Old panel truck conversion?

Manitou

Maybe this has been asked before, but has anyone attempted to convert an old (think '55-58 chevy) panel truck into a camper? There's some that are already 4x4. I was thinking a modern engine swap (LS or otherwise) and a top from CCV (if he can find/build a top with the proper curve).
Custom interior by me or possibly a van conversion place if I'm not already broke by then.
Pipe dream?

joeyabisa

Adventurer
Maybe this has been asked before, but has anyone attempted to convert an old (think '55-58 chevy) panel truck into a camper? There's some that are already 4x4. I was thinking a modern engine swap (LS or otherwise) and a top from CCV (if he can find/build a top with the proper curve).
Custom interior by me or possibly a van conversion place if I'm not already broke by then.
Pipe dream?

I like that idea. Do it! Do you already have one in mind to purchase?

joeyabisa

Adventurer
You could do a pop top. it would be awesome. Or cut the roof and make it flip forward, sew a tent top and it would be like a "Flip Pac"? That would be really cool. If it flipped backwards that could be the back awning as well for an outdoor kitchen or extra room. then sew walls together like on the rooftop tents annex. So a backwards flip pac type deal with an annex below. bold classic colors- red on bottom half and white on upper half.

Wheels turning... You could possibly do that to a chevy nomad as well. turn it into a 4x4 and do the same thing. I haven't seen anything like that.

I had a friend who's dad turned his 65 suburban into a pick up. I always thought that was a mistake. He should have put a ragtop on it like the vw microbus'.

Last edited:

joeyabisa

Adventurer
This is the one that got me thinking, but I'd much rather find one running and driving (can do both crappy, but something to start with helps me as I'm not a real fabricator.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17125705265...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

I like that! One could really work with that. The price is good if no one else bids on it and there is only 7 hours lefft. Perhaps the body could be left alone and instead pull an off road trailer camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier