Base Camp Trailer Build

rwingnut

Observer
How did you determine the tongue length? I've found a lot of varying information as to optimal tongue length, ranging from match the wheel base of the tow rig to make it long enough so that you can jackknife your rig without damage.

I made a spreadsheet to work out weight distribution to get 10-15% tongue weight, with the constraint that I had to be able to open the FJ's big swing door without hitting the trailer. I then tried to balance how much I could jack knife the trailer while keeping the trailer as short as I could. I can't get a complete 90 degrees, closer to 80 deg. Can definitely reach a point of diminishing returns (i.e. trailer gets longer but only gain 1 deg). I think I ended up with a distance of 45" between the ball and the front of the storage box of the trailer. That will leave about 8" between the open FJ door and the front of the trailer.

jays0n

Adventurer
Looks great, love the 4-link but wouldn't it just be easier to get beer in cans instead of bottles, cans are the future of beer :) Glad to see another FJ'er here, sometimes I feel very alone :)

rwingnut

Observer
Looks great, love the 4-link but wouldn't it just be easier to get beer in cans instead of bottles, cans are the future of beer :) Glad to see another FJ'er here, sometimes I feel very alone :)
Yeah, there are more kinds available in cans now, but why limit myself. :)

DiabloBlanco

Very nice frame! Seems heavy duty with the 2x3. Thats a very nice suspension set up. Going all out with the air bags. I like that you put your wheels completly outside your frame. Some have notched the frame and made a 'wheel well' in the side of the camper. Your way maximizes interior space.

Cant wait to see more.

Sub.

rwingnut

Observer
I like that you put your wheels completly outside your frame. Some have notched the frame and made a 'wheel well' in the side of the camper. Your way maximizes interior space.
The notch is coming. I will be building the frame out another 6" or so around the fenders. Trying to get a bit more interior space.

rwingnut

Observer
I've added the fenders and supporting structure. I assembled it all up before attaching it to the trailer.
20140412_110310.jpg

I borrowed a friend's engine hoist to make a rotisserie to make things easier.
20140418_093206.jpg

20140418_100843.jpg

And then added filler plates in the fender openings. I created templates out of cardboard and dropped them off at a local shop (Keonig Metalmorphosis) over lunch and picked them up the next day.
20140418_122207.jpg

Next I'll have to switch gears for a bit and do some woodworking. I'm building my daughter a treasure chest toy box. That'll be fun.

navy jay

Looking really good so far. If you don't mind me asking, what stabilizer jacks are you using? Looking for some myself on my build.

navy jay

Those were the ones I had looked at, but was wondering if they would in fact be too short. I've got an FJ as well and I didn't think they would be long enough for the ground clearance I've got going with the trailer and FJ. You've confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks for the info and again, great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste