Base Camp Trailer Build

rwingnut

Observer
As we were expecting our new baby, I started trying to figure out how the family was still going to go camping. We don't really travel light and our greyhound takes up a lot of space. Adding a baby to that, was going to make things difficult. I realized that I needed a trailer, and the ability to keep it packed to be able to take off on short notice was a bonus. So, I've spent the last few months researching trailer design ideas on this site and have now started my build.

We like to explore forest roads and out of the way places in the Four Corners. I want the trailer to handle any terrain I may go on with our FJ Cruiser. I'm not a hard-core off-roader but don't want the trailer to limit where I can go. The trailer is to act as a base camp. All equipment for day trips will stay on the FJ such as recovery equipment, spare fuel, bikes, etc.

I don't want to be tied to the trailer in those cases we end up somewhere more developed so everything should be removable to be able to camp where a vehicle is not allowed. That also mean no roof top tent. I prefer tent camping on the ground anyway. Plus, our 80lb greyhound stays in the tent with us and I don't want to carry him up a ladder.

The basic concept is to have a rear tailgate that is the kitchen and a front tailgate for the cooler. The space between would be for storing all of our gear. I'll install water tank(s) for ~16 – 18 gallons. I'll be posting pictures and will discuss more of the design as I go along.

rwingnut

Observer
20140216_092904.jpg

20140216_130829.jpg

Here are 2 shots of the frame being assembled. The table is 4' x 8' for scale. I am using 2x3 .120 wall tubing for this portion of the frame.

20140228_161221.jpg

Here is the frame welded with rear supports and tongue jack.

rwingnut

Observer
20140302_131120.jpg

20140105_115738.jpg

Here's a shot of the axle with the weldments tacked on and the hole saw setup for cutting the axle contour. I wasn't sure how difficult it was going to be to cut 2 3/8" holes in 1/4" steel, but patience and a slow drill press made it easy.

Based on discussions on this site and advice I got from other forum members, I'm putting brakes on the trailer. The argument that sold me was: I'm building a trailer to go places with potentially steep descents and limited traction. Brakes are easy to add during initial design.

I'm using air springs and 4-bar linkage suspension. I'll explain more in a later post. But the punch line is: I don't want my beer bottles popping open while bouncing over washer-board at high altitude.

rwingnut

Observer
I opted to go with air springs and dampers in order to tune the ride for the weight of the trailer. I've had beer bottles pop open after riding over washer-board in Crested Butte (10K ft) and want to try to soften the ride. Since the leaf spring is what is usually used to position the axle, I have to do something else. I went with a 4 link arrangement similar to what's on my FJ.

Leaf springs would have been much cheaper and easier, but its been fun playing with this design.

20140307_131019.jpg

20140307_131038.jpg

Here are 2 shots of the suspension mocked up with pvc links. I wanted to check all the dimensions before I cut the tube for the links. I replaced the air springs with 4x4 blocks cut to the spring height and ride.

I got a set of 4 LH and 4 RH bung/cone/jam nut/heim joint from QS Components to build the links.

sgiandubh

Observer
Sweet build! I'm wondering about my trailer's ride quality as well. It isn't done yet, but hopefully it will be heavy enough to keep the tops on my beer!

rwingnut

Observer
Here is the suspension assembled with the links just tacked together.

20140308_142940.jpg

20140308_142913.jpg

I found 2 more factory steel rims for my FJ to match the ones I'm running, so I'll be using the exact tires and wheels as my FJ. My FJ tires were new enough that I've been able to do a 7 tire rotation. Like many discussions on this forum, I like the idea of carrying 2 more spares for the FJ on the trailer. If it comes down to using them, I can just leave the trailer to go get a tire repaired/replaced. I'm using Spyderco wheel spacers as adapters from the 6 on 5.5 lug-centric to the 6 on 5.5 metric hub-centric of the Toyota. I took this spacing into account when I ordered the dexter axle.

rwingnut

Observer
Now it's time for fenders. I couldn't find any fenders the right size so I got 3 jeep style fenders from etrailer and hacked them up to make 2 big ones. I cut the lip off of 2 and 1 of them in half. I then welded the halves onto the other 2. I learned the poor man's pulse mig technique to weld these together. Sheet metal is a challenge. I have always been impressed by the skills of professional welders. Now, even more so.

20131026_095742.jpg

20131123_095956.jpg

20131222_155234.jpg

Now this thread is caught up to my actual progress so my posting will be much slower. My next step is mounting the fenders.

sgiandubh

Observer
Good idea on the fenders! You get them from Tractor Supply? I stopped by ABC trailer on Juan Tabo and they said they could build some to my specs but would not have the rolled edge - which I like.

sgiandubh

Observer
Wingnut, thanks for the link. Reasonable price to boot.

Mark, I didn't see anything on Manley's website regarding fenders but I shot them an email. Have you purchased fenders from them? Was worth the browse just to check out their trailers.

sgiandubh

Observer
Wingnut,

How did you determine the tongue length? I've found a lot of varying information as to optimal tongue length, ranging from match the wheel base of the tow rig to make it long enough so that you can jackknife your rig without damage.

I think it was in a post from Mark Harley that I found this link to a table suggesting tongue lengths based on design and material strength vs. trailer weight. http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear84.htm

Great info, and based on it I think that I have some flexibility in length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles