fixed Long zoom lens for wildlife and scenery. My two choices are the Fuji x10 and X-S1. Both use the exact same sensor, processing engine, and menus. Both of my cameras function exactly the same and product identical looking pictures straight from the camera. One is small, easy to carry but is all metal and feels like a classic rangefinder. The other feels like a pro SLR, again all metal build, great lens and handling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94